NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Songs of Nick Drake in Durham

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinbyers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: The Songs of Nick Drake in Durham Reply with quote

Thought you may be interested in this... it's a great show and is a really respectful tribute to Nick's music and legacy:

The Songs of Nick Drake (1948 - 1974)
Performed by Keith James & Rick Foot

Gala Theatre in Durham
Saturday 9 May, 7.30pm

A complex, melancholy character, Nick Drake released only three LPs of beautiful music in his lifetime and was seen as something of a mystery. Now more than 30 years on, Nick has become the most revered of all English songwriters. With this in mind Keith’s voice and guitar are complemented by Rick’s inventive double-bass in this concert - not in imitation of Nick but in appreciation of his haunting and unique music. The first half of the evening includes a screening of a new documentary about Nick’s life and music, featuring Kathryn Williams and Ralph McTell.

“an absolute must” Mark Radcliffe - BBC Radio 2

Tickets: £13 (£12 conc)

Gala Theatre Box Office: 0191 3324041
Artery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the "new documentary" is the Under Review dvd. I got this recently and it is surprisingly good.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't seen it yet, but last year Keith James released a live-album with the songs of Nick Drake plus two John Martyn-covers. The play list is slightly different from the studio-album.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know Keith personally? I'm trying to get into contact with him through his website and email, but haven't got any reaction so far.
Peter Rice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith has said in the past that when he and Rick are on tour, it's often difficult for them to keep up with email and website messages.

If it's urgent, PM me and I'll send him an SMS text.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Rice wrote:
Keith has said in the past that when he and Rick are on tour, it's often difficult for them to keep up with email and website messages.

Thanks Peter!
Nossuri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nossuri wrote:
Hadn't seen it yet, but last year Keith James released a live-album with the songs of Nick Drake plus two John Martyn-covers. The play list is slightly different from the studio-album.

Just got this live-album. Keith and double bass-player Rick Foot played a very fine collection of Nick Drake's songs (plus two compositions of John Martyn). Compared with his studio-album, which was made by a larger group of instrumentalists, this is a more introvert look on Nick's music. Keith has a pleasant voice and his guitar-playing is excellent. The double bass (played plucked and stroken) adds melancholic touches.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith & Rick are performing songs from John Martyn, Nick Drake, Davy Graham and Sandy Denny during the Autumn/Winter-tour which starts.... today: http://www.keith-james.com/concerts.php

Quote:
For the past 40 years the ingrained body of music and somewhat tempestuous life of John Martyn OBE has been ever present in all of us who have appreciated the work of acoustic singer songwriters.

It is not surprising that a significant amount of Keith & Rick's audience, John Martyn's audience and music venues across the UK gave voice to the possibility of Keith & Rick performing concerts of his most beloved music in its original format: that of voice, guitar and double bass.

It is therefore, with the most personal respect and the humblest of hearts that this series of concerts are presented. The focus will be on the central integrity of the songs in their pure form on acoustic instruments only. Also included will be music by Davy Graham, Sandy Denny, and Nick Drake.

Nossuri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith will start his last tour of "The Songs Of Nick Drake" on February 23rd. More information on http://www.songsofnickdrake.com/tour_dates.php
Seran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Rice wrote:

I've tried contacting Keith to see if they have any London dates planned, but no reply! Would love to know if they have, as the only other one I can make is Bath and that is a long trip.

Thankyou

Seran

Suzuki Masajo
Peter Rice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seran,

Keith's tour dates are on his website:
http://www.songsofnickdrake.com/tour_dates.php

Put your postcode into the box on the site and you get a list of the upcoming gigs in order of distance. I don't know where in London you live, but the nearest gig is probably the one in Ascot on 10th June. That one is with Keith James solo, without bassist Rick Foot.

Maybe you have done all that and found that the only date you are free is 12th May, as that is the Bath gig.

PS Make sure you put the Tanworth Gathering on 23rd and 24th July in your diary.
Seran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter. I had checked the site - I was just wondering if they planned any London dates. But Bath it is then. Lovely city and a fitting place to listen to Nick's songs.

All the best

Seran

Suzuki Masajo
Nossuri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith James
The Songs of Nick Drake
The Unicorn,
Bekesbourne, Nr Canterbury, Kent
Sunday September 18th 8pm
01227 830210

http://www.keith-james.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Events/gigs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: