NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Bridget St John with Michael Chapman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Etherington

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Bridget St John with Michael Chapman Reply with quote

This week, I saw two of the most excellent and intimate concerts I've ever seen - Bridget St John with Michael Chapman at The Green Note Cafe Camden and The Grey's pub, Brighton (with tickets a mere 10 each!). For those unfamiliar with her work, Bridget was one of John Peel's two favourite female singers in the early Seventies (along with Sandy Denny) and recorded one of the first records on his Dandelion label. Until this week, I hadn't seen Bridget live for 38 years, even though I've seen Michael Chapman numerous times in the past decade. Bridget has been described as the nearest thing to "a female Nick Drake" (even though such comparisons are ultimately pointless!). In these sublime shows, she paid tribute to John Martyn, and her version of "Back to Stay" brought tears to my eyes. She mentioned a brief trip she made to Aix-en-Provence in 1967, and her meeting Robin Frederick there, through whom she then met John Martyn. After their solo sets, Bridget and Michael played some songs together. These included a beautiful version of Nick's "One of These Things First", with Bridget singing and Michael accopanying on guitar. It should also be noted that Michael has finally released his fine version of "Which Will" on his most recent studio album "Sweet Powder". After the present tour, Bridget (who currently lives in New York) will be playing in the UK again with Michael in 2010. You can check out Bridget's work on the following myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/bridgetstjohn

All good things, John E
John Etherington

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: The Cherry Red TV video Reply with quote

16 minutes and 26 seconds of musical bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0R3veIQU1k

Love to all, John E
John Etherington

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newly announced Michael Chapman and Bridget St John gig - Tues 20 April, 8pm, Sanctuary Cafe, 51-55 Brunswick St East, Hove, 01273 770002. Tickets 10, 9 advance resident / rounder records; www.wegottickets.com; or contact paulandashley@ntlworld.com

For other Bridget & Michael dates see www.michaelchapman.co.uk
Narcissus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapman is playing the Prince Albert, Brighton, May 2nd - No Bridget St John as yet?

I will be there anyhow
John Etherington

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael is also playing at the Slaughtered Lamb pub in Clerkenwell on May 1st, 2012.

Check out www.michaelchapman.co.uk

No Bridget St. John gigs at present. but I know she would like to play in the U.K. again.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have spoken with Michael Chapman, with a signature to go with all. I will crawl away from what I have just experienced.

Chapman said Bridget was at home caring for her husband.

The support act was a pleasure to behold; Hiss Golden Messenger/.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: