NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Hazey Jane I cover

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dw94702

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Hazey Jane I cover Reply with quote

Hey all,

After working on Hazey Jane I for about 6 months, I finally felt it was under my belt enough to post up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fL6WwRh7o

Transcribing, learning and practicing this very difficult tune, and then getting to a point where I could get though it once in a while with no egregious mistakes was a truly humbling experience, and gave me a new and deeper appreciation of Nick's genius.
wisemanfreed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dw!

You're right about Hazy Jane I... it's definitely a humbling piece. But your guitar playing is spot on. You've got the form down too - really impressive. I was also curious to see how the Guild would hold this tune. I think it sounds great.

What tab are you playing? Doesn't look you're playing in CGCFCE, the tuning I play it in.

Overall very impressive recording. 6 months isn't much time to get a difficult song like this down. I spent 2 years on If You Leave Me.

Thanks for sharing! This really was a great video.
dw94702

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Blues:

I transcribed and learned this one myself from the "Tanworth in Arden II" bootleg. By far the best version I've found, and it's such a delight to hear Nick's guitar and voice so clearly without all the orchestration of the Bryter Later version. Another disappointment and mystery that this track wasn't included on "Family Tree."

I've got each string tuned down one whole step from yours, so the 6th string is tuned to Bb, and then capo'd on the 4th instead of 2nd to keep the same key of D (give or take a few Hz). I just find this easier because it requires fewer re-tunings of the guitar to play many of Nick's songs.
jrocha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job dw.
leachim04

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dw,
I really feel inspired by that to get a little more technologically orientated and start posting my own efforts at Nick's tunes onto youtube. Any tips? ...please give the dumbed down version. Wink
Love your playing...thoroughly enjoyable and close interpretation of a complex tune. Brill!
Mike.
Birmingham, UK.
HazyJayne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: nicks music Reply with quote

Hi,

Well what can I say,

that was something special. Really enjoyed it. Your time wasn't wasted I can assure you of that.

It was so good. Well done!

HJ x
BIGCOOKIE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job well done sir!

Lindisfarne-City Song
dw94702

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leachim04 wrote:
Hi dw,
I really feel inspired by that to get a little more technologically orientated and start posting my own efforts at Nick's tunes onto youtube. Any tips? ...please give the dumbed down version. Wink
Love your playing...thoroughly enjoyable and close interpretation of a complex tune. Brill!
Mike.
Birmingham, UK.

Hey Mike:

Glad you dug it. Smile My setup is relatively simple: audio is recorded using an Mbox to ProTools LE on a Mac, using 2 AT4040 studio condenser mics. And I use a cheap-o camcorder to do the video, which I then bring into iMovie where I put it together. This is about as low budget a setup as you can get.

Look forward to seeing/hearing your efforts!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: