It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Buckley
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:21 pm 

Hey there

what do you people think of Jeff Buckley. Personally i love the man and cant get enough of his music. Making only one album before his death, his back catalogue would seem to be short but its not. His record company has released what would of been his second album, as well as deluxe editions of Grace and the Ep Live at Sin E . There is also a brilliant live dvd of a concert from 95.

So What do others think of him?

My main purpose of this post is to see if anyone here has ever seen him in concert or taped a concert or radio performance? if so then i would love to talk to you about it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 pm 

I like Jeff a lot, that album has grown on me but I didn't like it immediately, I never picked it up when it was fresh and newly released but bought it second-hand several years later.

Jeff was good, but I rate his father, the late Tim Buckley, even more so than Buckley Jr.

There's a nice dvd out now with Tim, My Fleeting House. Well worth an investment. Plus most of his records, particularly the ones he cut in the late 60's, Blue Afternoon being a favorite, but I'm almost sure most of Nick's fanbase owns, or has at least heard, Tim's music.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 pm 

I have a best of Tim Buckley CD. its good especially his acoustic style stuff. I dont really like his jazzy stuff its to experimental for me. I like a nice tune not an experiment. Still good tho dont get me wrong. Im interested in that DVD but i dont know if its really good to buy? whats your reviw on the dvd? how much stuff is on there?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:12 pm 

Its quite a lot of stuff, more than one could ever expect there to be. There are some performances of his avant-garde period, 2 or 3 songs, and I gotta confess I'm not too interested in his experimental period either, even though he rated Starsailor as his masterpiece, but those songs has grown on me, they're pretty interesting. But I prefer his folk-jazz stuff, Happy Sad, Blue Afternoon, that kind of thing. There's interviews with Underwood, his guitarist, Larry Beckett, his lyricist, David Browne, his biographer, very interesting. Not a sophisticated documentary as such, more like a collection of filmed performances coupled with discussion of Tim's life and work. Well worth an investment. Some great takes of Happy/Afternoon songs.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am 

my favourite songs are Morning Theft, Jewel Box and Demon John

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm 

Wonderful singing voice - 'Corpus Christi Carol ' is wonderful imho.

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 pm 

Seran wrote:
Wonderful singing voice - 'Corpus Christi Carol ' is wonderful imho.

An interesting note is that another Jeff B., Jeff Beck, was inspired by Buckley's album and recorded two songs for his latest CD that were also on Grace: Corpus Christi Carol and Lilac Wine (sung by Imelda May). Apart from a couple harder songs, the new Beck is full of introvert songs, but I must confess I don't like the orchestral arrangements. Compared with the arrangements done for Nick Drake for instance these are too sweet and kitschy, i.m.o.

Offline Profile