NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Connections.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Connections. Reply with quote

Connections, Connections.

Funy 'ow things and names connect over years.

I see that Gabby, Nick's elder sister live at Much Wenlock abbey, in Shropshire.

But then find that such abbey bin inhabited by Mrs Gaitskell, (me friends wife's name), and
Mary Webb (me great-grandmother, though no relation, I'm sure)

Purple hair is passe. You shant see that soon again, on Gabby, or elsewhere. (Certainly not on her, in her
senescence...it wouldn't be befitting at 'er age.)

But `senescence' bring up a thought, that is, how would old Nick look nowadays?

He seemed to have his mum's brain, and his dads body.

Old man was bald, some pictures I seen of 'im.

'ow do you feel about a bald Nick Drake?'

Just old Father Time playin his tricks.
Seran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Connections. Reply with quote

bmore wrote:
Connections, Connections.

'ow do you feel about a bald Nick Drake?'

Just old Father Time playin his tricks.

Hiya. I could pick lots of examples, but Bruce Willis will do. I thought he was great in Moonlighting - and very good looking. I still like him even though he has aged - as we all do. A bald, overweight and miserable Nick - if indeed he had turned out that way - would make no difference to his music. I wish he'd had the chance to be that way.

Suzuki Masajo
Lumiere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a overweighted Nick, probably bald, some wrinkles on his hands and long, strong fingers, some little age spots. Still charming, still handsome.
Other day I watched James Taylor on Tv and his bald and aged figure made think about Nick. James keeps a charming man.
I believe Nick would be like that: charming and, hopefully, serene. He was an inteligent person, he would bring the harmony of his music into his life. There is a time for pain and there is a time for healing.
Dan33185

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Cave?
JHT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to comment a bit later when I have a moment.
LostBoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldness usally skips a generation Laughing
JHT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I wanted to say. Yes I agree Nick has maternal mental and I guess paternal physical characteristics although I am somewhat less sure of the latter. The question of what he would look like now brings to my mind some thoughts I had before relating to various photos and especially those by Keith Morris. Comparing the earlier year photos to those of the later year there is an obvious change I would characterize as (1) loss of youthful plumpness in the face by normal maturation (2) a change in countenance of course relating to depressed mood and (3) possibly changes related to smoking. I am not sure actually one can attribute visible change in a period of just one or two years to smoking but I can state with assurance that over the course of a lifetime it causes a dramatic characteristic aspect of premature senescence. Itís like taking a daily supplement turning one into a geriatric case. Some of the workers in the Keith Morris photos those standing reading the newspaper as I recall have the typical look of prematurely aged smokers. Photos of Molly appear to indicate she also was a smoker. It looks that way to me.

If youíre on Jeopardy next week and they ask you the number one killing entity bar none in the US at least and you want to win the money the right answer is smoking. 430000 deaths per year. Compare that to terrorism or whatever else you please. Deaths by two mechanisms. Cancer and atherosclerosis. Of course many smokers never get cancer. But the vascular disease is unavoidable because with each inspiration the tar and toxic products enter the bloodstream and henceforth the tissues. Now if youíre on Jeopardy and they ask you the number one killing disease in the US then the right answer is Ė atherosclerosis itself. Even in nonsmokers. For a total of 250000 deaths/year. But the thing is this. Studies show smoking just 3-6 cigarettes a day doubles the severity of atherosclerosis. So itís not really good enough to cut down. One has to quit completely. Itís the vascular disease of course which causes the premature aging. Itís not from smoke contacting oneís skin. These folks are pickled from the inside out.

Of the two traditional vices drinking and smoking well smoking will kill you Ė or just turn you into an old man at age 50 Ė and drinking actually helps prevent vascular disease. Provided one limits it to two drinks a day. Thereís like a 30% reduction is coronary and cerebrovascular events. Which is amazing. Red wine is the best.

So how would Nick Drake look today? Well if he continued to smoke pretty bad.

Please note this is NOT a moral issue. It is strictly a health issue. People do not smoke by choice or free will and they do not merit the consequences. Because the In Crowd understands of course choice free will and merit do not exist. In spite of brain dead reactionaries wishing to believe they did exist. Please see my posts under SNDS. I love to smoke but do not except rarely because it is too dangerous. But I do very much like to smoke. Anybody know where I can get or if they even still make Craven As? I couldn't find them last time. There used to be a similar American cigarette cork-tipped nonfilter Herbert Tareytons but they havenít been around for years.
bmore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craven eh? Yeah we still got dem here Canada.
Along wit `Dum u are' ie `Dumaurier' cigs.

A couple unique Canadian smokes, though I didn't know so, till now.
bmore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I wonder what your thoughts may be JHT about vaping. (And/or the thoughts of anyone else about vaping.)

Couple weeks ago I bought a new fangled thing called a nicotine vaporizer aka an e-cigarette whereby one puts a couple drops of nicotine liquid
on an atomizer which turns such nic-juice into a vapor which thereby supplies one with nicotine yet without the combustive deleteriousness of carbon monoxide and a host of over byproducts of combustion of regular smoking.
If you don't know about this yet then just google `vaping'. And you'll learn all about it.

My experience with it has been that it does not sufficiently copy the smoking experience. The taste of the e-cigarette vapor is not much like cigarette smoke, though it does deliver the nicotine. And the inhalation sensation is not quite the same, though close.
None the less I may have to soon make the break to only vaping: I bin coughin up half a lung lately.
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what effect does fear have on the onset of one's senescence I wonder? Contrariwise I wonder what effect fearlessness may have?

Which is better: living long or living well?

I wonder.
JHT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I did find some free time today to get here. The philosophy however I will have to leave until January.

I do know -- if one can believe pharmaceutical companies -- that nicotine replacements like nicotine gum and patches and medications like bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) are associated with a higher success rate when one wants to stop smoking. Theoretically a nicotine vapor product should also be effective though I have not read anything official. Most of these items carry premium pricetags and while the idea may not be attractive to some other smokeless products should work as well. Red Man anyone? Of course one would want to be sure to discontinue its use after 8 weeks or so.

If I needed to embark on a cessation program I think I would prefer the gum. Or maybe even Red Man. I kind of liked the tangy sweetness when I bought some as a kid.

I have a British friend who told me his uncle liked to say "If you don't drink and don't smoke you don't live longer it just seems longer". I am sure living in fear is not conducive to longevity however the vascular and aging consequences of smoking are so disastrous -- and inevitable -- as I said above that I would wager it better to give up the smoking. And alcohol like I said has positive effects in moderation.
Idontknow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHT wrote:
Here is what I wanted to say. Yes I agree Nick has maternal mental and I guess paternal physical characteristics although I am somewhat less sure of the latter. The question of what he would look like now brings to my mind some thoughts I had before relating to various photos and especially those by Keith Morris. Comparing the earlier year photos to those of the later year there is an obvious change I would characterize as (1) loss of youthful plumpness in the face by normal maturation (2) a change in countenance of course relating to depressed mood and (3) possibly changes related to smoking. I am not sure actually one can attribute visible change in a period of just one or two years to smoking but I can state with assurance that over the course of a lifetime it causes a dramatic characteristic aspect of premature senescence. Itís like taking a daily supplement turning one into a geriatric case. Some of the workers in the Keith Morris photos those standing reading the newspaper as I recall have the typical look of prematurely aged smokers. Photos of Molly appear to indicate she also was a smoker. It looks that way to me.

If youíre on Jeopardy next week and they ask you the number one killing entity bar none in the US at least and you want to win the money the right answer is smoking. 430000 deaths per year. Compare that to terrorism or whatever else you please. Deaths by two mechanisms. Cancer and atherosclerosis. Of course many smokers never get cancer. But the vascular disease is unavoidable because with each inspiration the tar and toxic products enter the bloodstream and henceforth the tissues. Now if youíre on Jeopardy and they ask you the number one killing disease in the US then the right answer is Ė atherosclerosis itself. Even in nonsmokers. For a total of 250000 deaths/year. But the thing is this. Studies show smoking just 3-6 cigarettes a day doubles the severity of atherosclerosis. So itís not really good enough to cut down. One has to quit completely. Itís the vascular disease of course which causes the premature aging. Itís not from smoke contacting oneís skin. These folks are pickled from the inside out.

Of the two traditional vices drinking and smoking well smoking will kill you Ė or just turn you into an old man at age 50 Ė and drinking actually helps prevent vascular disease. Provided one limits it to two drinks a day. Thereís like a 30% reduction is coronary and cerebrovascular events. Which is amazing. Red wine is the best.

So how would Nick Drake look today? Well if he continued to smoke pretty bad.

Please note this is NOT a moral issue. It is strictly a health issue. People do not smoke by choice or free will and they do not merit the consequences. Because the In Crowd understands of course choice free will and merit do not exist. In spite of brain dead reactionaries wishing to believe they did exist. Please see my posts under SNDS. I love to smoke but do not except rarely because it is too dangerous. But I do very much like to smoke. Anybody know where I can get or if they even still make Craven As? I couldn't find them last time. There used to be a similar American cigarette cork-tipped nonfilter Herbert Tareytons but they havenít been around for years.

So much of what your writing, is just so wrong. Why? Do not have the energy to type out, but oh..read...
toffina1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fgs! I smoke and I don't think I look that bad for my age....a little bit younger than Nick would have been but not much (I am, however, booked into the Stop Smoking clinic as from the 10th Jan Smile )

It doesn't matter what he would have looked like now because his music lives on and that's what's important.
JHT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to be the first to post under General Chat for the New Year 2111.

At least I guess I am pleased.

Happy New Year everyone.

Idontknow this is probably not surprising but looking again at what I wrote I do not see that I am so wrong and I really have no idea with what part or parts you disagree. There is a lot to read out there and if you would explain what you're thinking I would be happy to provide my careful consideration.
Denise NickDrake.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald, wrinkled, healthy, whatever he'd look like - as long as he'd be happy or at least content. Outside is just a temporary coat we shed off anyway at the end of our lives. As clichť as it might sound, it's the inside that counts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: