It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:46 pm 

Oh, and the cover of BL: It's hard to judge because it is so iconic and seeing it always brings Nick's music to mind so in that sense, I like it. In retrospect, there are many more photos of Nick that probably would have made a better cover.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm 

An article by Daniel Ross on BL in Rolling Stone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 pm 

Peter Rice wrote:
An article by Daniel Ross on BL in Rolling Stone.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read, especially the choice of the words "positive nature". I like that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:24 pm 

Interesting review, thanks Peter. However, it doesn't really alter my view that the album is over-arranged and that said arrangements often muddle the message/feel that Nick was trying to convey in the songs and lyrics. Indeed, the arrangements are often just too 'jolly' and seem wildly at odds with the lyrics. The key thing for me is that whilst 'Pink Moon' could have been recorded yesterday, and it would be difficult to pin-point when FLL was recorded, 'Bryter Layter' is immediately identifiable as late 60s early 70s. That. in itself, is not a problem, but it also reminds me of MOR muzak from that period. It is, IMHO, a great shame as the songs themselves are amongst the best Nick ever composed. I know there are those, many of whom knew Nick, that say 'Bryter Layter' was exactly how Nick wanted it, but I remain far from convinced. His reaction in the Sounds interview, which came from his own lips, is probably nearer the truth.

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:24 pm 

This is totally off topic but is it nick in this photograph? I've never seen that one before so I'm not sure.

http://www.last.fm/music/Nick+Drake/+images/54362623

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:23 pm 

Judging by Nick's attire in the photo it is a Keith Morris photo from the Five Leaves Left shoot - look at the ones of him sitting at Keith's kitchen table, the shirt is the same for one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 pm 

It certainly is Nick, a picture from the same session was used in the gatefold sleeve of the American 'Nick Drake' compilation:

LINK

Nice picture and a rare one because it shows Nick smiling. I remember Kieth often used to say he was annoyed that only the sullen pictures he took of Nick were widely used, but he put that down to the fashion of the time - an approach designed to make the artist look serious and moody

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Yes, that is a picture of Nick, sitting in a field of grass, but it is a reversed image, as are several other photos I've seen of him. You can tell from the part in his hair and the buttons on his shirt. (It is not the smiling photo).
I don't know why they aren't printed in the original image.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 pm 

wayne wrote:
It certainly is Nick, a picture from the same session was used in the gatefold sleeve of the American 'Nick Drake' compilation:

LINK

Nice picture and a rare one because it shows Nick smiling. I remember Kieth often used to say he was annoyed that only the sullen pictures he took of Nick were widely used, but he put that down to the fashion of the time - an approach designed to make the artist look serious and moody

Not doubting Keith Morris said this, but in turn I have this thought: If he had good pictures of Nick smiling (making them rare and of much interest then to enthusiasts), why are those not displayed on Morris's webpage? There are captions underneath some, so it seems Morris himself chose them or put this up before his own death?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm 

I may be wrong, but I think the website was put up after Keith died - although like I said, I could well be wrong on that...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 pm 

My word, some of those images of Nick are quite frightening. Image # 2 had always been the photo that touched me the most - how often I've wanted to climb into it and give him a hug. But #44 just scared me to be honest. I've been where Nick was in my own life, but I could always put my happy face on when I needed to, but that image is so visceral and raw. It's Nick's inner world exposed. Damn depression - it's a dreadful illness!

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 pm 

Nossuri wrote:
Thanks for the link. Interesting read, especially the choice of the words "positive nature". I like that.

I enjoyed that article too. There's a bunch of others that sum up why I love 'Bryter Layter' so much:

'Robert Kirby’s intricate instrumental arrangements, lithely draped atop the guitar'

'the kaleidoscopic feel of the record'

'[the instrumentations] are beautifully antagonistic, a constant balance to the lyrics'

'a Debussian wash of string textures and shimmering cymbals'

x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:18 am 

My first impression of Bryter Layter was Hazey Jane II during a YouTube session. I laughed to my husband that it sounded like a '70s game show and turned it up for him. He gave me a look that said, "did you lose a bet?" so I had him listen to Way To Blue afterward.

A couple of days later, he told me, "That Nick guy you like? I added him to my Pandora station."

I love Bryter Layter. Sure, some of the arrangements could be criticized as dated and kinda cheesy, but the songs are so strong that it doesn't matter. I may be one of 8 people who actually like the arrangement of Poor Boy. Oh, it's a hot mess, but to me, that's the point - so is the narrator.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 pm 

Thinking Bryter Layter is overladen with arrangements is like saying a tree should remain barren of leaf all year round because everything else which stems from it is clutter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 am 

It isn't like saying that at all IMHO :). It's more like covering a tree, when in full bloom, with all manner of rubbish in order to try and make it look even more beautiful, when in fact the tree is already a beautiful thing - with or without leaves! BL is over-arranged, and I even go as far as to say some of said arrangements are both lazy and crass! So there!

I only wish that Nick had chosen John Cale as collaborator for all of BL - I suspect it would have been amazing, and most likely successful. But it wasn't, and what we are left with is an album of lovely songs that are often wrapped like an item in a supermarket!

Now that should wake up this rather sleepy forum :)

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next