It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Robert Kirby - book of condolence
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 pm 

Hi everyone.

Thought it might be a nice idea to start a virtual book of condolence in Robert's memory here. It would be great if everyone could take a minute or two to add a thought about Robert's contribution to Nick's music and what it means to us. Once we've collected enough responses I'll forward them to Nick's estate to pass on to Robert's family as a gesture to reflect the huge impact his work has had.

OK, I'll go first...

Last edited by Matt (admin) on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 pm 

I love Nick Drake's music and have done for almost 20 years. I love his melodies and the wonderfully distinctive and intimate guitar style. I keep coming back to these albums year after year and one big reason for that is the arrangements - simply put I can't think of a better synergy in all of popular music than Robert Kirby's arrangements and Nick Drake's songs.

We, as fans of Nick's music, are eternally indebted to Robert for the skill and artistry he brought to them. We were also honoured that Robert took the time to speak to us about his work with Nick and that he occasionally stopped by the forum to add a thought or say hello.

Thanks Robert, we'll miss you.

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Robert Kirby-talented, generous man.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 am 

My heart goes out to Robert's wife and family. I only met Robert a couple of times but he lit up the room with his good natured, gregarious presence. He must have been a great influence on those who had more time with him.
I listened to "Way To Blue" as that track more than any other is just pure Nick Drake & Robert Kirby. It bought a tear to my eye hearing it, knowing now they were both gone.
You set the bar high and showed us what was possible in music.

Peace and Music

Stuart Anthony

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:39 pm 

On hearing of Robert’s passing I listened to ‘Bryter Layter’ for the first time in ages yesterday. With Robert in mind I listened to the string and brass arrangements with a fresh pair of ears and was left convinced, more so than ever, that the contribution he made to Nick’s music is immeasurable.

Like many contributors to this forum I regard ‘Pink Moon’ as a masterwork as it possesses a combination of intimacy and purity rarely found in recorded music. However, the other side of Nick Drake we all love is his ability to connect with nature and reflect his surroundings in his music and this is undoubtedly enhanced greatly by Robert’s skilful and sympathetic arrangements. Imagine ‘Hazey Jane I’ without the sweeping, ebbing strings or ‘The Chime of a City Clock’ without the evocation of sunny, city streets and hustle-bustle afforded to it by Robert’s clever lines and melodies. When Nick chose Robert to work with him and wrote to his parents that he was, “quite hip to my music” the great British talent for understatement was at play. Robert undoubtedly knew what Nick heard in his head and was able to realise this where others before had failed. ‘Bryter Layter’ has been criticised by some as been over-produced with too many elements besides Nick’s voice and guitar but I see both ‘Five Leaves Left’ and ‘Bryter Layter’ as being works of not only one genius but two.

It is all too easy to be overshadowed when working with a talent such as Nick’s but lets not overlook the immeasurable contribution Robert Kirby made to the music of Nick Drake.

Thank-you for such a great gift Robert and RIP.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm 

Day Is Done, Fruit Tree and all those other fine collaborations between Nick and Robert are for me some of the highlights of introvert, pastoral music I've ever heard. A belated Thank You! May the heavens enjoy your music.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:07 pm 

A big part of the attraction or appeal with Nick's music are the arrangements, and we all know who did them. Robert's contribution to Nick's music was enormous and he'll be missed, no doubt.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:49 pm 

There is a long and appreciative obituary for Robert Kirby in today's issue of The Independent newspaper

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 am 

I don't know how I could have failed to notice this thread, begun in October, but just have to say Robert Kirby's passing is yet another loss to the music world.

I never had the honor to meet him. But from my heart I am always thankful to him for being such a good friend to Nick. Besides being a personal friend, he also lent his considerable artistic talent to Nick's works.

R.I.P. Robert Kirby

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 pm 

Nick was the endless genius. Robert was the magnificent spectrum of endless musical shades whom Nick used to express himself and to give life to his eternal music.
Thank you, Robert. You will be remembered as one of the greats. Always.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 am 

God bless you and your family robert, you are sadly missed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Impossible be not fond of you, Robert
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 pm 

I think many humans were made to love magic, Robert. Otherwise, how to know your talent and your work with Nick Drake and do not love this? How to be not amazed and delighted by the beauty you built with your music?
I found Nick Drake (and you) at a little time ago and definetely that brought me a world of changes. As I read and learn, I notice a huge hearted man, humble and modest. What a thing to find on music business, it's a miracle.
There is more to admire on you, as your faithfullness to a friend, your love for music and your work. And I just came in now. Certainly it will be much more to see.

Then I pray you are at peace. And I pray your loved ones have comfort and divine love shed over their lives.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 am 

RIP Robert Kirby

Your influence will endure, your music will not fade. The quality of your back catalogue ensures you will always be in my heart and mind. My deepest sympathies to your family, you were one of a kind the likes never to be seen again.

Time has told robert was a rare rare find

Offline Profile