It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nick Drake The Movie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm 

In my opinion its just a matter of time before someone makes an autobiographical/semi-autobigraphical film on the life/death and times of our dear Nicholas.

First things first , I hope its not a big overblown american style thing. Dont mean to offend any of our american counterparts but their style wouldnt suit Nicks story.

Secondly the soundtrack to the movie need to take in everything and not just play on 'River Man' and 'Northern Sky' we'd need to hear the influence of others on Nick Fairport Convention, John Martyn, Dylan, Graham Bond.

Furthermore it needs to be gritty, harsh, upsetting and realistic not glossy and all cliched.

what are peoples thoughts??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm 

I must say that I am rather surprised this has not already happened - although I'm sure I read somewhere that the main obstruction has been Gabrielle who has not/will not give consent (I may have that wrong - but I'm certain I saw that somewhere).

I personally think it could be a moving and meaningful film because depression is such a nasty illness to which Nick, who seemingly had everything going for him, succumbed.

Benedict Cumberbatch would be my choice for the lead (and he has already said he'd like to do it).

Music would be interesting. I don't think the general soundtrack should be exclusively Nick's work - his songs should only be used when portraying performances etc. And of course you could include influences and peers (John Martyn would surely be a raunchy role!).

I could go on - but I'm at work :)

It must surely be done at some point - and hopefully soon!

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm 

I think the way Nicks legacy has been handled thus far by first his mother and father and now gabrielle is a fine example to many of the other relatives of talented artists who have passed away.

The likes of Cobain, Hendrix, Ronnie Lane their reputation hasnt been helped by substandard often unauthorised shit thats been put out.

The John Martyn role would cetainly be intresting, Paddy considine is a supremely talented actor who would maybe be suitable for a such a role.

I agree whole heartedly that it could possibly be ana mazing soundtrack the likes of Donovan, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Graham Bond, John Martyn, John Renbourn etc

Wish i had a budget i could change the world..

Im also at work and bored out of my skull with this 9 to 5 dirge im goign insane

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 pm 

Why is my text appearing as 'Cumberbund'!!! I wrote 'C u m b e r b a t c h' !

Suzuki Masajo

Last edited by Seran on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm 

Now that is very silly :)

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:29 pm 

Seran wrote:
Why is my text appearing as 'cummerbund'!!! I wrote 'cummerbund' !

Well, I guess you like it that way (see http://www.nickdrake.com/talk/viewtopic ... 17&start=0) :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1212722/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 pm 

I actually did spell Benedict's surname correctly - but for some rather bizarre reason it appears as something different! Maybe Matt can help :)

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 pm 

There's a word censor list dating back to the early days of the forum when we got lots of spam postings. Basically, if someone tries to type anything dodgy it changes it. I'd give you an example but they'd both display the same so there's no point :D

In this instance the first syllable of Benedict's name is a word often used in spam postings (use your imagination) and the censor picked it up as a part of the word. I've deleted that now so all should be fine!

Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch - see :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

Seran wrote:
I actually did spell Benedict's surname correctly

Yeah, I know. I'm convinced you also did that in that other thread, but looking back at it, it looks that after you were corrected by another poster you thought you had mistyped it initially.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:57 pm 

whats your opinions on an inevitable life story production matt?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:37 pm 

Not sure I see the point really. I wouldn't want to see a fictionalised version of Nick on the big screen - it wouldn't add anything to the music. Sure you could make a great soundtrack from all the wonderful 60s/70s acoustic music around at the time but I can't see how it would work as a piece of storytelling. Aside from anything else you'd have to make up a fair amount of character stuff.

I have no problem with 'biopic' style films as such, there have been some great movies based on real life events ('World's Fastest Indian' is a good example) but I just can't see the appeal in a film about Nick.

For me a film (or any form of storytelling) has to first & foremost illuminate an aspect of human existence and either tell us something we know about life or remind us of something we'd forgotten. I reckon you'd have to substantially alter the course of Nick's life to make it cinematic (as opposed to just atmospheric).

Just my thoughts - I'm happy with the music Nick left us. I'll never know what he was like as a person and no film could ever tell me that (plus it doesn't really matter).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:35 am 

nothing really happened in Nicks career until after he died,is the rub

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm 

JoeChrisMorris , less of the bullshit please

Nicks story is very relevant in todays world of throw away talentless shit that make millions and sell millions despite their extreme lack of talent

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:18 pm 

BerwickDrake wrote:
JoeChrisMorris , less of the bullshit please

What bullshit, I didn't spot any! I think he's right - nothing much did happen in Nick's career before he died. Nick was a brilliant talent and recorded (for me) three of the best albums ever. It's a shame he wasn't recognised in his own lifetime and it's brilliant that he is recognised now. Does that make for a compelling story that clamours for a cinematic treatment? I'm not sure it does.

For me there's no point in a Nick Drake film just for the sake of a film about Nick Drake.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 pm 

I don't reckon any film footage of Nick has ever turned up

Maybe theres some of him at school in Cambridge (at least according to old issues of Pynk Moon) but theres not much of a story because Nick didn't really do very much

Aside from recording 3 fantastic albums!

Also, whats a film gonna contain, Joe Boyd poking him with a fork to get to Sound Techniques studio because he wanted him to put "Things behind the sun" down on tape for John Wood? Or tales of Muff Winwood of Island
trying to get him to go to a tv appearance

Theres not much there

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2  Next