It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Best Setting to Listen to Nicks music??
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 am 

Were is your favourite place to enjoy the sounds of Nicks brilliant albums ? maybe you have a different setting for each album ? what do you like to do while listening to the albums drink? smoke? who with, when?

Maybe some personal issues that you dont want to reveal but give it a go.

I will add mine soon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:16 pm 

When I first got into Nick I used to put the LPs on when I got into bed and listen as I fell asleep - problem was I used to stay awake to listen as I loved it so much.

The most memorable time was after my band finished a day of sessions for the album we recorded a couple of years ago. Me, the studio engineer & our accordion player sat and listened to Pink Moon at 1am with a bottle of wine to wind down. Wonderful.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:31 am 

A few weeks ago, on a Friday night, I wasn't able to sleep. I ended up staying awake until 9 in the morning, but I watched the sun rise on Saturday as I listened to Saturday Sun out on the porch with scones and tea. Pure bliss.

I also have the same problem as Matt did. I put on Five Leaves Left or Pink Moon but often stay awake to listen and later realize its nearly 3am...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 am 

When i first bought Five Leaves Left i used to lay in bed in my dark little student hovel wishing i was a world away. The images the lyrics and music conjured up saved me from the black eyed dogs, i would stay in my room alone for three/four days at a time with about five LP's for company. Miles Davis -Kind Of Blue, Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left, John Martyn - One World and London conversation and Fairport Conventions - Unhalfbricking. people thought i was some kind of skint howard hughs. Althought Five Leaves Left brings back some haunting memories im addicted to it, its part of who i am now and every syllabel has ressonance with me.

Bryter Layter has a happier background i had by now left university and come back to the home town never wanted to return to but i had to through the neccessity of nearly killing my self with the drink. I found myself a job as a salmon fisherman on the river tweed with an older group of guys, we spent long hours breaking our backs for little to no pay but every second was magical. Every day when i retuirned home id put Bryter Layter on, the music and lyrics seemed to be a perfect match for the scenery i was part of everyday. Northern Sky just takes me back to glancing across the tweed towards Berwick-upon-Tweed on a freezing spring morning around 5 in the morning rain beating down, but then the sun broke through and everything was absolutly magical. I used to walk a couple miles home put the lp on and drift into an afternoon kip with a cuppa sitting in the yard at the back of my house.

Pink Moon again just evokes memories of a certain time in my life, when the fishing season was over i took a job in a nightclub in the town. Busy nights with namless house music pumping coursing through my body was torture, arguing with pissed up teenage males full of stella or unnatractive single mothers trying to take you home. but i used to walk home every night with my headphones in through the deserted streets and across the field home, id stop and take a look up at the autumn moon and listen to things behind the sun or pink moon and just be in awe of nature.

Nicks Music grabbed me and shook me from the first time i heard it. i unintentionally bought the music in chronological order , only through lack of funds being able to purchase and album evry once in a while. thankyou for listening

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:59 am 

Alone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 am 

Last year I was on my friends boat gliding along the Thames near Henley-on-Thames on a warm summers day. We played FLL and Pink Moon and it was perfect.

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 pm 

Gosh - Pink Moon at 1am! isn't that around the time it was recorded?! :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 pm 

I used to help out on school trips to Paris for kids and I would always load up with some good things to listen to for the 18 hour journey from Glasgow. I have very vivid memories of listening to Bryter Later at around 2am on the way down when everyone else had pretty much settled for a bit of sleep as we drove on and on towards Dover. It was about the only peace I got for the whole week we were away! :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am 

I have a very intense personal memory of listening to Bryter Later and particularly Hazey Jane in a college room in 1976. Let's just say it involves mutual seduction.

We've been happily married for 30 years this coming August. Every time I hear Hazey Jane I recall that very special moment.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:06 am 

uh oh!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:33 pm 

Listening to Nick whilst driving around Tanworth In Arden is a pretty nice experience - the music seems to be a part of the fabric of that place. I was driving into the village the other week (down Vicarage Hill) listening to River Man - doesn't get much better than that :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am 

Stay up all night, at sunrise open my window and sit on the ledge five floors up, stare at the sky as the sun comes up and put pink moon on. (spliff optional)

Retire to bed with a mug of green tea an sink into a deep sleep
Bliss

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 am 

I like listening to it in the morning. When nobody is awake but I.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Aw, memories!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:17 am 

Best place for me was the Isle of Lewis. I just have to play "Clothes of Sand" or "Road" and I'm back there! Sitting on a pristine beach, watching the waves lap, see the turquoise waters...oh yes.

Otherwise, it's the equivalent of him sitting by the bed, singing a lullaby.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am 

Jesamine that sounds brilliant

Offline Profile