It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: You Got To Cross That Lonesome Valley
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:36 am 

This post encompasses two entirely disparate topics.

I have entitled it “You Got To Cross That Lonesome Valley”. Essentially because I wanted to.

“You Got To Cross That Lonesome Valley” is sung by John Jacob Niles.

I'm quite sure Nick Drake never did a rendition. But I can imagine him doing so.

What I actually want to talk about is Facebook stock's IPO this next Friday 17th May.

Are you going to buy Facebook stock? Would you like to? Let me raise the hypothetical question – in this post which of course has nothing to do with Nick Drake – of whether Nick Drake were he alive would or would not in his middle aged wealth and wisdom purchase stock in Facebook's IPO.

There are factors of course both positive and negative regarding the outlook for Facebook stock.

Let me also share the matter that if one wants to buy the stock for example through Fidelity Investments one must have at least a $250000 portfolio.

This means most persons cannot buy the IPO even if they want to. Because they are not sufficiently wealthy.

Does that seem right? That only the well-off are offered this opportunity for potentially greater wealth?

This in turn raises questions about social and economic theory.

For those hastily deciding it is “not fair” that only the wealthy get to buy Facebook's IPO consider the following element of wisdom of conservative ideology.

The element of wisdom of conservative ideology is that in facilitating matters for an individual one is in fact rendering harm by disincentivization. By helping persons one actually is harming them.

It is a concept of preeminent political and personal utility. It means the more I can take from others the better off they are. I am doing them a favor. I am giving them more incentive.

This makes it fun to think about other ways one can incentivize others. The sky is the limit.

So actually it is a good thing the riff-raff are prohibited from buying Facebook stock. Letting them get in on wealth would rob them of motivation.

Enough said.

Except I will mention that you won't find me on facebook.

Although I would consider purchasing their stock.

What Nick Drake's assessment of the IPO would be I cannot say.

But I can actually envision Nick Drake wearing a hoodie.

Offline Profile