NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Gravenhurst-Very Good Band Who Deserve your Attention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butterflies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Gravenhurst-Very Good Band Who Deserve your Attention Reply with quote

http://www.gravenhurstmusic.com/

http://www.myspace.com/gravenhurst

Gravenhurst, a band from Bristol, UK, fronted by a very talented gent called Nick Talbot, seriously deserve your attention.

Albums most widely available are, (easy to get from amazon.co.uk):

Black Holes In The Sand
The Flashlight Seasons
Fires In Distant Buildings
The Western Lands

To introduce yourselves to their music at its best, I suggest you go out and initially buy The Flashlight Seasons, and The Western Lands, some lovely acoustic stuff and some lovely alt.rock.

Tracks I recommend you listen to for the very first time are 'The Ice Tree', 'The Diver', 'I Turn My Face To The Forest Floor' from the flashlight seasons. Absolutley stunning.

Seriously I have good taste trust me!

http://nickdrakegathering.co.uk/

Last edited by butterflies on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ostar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have their 2004 album "flashlight seasons" - it's pretty good.

May I recommend you Neil Halstead's "sleepin on roads" in return Wink
butterflies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Neil Halstead Reply with quote

Already got 'Sleeping On Roads', I agree, very good album Smile

http://nickdrakegathering.co.uk/
Sandyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the latter three Gravenhurst albums you mention there, is flashlight seasons really awesome? I imagine it to be the awesome first album that got them signed but the only bit I've heard didn't grab me...but that was a tiny tiny bit...need to get it really...

Neil Halstead Sleeping on Roads i awesome, I also love his latest 'Oh Mighty Engine!' solo album, its similar style but more jangly folk with mandolin and brush drums replacing the brass and electronics, good songs and it was recorded in the solar powered analogue studio where Jack Jackson works...I know he's overplayed etc. but the recording is lush!
Nossuri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I visited a record-shop in Amsterdam and they played some very fine melancholic music. A bit like The Chameleons or Sad Lovers & Giants with acoustics. When I asked what I heard they told me it was The Western Lands from Gravenhurst, one of the favourits from the man behind the desk. Of course I bought it. Just a few minutes ago I remembered this band was an issue ones on this forum. Chances are I'll go for more.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got their new album, The Gost In Daylight. After a short listen, it feels like a pleasant collection again. B.t.w. Trentemøller used Gravenhurst I turn my face to the forest floor for his album Harbour Boat Trips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: