NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Anybody Here Eats Chickens?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Anybody Here Eats Chickens? Reply with quote

I know how easy it is to walk down to the grocer's freezer and grab uself a chicken for to eat.

Anyone think about how such chicken got to be in freezer there for you to buy??

Contrary to popular delusion, chickens do not behead themselves, gut themselves; nor pluck themselves, and then happily jump into local freezer there for u to buy and eat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last couple weeks I bin workin as a chicken catcher.
This situation arose of a couple thing.
Desperation and Nostalgia.

Desperation:
I needed some money quick. Locally there is an ad permanently
placed `Poultry Workers Needed Immediately'

(`Poultry Worker' is an euphimistic code for `chicken catcher'.)

No old white boys like me go catch chicken... the crew is mostly Jamaicans and Mexicans/Guatamalans

Let me tell you this is the nastiest job on the planet. I used to do it as a part time job when I was in high school, like when I wuz a 15 year old farm boy. Hence the nostalgia. But that was 30 year ago and I've discovered my body aint 15 years old no more.
By the time u is done u is covered in chicken shit and your arms are scratched to bits and every muscle in your body aches.
I plan to do this job till about March, when I have other projects to get to.
But at least I have other options... One guy on the crew, a Jamaica guy named Richard whose at least as old as me if not older bin doin this job 20 years! Just the thought fills me with horror.

Sometimes I think maybe everybody what eats chickens should go catch 'em, just for a day, for to see how and whereby they gets their food.
LostBoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cooking a wee dandy chuck right now and I thank you for chasing the little bugger and catching him for me but i'm a lazy so an' so and if you hadn't have done so, it would have been bloody pizza again Very Happy
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really any chasing involved for we gather them all together like 5 thousand in a crowd mashed together. and done mostly in the almost dark sos they dont run on ya. But then grab em 7 at a time and throw em in a crate on a truck; thereafter to be headchopped gutted and plucked.

I think I remember though the one I caught for you. I specifically whispered in chickens ear: `Hie thee now off to Oxfordshire, for to get roasted'. And he seemed to nod in acquiescence.

You mean they don't have chicken parmesan pizza in England? Clearly an uncivilized land.
toffina1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think that I'd quite like to be a vegetarian Confused
LostBoy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toffina1 wrote:
I'm beginning to think that I'd quite like to be a vegetarian Confused

Tried that one long ago and my stomach won't let me Embarassed
JHT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said in a perfect world I'd be vegan. For environmental and humanitarian reasons. But it's not a perfect world and I do like meat. I actually feel better when I eat meat. And then there are the observations about the human body being physiologically adapted to eating meat. Is that not so? Aspects of dentition and the GI tract. To be perfectly honest I really like Kentucky Fried Chicken. I know the whole thing is terrible. All the matters bmore reports and likely more. I like my chicken on the bone and with plenty of spices. I also always got a kick out of Col. Harland Sanders. Even though he's from Kentucky. Even though Kentucky has to be one of the most bigoted places in the universe. Sorry about that. It's not a matter of choice free will or merit. There used to be an even tastier product by a chain called Red Barn but they are long gone. But the whole issue bmore raises is engaging. About humans killing and eating other species. Relentlessly. Most everyone knows the old Twilight Zone episode. Aliens come to earth. They are so obliging. Offering trips back to their home planet ostensibly for tourism. Some humans are suspicious. A scholar starts to transate one of their books. He first deciphers the title which reads -- perhaps reassuringly -- "To Serve Man". Then when he gets into the text he finds out it's a cookbook. The irony of course is not just the ambiguity of the book's title. The larger irony is that we humans dispose ourselves toward all other organisms when possible exactly as these aliens. By killing and consuming. By the way it could happen tomorrow. And sometimes the tables are turned anyway. Witness the recent demise of Hendrik Coetzee. I kind of feel ashamed even mentioning such an incident for the purpose of serving my own ends. I suppose I would feel better if I ate some KFC.
bmore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a vegetarian. For quite a while about ten year. Though not quite. And certainly never was a vegan.

I had a strange sort of vegetarianism: to whit I decided that I would eat no critter that evinced its evolutionary status by attaining a face. Yes thats it a face. Clams have no face so they're ok to eat. Shrimp too; though some think them to have a face which I disagreed with and hence ate shrimp.

But fish no. Chickens no. And higher order of critters certainly not.

It seemed to me at that time that the ability to suffer and feel pain and experience the prospect of execution that is slaughter was likely higher the more evolved a critter be. And that increase in evolutionary level be indicated by the having of a face.

This still seems to me to be a valid way of thinking though I have for some time ceased to be vegetarian.

One thing I've come to know for sure is that life only lives on death; whether it be the death of a carrot or a chicken-- you're only alive because something has died.

Truly, Arthur.
LostBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegetables feel pain Smile
bmore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asbolutely right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_perception_(paranormal)

I suppose for one to pursue the quest of a very Jain like ahimsa one must only eat fruits which have of their own volition fallen freely from their tree.

Like the coconuts what bonked old August Engelhardt on 'ead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: