It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hazey Jane I cover
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:36 am 

Hey all,

After working on Hazey Jane I for about 6 months, I finally felt it was under my belt enough to post up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fL6WwRh7o

Transcribing, learning and practicing this very difficult tune, and then getting to a point where I could get though it once in a while with no egregious mistakes was a truly humbling experience, and gave me a new and deeper appreciation of Nick's genius.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:45 pm 

Hey dw!

You're right about Hazy Jane I... it's definitely a humbling piece. But your guitar playing is spot on. You've got the form down too - really impressive. I was also curious to see how the Guild would hold this tune. I think it sounds great.

Last edited by wisemanfreed on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:29 pm 

Yo Blues:

I transcribed and learned this one myself from the "Tanworth in Arden II" bootleg. By far the best version I've found, and it's such a delight to hear Nick's guitar and voice so clearly without all the orchestration of the Bryter Later version. Another disappointment and mystery that this track wasn't included on "Family Tree."

I've got each string tuned down one whole step from yours, so the 6th string is tuned to Bb, and then capo'd on the 4th instead of 2nd to keep the same key of D (give or take a few Hz). I just find this easier because it requires fewer re-tunings of the guitar to play many of Nick's songs.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:43 am 

Nice job dw.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:47 pm 

Hi dw,
I really feel inspired by that to get a little more technologically orientated and start posting my own efforts at Nick's tunes onto youtube. Any tips? ...please give the dumbed down version. ;)
Love your playing...thoroughly enjoyable and close interpretation of a complex tune. Brill!
Mike.
Birmingham, UK.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: nicks music
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm 

Hi,

Well what can I say,

that was something special. Really enjoyed it. Your time wasn't wasted I can assure you of that.

It was so good. Well done!

HJ x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 pm 

Job well done sir!

Lindisfarne-City Song

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:37 am 

leachim04 wrote:
Hi dw,
I really feel inspired by that to get a little more technologically orientated and start posting my own efforts at Nick's tunes onto youtube. Any tips? ...please give the dumbed down version. ;)
Love your playing...thoroughly enjoyable and close interpretation of a complex tune. Brill!
Mike.
Birmingham, UK.

Hey Mike:

Glad you dug it. :) My setup is relatively simple: audio is recorded using an Mbox to ProTools LE on a Mac, using 2 AT4040 studio condenser mics. And I use a cheap-o camcorder to do the video, which I then bring into iMovie where I put it together. This is about as low budget a setup as you can get.

Look forward to seeing/hearing your efforts!

Dave

Offline Profile