NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

playing nicks music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james newman gray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: playing nicks music Reply with quote

Im finding it very difficult to learn his guitar style.so far i havent got much further than a number of tunes in the cgcfce tuning and standard tuning, although it is rewarding to have got that far. i wonder if any one has any tips on playing three hours?
I love playing 'introduction' over and over again until i almost go into a trance (bloody saddo arent i?).

I seem to be getting deeper and deeper into nick, and have been even going through periods of emptiness and depression; i've even been to visit tanworth in arden; i just made a split desiscion and went,gorgeous place is and it brought me out of my monged out state.I've got to stop listening to nick its sending me nuts!!!
Denise2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Dont let it get you go nuts! I am quite sure thats not what its supposed to do...

The feelings of emptiness and depression are not strange either. They can lurk inside of you and when you recognize an emotion (like in a song, in music), it can come drift to the surface. Obviously though, it came to a rest when you visited Tanworth.

Don't be suprised by 'outside' influences. Energy is everywhere and we are all energy. Hence we can pick up on things far more easy than we may sometimes think.

Nick's beauty and his entire atmosphere tends to 'rubb off' on people who are somewhat vulnerable to this, through his music.

Don't see that as a curse, see it as a blessing, because it can bring you far more beauty in life than you could ever imagine, if you let it...

Tanworth is very pretty indeed... I fell in love with it last year. There's something about the serene tranquility. As if it is a place where time can indeed stand still...

If you have the change, come in August... (to the Tribute)

As for tips on playing his music, try the website The Nick Drake Files of Iguana. You can find a link on;

http://www.geocities.com/made2lovemagic/links.html

Otherwise try the musicians board on this site or ask someone on http://www.geocities.com/brendan_smith2000

Or, come indeed to the Tribute and come earlier, ask the performers, I am quite sure they'd be very willing to share some of their findings on Nick's music and on how to play it...

Cheers,

Denise
james newman gray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply denise, i seem to have broken free from the state i was in, but am still into nicks music as much as i was before. I am very interested in coming to the tribute and would be grateful if you could let me know when it is,(although i have a suspicion that i have missed it already!).Unfortunately i dont have access to the internet at home and have to go to an internet cafe every now and again, hence the lateness of reply. I have learned a couple more tunes including, Parasite and Hazey Jane 11, but it would be nice to watch other people play the more intricate tunes to see how they are played. Hope to hear from you soon Denise, and thanks again for the reply; im ok for now but you never know!
Dr. Ross Grainger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

You are not going to believe this but I played once with Nick Drake at the Troubador in Brompton Road, Earls Court. I also got to know him reasonably well as our paths crossed for a short time around autum 1969. Like me, Nick occasionaly played at Bungies and Cousins near Tottenham Court Road tube station. Neither Nick or I were major acts. The big names on the Cousins scene were Michael Chapman, Davy Grahm, Mike Cooper, John Martyn, Roy Harper and Wizz Jones. Nick was shy didnt push himself at all.
I related to Nick as a p[erson because I too, was an outsider and a loner and still am. I haven't spoken up cause I liked Nick a lot even for the brief time I knew him which was only over a six week period. I later ran a shop at 305 Portobello Road London called Sunflower between 1972 and 1980. I understand it's now a cafe. I later lived with an American had a baby and moved back to Australia. I heard about Nick's death soon after he recorded Pink Moon. I have felt sad ever since. I know other sensitive souls like Nick that died the same way. The world is a tough competitive and ruthless place which is why I avoided signing a record contract. I told Nick at the time he was either recording or had just recorded his first LP that he might be sorry he signed as they were paying he peanuts. I felt too insulted to sign and have never recorded. Now I'm in my 60's I am thinking of playing again as I am now more afraid my songs might die with me than I am of the bullshit associated with notoriety. I am not inclined to say much about Nick as anything one says about someone who is well knownm becomes distorted through lens of the reaction of others. I would like to remember Nick as I knew him-a person who was so sensitive you getting the feeling he was too good for this world. Anyway, I have said what I have to say. You might'en believe but that's fine then you might. Many of the folkies who played at Cousins, Bunjies and the Troupador in late 1969 might remember my face if they saw me or just that 'Australian guy' who hang out a lot and played sometimes, but they probably wouldn't know my name-Ross Grainger. If you ask enough though someone is bound to remember the night me and Nick played at the troupador together or may have seen us in a corner talking at Cousins. Being loners we naturally gravitaed toward each other. I understand Nick once played Festival Hall but I didn't see it.

Regards,

Ross Grainger

ttrgrainger@hotmail.com
Denise2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

It is August the 21st! So youre still on time!

In Tanworth-In-Arden, 5 pm - 8 pm, refreshments available for free.

It will be a most interesting evening. Might be with a few surprises even too...

For more information, if you have time, just copy & paste the following address;

Http://www.geocities.com/ndtg2004/index.htm

Hope to see you there!Smile
james newman gray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Cheers Denise, ill be there with two friends hopefully, so ill see you there!
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give this a bump, primarily because of the post above by Dr. Ross Grainger, who is cited in the latest biography as having known Nick.

In a recent post under `General Chat' writer JHT had wondered about Ross Grainger, and in searching this forum found the above.

I found the following comment by Dr Grainger interesting:

quote:

The world is a tough competitive and ruthless place which is why I avoided signing a record contract. I told Nick at the time he was either recording or had just recorded his first LP that he might be sorry he signed as they were paying he peanuts. I felt too insulted to sign and have never recorded

:unquote.

regards,
arthur.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent an email to Dr Grainger on behalf of the forum.
Seran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered what sort of record deal Nick had with Witchseason/Island. Even though his records did not sell in significant numbers (15,000 in total seems to be a reasonable estimate) he should surely have still received some income. So I've always been puzzled by his apparent poverty. I remember reading an interview with Chris Blackwell where he stated that the deal was Nick would pay for studio costs upfront, and then Island would reimburse him (plus the retainer?). Was that it? What about advances, royalties etc? It's probably irrelevant, but Ross's statements above did make me wonder.

Suzuki Masajo
Narcissus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received correspondence from Dr Ross Grainger whom is now living in Hangzhou, China. He is quite busy but has graciously agreed to write a piece during the next two weeks about his time with Nick!
JHT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Thank you both very much Arthur and Narcissus for looking into this.

I had not seen RG's post before. Did no one ever respond to him back in 2004?

I understand RG's hesitation to say much out of concern of distortion of one kind or another but nonetheless wonder if he feels his recollections were accurately rendered in the biography where he is quoted. Of course possibly there are a number of questions one would like to ask.

We wait expectantly.

Thank you both again.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would update you on this, Ross Grainger is very busy but has begun writing and is sure to be finished soon. He has kept regular correspondence. I should have updated sooner but I have been rather busy myself. Hope all is well.
Narcissus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, to keep you informed, Ross Grainger has nearly completed his Memoir which,says he, is nearing 10 pages! When this arrives I shall create a new topic and post it there.

Regards
wayne

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thanks - will be interesting to read.
shadows

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool stories, be fun to read - thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: