NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Five Leaves Left covered

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan33185

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Five Leaves Left covered Reply with quote

Thought this might be of interest:

Nick Drake released his first album, Five Leaves Left, five years before his death. Barely out of his teens, Drake wrote almost unnervingly mature songs, and married them with sympathetic backing by members of Fairport Convention and Pentangle, and string arrangements by Robert Kirby, a friend and classmate only two months older than Drake. The album featured some of his most expressive singing and playing, and his songs, so melancholy yet so light, wore their graveness like a black silk cloak. Painfully shy, he refused to tour behind it, and the album was poorly marketed. It was doomed to sink with barely a trace. But oh, that traceÖ

Forty-two years to the month after its first appearance in record shops, Five Leaves Left has become one of the three legs on the table that bears Nick Drakeís legacy. People are still discovering his work in droves, and finding their way through the sad, beautiful, and timeless atmosphere of that first album. His life and death threatened to overshadow his songs, but in the end they canít; the songs slip their bonds, affecting people who may know nothing of their creator. Itís ironic that a man who couldnít bring himself to reach out to an audience in his lifetime has left behind music that continues to do the reaching for him, both in his recordings and in the performances of those who have spread his gospel by covering him. Here are the ten songs of Five Leaves Left, as played by those who were moved enough by them to bring them to us.

MP3's here:

http://www.covermesongs.com/2011/09/full-albums-nick-drakes-five-leaves-left.html
Nossuri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. In fact I really never thought of this possibility, but now I see this I know I can compile almost the same album from my collection of Nick's covers. Most of them are indeed on this one. It wouldn't surprise me the same can be done with Pink Moon. Bryter Layter will be more difficult because of the instrumentals that haven't been covered a lot, if at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: