It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bridget St John with Michael Chapman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 am 

This week, I saw two of the most excellent and intimate concerts I've ever seen - Bridget St John with Michael Chapman at The Green Note Cafe Camden and The Grey's pub, Brighton (with tickets a mere £10 each!). For those unfamiliar with her work, Bridget was one of John Peel's two favourite female singers in the early Seventies (along with Sandy Denny) and recorded one of the first records on his Dandelion label. Until this week, I hadn't seen Bridget live for 38 years, even though I've seen Michael Chapman numerous times in the past decade. Bridget has been described as the nearest thing to "a female Nick Drake" (even though such comparisons are ultimately pointless!). In these sublime shows, she paid tribute to John Martyn, and her version of "Back to Stay" brought tears to my eyes. She mentioned a brief trip she made to Aix-en-Provence in 1967, and her meeting Robin Frederick there, through whom she then met John Martyn. After their solo sets, Bridget and Michael played some songs together. These included a beautiful version of Nick's "One of These Things First", with Bridget singing and Michael accopanying on guitar. It should also be noted that Michael has finally released his fine version of "Which Will" on his most recent studio album "Sweet Powder". After the present tour, Bridget (who currently lives in New York) will be playing in the UK again with Michael in 2010. You can check out Bridget's work on the following myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/bridgetstjohn

All good things, John E

Offline Profile  

Post subject: The Cherry Red TV video
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 am 

16 minutes and 26 seconds of musical bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0R3veIQU1k

Love to all, John E

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm 

Newly announced Michael Chapman and Bridget St John gig - Tues 20 April, 8pm, Sanctuary Cafe, 51-55 Brunswick St East, Hove, 01273 770002. Tickets £10, £9 advance resident / rounder records; www.wegottickets.com; or contact [email protected]

For other Bridget & Michael dates see www.michaelchapman.co.uk

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 pm 

Chapman is playing the Prince Albert, Brighton, May 2nd - No Bridget St John as yet?

I will be there anyhow

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 pm 

Michael is also playing at the Slaughtered Lamb pub in Clerkenwell on May 1st, 2012.

Check out www.michaelchapman.co.uk

No Bridget St. John gigs at present. but I know she would like to play in the U.K. again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 am 

I now have spoken with Michael Chapman, with a signature to go with all. I will crawl away from what I have just experienced.

Chapman said Bridget was at home caring for her husband.

The support act was a pleasure to behold; Hiss Golden Messenger/.

Offline Profile