NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

best strings for fingerpicking style
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: best strings for fingerpicking style Reply with quote

can somebody recommend what type and weight of strings are best for fingerpicking style?
Narcissus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently Silk&Steel strings are renowned among Fingerpickers, though I have yet to meet any. The Strings sound incredible when first strung, and feel lighter than the gauge they are! Alas they go out of tune regularly and loose all tone after a few days of light playing.

What is best is the guitar you choose. If you have not found the right guitar/tone wood then strings will not matter at all.
That said, if you have found a guitar you cherish try a set of 80/20 Bronze light strings with a bone saddle, ensure the intonation is correct, and you will have yourself a wonderful sound when fingerpicked. Bronze strings are great once worn in!
Phosphor Bronze is not really adequate for finger picking in my opinion for they sound strange under vigorous picking and seem to be a larger gauge than specified.
Try to avoid Martin strings (although I have a set on my Yamaha right now). The best 80/20’s are by D’Addario.
Also know which strings your guitar was made to be strung with. Believe it or not most pre-70’s/early 50's guitars sound superb with silver plated strings or the equivelent of that period (electric strings in essense).
Remember that a lighter gauge will make fretting easier but will not necessarily be easier for the picking hand.

Hope this helps. All subjective though.
bmore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I like Narckcistic but i must contradict him now in every way. That is I use Martin silk and steel strings, and I only like them after about a week of being strung, when they sound good and dead.... then I can play my guitar.

Otherwise there is way too much shine in the sound of strings.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting bmore for I have had the pleasure of watching and listening to your recordings. The sound you create is majestic! Your vibe is much understated yet there is a great deal going on with your fingers ( and with a guitar, I must add, which looks very similar to an F20!?).
After exhuming, I thought you used medium – heavy gauge bronze!
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Narcissus for your kind compliment; and allow me to repay same, though certainly not as a sort of small bird for tat deal, but as an honest appreciation of your playing.

For I happen to know ( having heard, eg, Hanging on a Star, and Hazey Jane 1 played by Narcissus) that Narcissus is a fine acoustic guitarist; and furthermore that Narcissus and the beautiful and talented Nya Shelley are soon to appear at the Nick Drake Gathering.

If i lived anywhere nearby I would be sure to attend. The goddamn Atlantic Ocean however, supervenes.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome and thank you for your kind words.

As bmore mentioned I performed with beautiful Nya on the Friday of that timeless weekend in July. I offer a link to said performance but please refrain from passing comment, whether it is praise or criticism, for this is something we feel uncomfortable with.

Road

Incidentally - I was picking with thumb and index finger only, so it is not set in stone that one must use all digits; it is fundamentally subjective, thus picking should come as naturally as it happens. Stick to what feels good and comfortable for you!

Regards to all
bmore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that,, because I watched vid a couple times and didn't see any other of your other fingos moving and I thought ..`how the hell is he doin that'...
LostBoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'd never thought of trying it like that either. Road is one i've avoided due to the stretch involved (along with some others) as I tend to be quite a lazy player and have some arthuritus in my hands as well.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! thanks for your time and your answers!

=)

where is your music, bmore? youtube? myspace?
Narcissus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
where is your music, bmore? youtube? myspace?

Click on the 'www.' icon below bmore's post and you will arrive at his youtube channel where you will find something uniquelybeautiful
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yes... thanks! i'm hanging on a star (?)
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(by the way,,, I caught that little mishit at 1:06 of the vid, and your subsequent smile at the audience.... I think that's the only good way to deal with such)
Narcissus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands were spiralling due to nerves, I did not know what else to do; all our hard work could have unravelled from that moment on… so I thought it funny considering the circumstance, having spent the most part of a month to be competent.

It was stupid to make a mistake.

I respect all the performers who held their nerve on the night, before over a hundred people who knew Drake’s songs so very well!!
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narcissus wrote:
My hands were spiralling due to nerves, I did not know what else to do; all our hard work could have unravelled from that moment on… so I thought it funny considering the circumstance, having spent the most part of a month to be competent.

It was stupid to make a mistake.

I respect all the performers who held their nerve on the night, before over a hundred people who knew Drake’s songs so very well!!

my teacher of bandoneon says that we need to emulate, in our study time, the conditions of the moments when we play in public (tension, nerves...). and how can we do this? speed. after the slow and patient study of the piece, we must be able to increase the speed without mistakes. and if we make a mistake in the new tempo, we need to re-study again the wrong part. speed shows all that is hidden and ready to appear at the wrong time... speed raises our tension threshold.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly take your post onboard Lucas, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: