It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NEeMA - Watching you think
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:55 pm 

I've just bought a stunning new album - NEeMAs "Watching You Think" (produced by NEeMA in association with Pierre Marchand and Leonard Cohen). NEeMA is a beautiful dark-haired lady from Montreal with Lebanese and Egyptian origins. One track on this album called "Running" has guitar playing that could easily have come from "Pink Moon" and cello that could have come from "Cello Song". It would seem that there is a definitely a Nick Drake influence. When I saw NEeMA live at Bush Hall last week, she also played a cover of Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town". However, she had no idea that there was a Nick connection, until I told her. Clearly this interested her, as she reportedly mentioned it at her Birmingham concert, the following night.

NEeMA also does live covers of Dire Strait's "Romeo and Juliet", Bruce Springsteen's "Ghost of Tom Joad" and Leonard Cohen's "Avalanche". However, her beautiful new album is almost entirely self-written (even though one track "Sidewalk" has a distinctly Cohenesque feel). I highly recommend this album; not just because of Nick or Leonard associations, but because it's an excellent album from a unique new talent.

Here's "Elsa's Lullaby":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePjdEhD2wQ0

All good things, John E

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:23 am 

I'm a huge fan of her, I saw her open for The Chapin Sisters a few months ago and really liked what I heard. She's really nice also, definitely worth supporting.

Offline Profile