what are you listening to?

Discuss other artists and their music

Moderator: Matt (admin)

Postby BerwickDrake » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am

On the way to work this morning i listened to some of John Coltranes "Giant Steps" and the jazzy bits of Paul Wellers "22 Dreams" need a better wage than the pitance i get just now so i can invest in some more jazz records.
"But the man is me, yes , and the girl is you"
BerwickDrake

Postby DM » Mon May 09, 2011 3:04 pm

BerwickDrake wrote:On the way to work this morning i listened to some of John Coltranes "Giant Steps" and the jazzy bits of Paul Wellers "22 Dreams" need a better wage than the pitance i get just now so i can invest in some more jazz records.

Giant Steps is a phenomenal album. One of the first jazz albums I bought years ago and I still listen to it regularly
DM

old violin--- Johnny Paycheck

Postby shadows » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:13 pm

hello guys , im new to this forum ---

here a song i keep listening to the last weeks for some reason -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RAepGhVZEI
shadows

Postby Dan33185 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 am

Dan33185

Postby ivyjean » Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 am

Davy Jones' passing brought The Monkees back to mind; I had latched onto them as a teenager in the '80s. I'd never bought their albums, so I'm discovering a lot of little hidden gems, especially Mike Nesmith's stuff.

I'm enjoying getting to know Peter Tork's blues work, too, with his band Shoe Suede Blues. Pete always was my favorite. 8)
Hoping to find new ways of doing better than my worst
ivyjean

Postby Nossuri » Wed May 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Nossuri

Postby BerwickDrake » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 am

real mix of things at the moment.

1) Paul Weller - Be Hapy Children
2) John Martyn - Dont Want to Know
3) Sandy Denny - It'll Take A Long time
4) Bob & Marcia - Young Gifted and Black
5) Miles Davis - So What
6) Tupac Shakur - I Aint Mad at Cha (MYSTERIOUS CHOICE I KNOW)
5) Lindisfarne - Fog on The Tyne (Old Grey Whistle Test Verison)
6) Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
7) Hawkwind - Silver Machine
8) Toots & Maytals - Pressure Drop
9) Bob Dylan - Man In The Street
BerwickDrake

Postby John Etherington » Sun May 06, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm currently listening to the amazing second album by Nelson Bragg (of the Brian Wilson Band). Here's my review of it:

Nelson Bragg's "We Get What We Want" - a five star masterpiece!!!...

Oh my God...this is phenomenal! I've just played Nelson's new album for the first time and I'm totally blown away by it. "You Get What You Want" captures everything that is best about power-pop, Beatles (think "And Your Bird Can Sing"), the Byrds "Notorious Byrds Bros", C,S,N,& Y, and every piece of great West Coast music that you've ever heard! In fact, I haven't heard a better album of its ilk since the 1960s. It's full of gorgeous melodies, harmonies, jangly guitar, piano, and trumpet (from Probyn Gregory - also of the Brian Wilson Band) plus all sorts of inventive musicianship. I've been carried along from start to finish by the sheer momentum of it. There's not one dud track, and it includes a version of Brian Wilson's "Baby Let Your Hair Grown Long" that (dare I say it) is even better than Brian's own version. Three of the greatest tracks come towards the end...namely "I'm In No Mood" (a potentional single?), "Welcome to Nowhereville" and "Time and Tyde Agree". I was literally crying tears of joy by the time I got to these. This is more than a worthy succesor to the excellent "Tangle Free World" album that Nelson produced for Anny Celsi, and it's light years ahead of his own first album (which contained two classics in "Forever Days" and "Death of Caroline"). Do yourself a favour...go straight to www.nelsonbragg.com and order this album NOW! You can also listen to samples of the tracks + the single.
John Etherington

Postby Lucas » Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 am

I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash live this night, about an hour ago! first time in Argentina. =)

and i listening a lot of english-speaking folk music at this time, Tim Buckley as my last role model.

and always Piazzolla and Spinetta.
Lucas

Postby Snorri-Smari1989 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Listening to an album by a Norwegian singer-songwriter (though he sings in English) named Magnus Moriarty, Perhaps Interior Heart Politeness (2008)...amazing stuff. Check out "No Tale For A Ferry," beautiful song. Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeXLlcmekQ
Snorri-Smari1989

Postby Nossuri » Wed May 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Snorri-Smari1989 wrote:Listening to an album by a Norwegian singer-songwriter (though he sings in English) named Magnus Moriarty, Perhaps Interior Heart Politeness (2008)...amazing stuff. Check out "No Tale For A Ferry," beautiful song. Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeXLlcmekQ

Nice, although I would rather call it interestingly orchestrated pop than singer-songwriter-stuff.
Nossuri

Postby BerwickDrake » Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 am

Beach Boys double re-issue Sunflower/Surfs Up on one CD absolutly love it, never been a massive beach boys fan but really hits the spot just now. Looking to buy some more adventurous stuff in near future - can, brian eno, boards of canada, felt, etc etc

oh and Joy Divsion - Unknown Pleasures is on maximum revolution at the moment still blows my mind
BerwickDrake

Postby 1of_these_things1st » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 am

you can take a road that takes you to the stars
i can take a road that will see me through
1of_these_things1st

Postby Nossuri » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Peter Green: In The Skies.
Nossuri

Postby Narcissus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am

my liver fail and Jana Hunter :wink:
Narcissus