NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Nick Drake Under Review......Documentary......some thoughts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadhak hearst

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Nick Drake Under Review......Documentary......some thoughts. Reply with quote

I have been enjoying the documentary "Nick Drake Under Review"......there is some wonderful stuff there but i have some issues......

It is great to see Patrick Humphries......a true fan, very knowledgeable......i have read his book several times and respect his opinion very much.....Pete Paphides is great and has some wonderful insights to add.......Caitlin Moran is very perceptive, very eloquent and might i say, very cute!.........but some of the other commentators are not always on the train......or so it seems to me.

First......the narrator claims that Nick's passing was a "presumed suicide"......is that the general consensus of opinion?.......personally - based on everything i have read - i like to believe that it was a sad accident and not at all "suicide"..........Jerry Gilbert claims that all of Nick's songs are about "death".......really?.......i don't think so......and that "River Man" is obviously about the "River Styx".......really?.......i believe the River Cam to be a more likely candidate.......no?........he also says that "Fruit Tree" is obviously a "suicide note".......really?.......it is kinda freaky that it does seem self prophetic but it is also also a warning of the trappings of fame, to be heeded by anyone who would wish for that........but "suicide note" really does seem like quite a stretch.

I like Ralph McTell but he makes a statement that the "manic depressive is always a great musician".......and i do agree with that......i have seen that......but was Nick really manic depressive?.......or as we call it today, bi-polar?........i don't think so......i have known people with bi-polar disorder and i can't imagine that was Nick's problem.......i do not find Nick's music depressive at all.......it surprises me that some people do.......it surprises me that people find it disturbing.........personally, i find it totally heart warming and elevating........one thing i have not seen discussed perhaps, is that on the first song on "Five Leaves Left"......."Time Has Told Me"......he sings: "a troubled cure for a troubled mind".......it seems to me that Nick always knew that he felt "troubled"........i don't get all the talk of "Pink Moon" being "bleak" and "desolate" and "hard to listen to"......"From the Morning" is just one of his most beautiful and positive songs!

Honestly, i really don't see the need to include performers covering Nick's songs........personally i don't need that......i would much rather just hear Nick.......there is no one who comes close to Nick's beauty and soul.......Keith James was ok, but Kathryn Williams (i am sorry) just didn't do anything for me......."been a long time that i'm crazy"???????......pleeeze....

I was a little disappointed that more was not made of the fact that Nick insisted on using his friend Robert Kirby for the string arrangements.......he was offered the guy who had done the string arrangements for the Beatles on "Let It Be".......but Nick knew he wanted Robert.......which is not something to be glossed over.......Robert had such an important contribution.......and Nick could see that and wanted that.

It really is so sad that we have no footage of Nick actually performing his songs.........i do appreciate that this documentary has been made......it is enjoyable.......but will we ever know the real Nick Drake?.......perhaps not.....he was just too beautiful and fragile for this world.......Nick is definitely in the realm of my most favorite poets: PB Shelley and John Keats.....they were shooting stars who blazed brilliantly, though briefly and i do hope and pray that someday, the whole world will be grateful for their existence.......the world is a much more beautiful place for their being here.
Dan33185

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punctuation. Seriously.
sadhak hearst

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow the line? Imprisoned by punctuation? Seriously, where is the fun in that?
sadhak hearst

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that......i mean "Toe"......Toe the line?......
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can either have correct spelling OR punctuation, yes? Smile
sadhak hearst

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not about the punctuation OR the spelling. It is about ideas. "Tow" and toe" are totally different concepts. As far as the punctuation goes, what can i say? I just love space. I simply don't like thoughts to be cramped, crushed and smushed together. It simply feels right for me to write in this manner and allow words to breathe.

Is it wrong to coin a word or phrase? Is it wrong to assign new meaning to a word? Was it wrong for Kerouac to type on a teleprinter roll - to avoid the flow of his words being broken by the turning of pages? Was it wrong for ee cummings to be so playful with his words and punctuation? Is it wrong to tune a guitar in any order other than Eadgbe? I could go on. Is it wrong to exercise artistic license?

I did expect that some of my criticisms of the documentary might seem a little inflammatory and expected some disagreement, but not this. Sorry about the semantics. I will keep that in mind for the future.
Dan33185

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone can't even read what you wrote without getting a headache, makes it hard to discuss anything.
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only kidding! I've seen the Under Review DVD. It's interesting and I enjoyed watching it - not sure it added much to my understanding or enjoyment of Nick's music though.

If something like this had been attempted in the 70s or 80s (maybe by the BBC) and they'd interviewed the people who worked on Nick's music with him as well as friends, contemporaries and so on, it might have been possible to produce something with real insight but it's probably beyond the point where that's possible now.

It could have been a cheap throwaway cash-in DVD and I certainly don't think it's that. One for the fans definitely but not something I'll keep returning to.
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember a review of the Nick Drake biography by Patrick Humphries being like to a chatroom talking about someone whos just left the room

Guess the Under Review dvd is like that.

THe new issue of Pynk Moon (issue 20 - May 2012) is worth checking out. Too tired for doing video reviews these days, though I bothered to shoot a 30 second one for the recent Gorm book! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFUNvEAoRQ
bmore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... had no probs readin Sadhak post. NO Headache. NOpe. Flow of consciouseness. Fifties stuff... Points were good too.

Punkuation and, spellin.
Watch out for them commas. I hear JHT eschews them.

Thought and the rpresentation of thought aint the same thang.
Seran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"he was just too beautiful and fragile for this world.......Nick is definitely in the realm of my most favorite poets: PB Shelley and John Keats.....they were shooting stars who blazed brilliantly, though briefly and i do hope and pray that someday, the whole world will be grateful for their existence.......the world is a much more beautiful place for their being here."

Totally agree. In fact I'm surprised that the estate hasn't published Nicks songs and poems as a book. Done properly I think it could be beautiful.

Suzuki Masajo
troubled mind

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,I ordered it from Amazon about a month ago.
I quite enjoyed it in mild kind of way,although not enthusiastically so.
Ashley Hutchins and Ralph Mctell featured very heavily.
It's nothing that we don't know already about Nick.
I would have liked to have seen Joe and Gabrielle but saying that,I think they gave a pretty good account of Nick in 'A Skin Too Few'
I sort of came away with a feeling of de ja vu thinking most of this I knew anyway.
But then again it might of been aimed at the not-so die hard Nick fans.
ivyjean

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nick Drake Under Review......Documentary......some thoug Reply with quote

sadhak hearst wrote:

Honestly, i really don't see the need to include performers covering Nick's songs........personally i don't need that......i would much rather just hear Nick.......there is no one who comes close to Nick's beauty and soul......

sadhak hearst wrote:
i do not find Nick's music depressive at all.......it surprises me that some people do.......it surprises me that people find it disturbing.........personally, i find it totally heart warming and elevating...

I agree with you on quite a few of your points, especially the above-quoted. I don't care to hear Nick's words in any other voice but his - there's just no need for it, as you said. As far as his music being labeled depressing, that criticism surprised me very much the first time I heard it. I don't find it so at all.

I'm a fan of ellipses and "letting words breathe," as you put it, but I've come to realize that many people don't like the way it looks and find that it disturbs their reading experience. I'd hate for you to go to all the trouble of writing out a well-considered post only to have folk skip it because they find it difficult to read (personally, a solid block of text bothers me more, but to each his own).
JHT

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse the progressive style and punctuation.

Pleased to see also I made a lasting impression on bmore.
Snorri-Smari1989

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first watched the "Under Review"-dvd when it came out and remembered not being too impressed with it. To my surprise, however, when I re-watched it a few weeks ago I enjoyed it a lot more. Though the absence of Gabrielle and Boyd is sorely felt, it does provide some interesting insights about Nick, I think. As for other artists doing covers of Nick's songs, all of us will agree that only Nick himself could do it totally "right," but I think it served as a nice tribute, a way of demonstrating his influence first-hand.

I'm not convinced about several points Trevor Dann makes, though. It seems to be the general viewpoint that Patrick Humphries wrote an inferior biography on Nick, but based on these snippets of interviews, to me he came across as more down-to-earth in his analysis than Dann. For instance, Dann's discussion of how many involved in the "hippie-culture" of the late 60's were frustrated and disappointed as the 70's unveiled and demonstrated that this "new world" they'd hoped for might not become a reality, is interesting, but to suggest that this might have had a considerable impact on Drake's mental state, as he seems to be doing, is mere speculation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: