NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Nick Drakes guitar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul C. Rad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Nick Drakes guitar Reply with quote

Hi, Im not sure if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know what make/model guitar Nick uses on Pink Moon? I understand that the recordings were done with just one guitar. I have been looking casually for quite a while, but Ive never played a guitar that can make the different tones Nick gets (Pink Moon, Parasite) or the amazing, warm bass (From the Morning) that make his songs sound so full without any additional instrumentation. Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rowan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Nick played on a nylon stringed guitar, he had long fingernails, he picked chords mainly(arpeggio) and strummed with the fingernails on the track Pink Moon, he also used to pluck chords with his Index MIddle and Ring fingers while plucking bass with thumb, that style in voice from the mountain. I believe the sound he got out of it was do do with the tension of his strings, his strings are usually always very highly strung, i dont think he used a capo on the songs people say he did on the 0-4 frets, he tightened them. the sound he got from his guitar on Black Eyed Dog was amazing. To get the feel of Nick Drake, run your thumb and 3 fingers up and down chords and plucking out melodies on single chords, and then changing the chords for variation. did he ever make a song that sat in a key perfectly? i dun think he did
Adam2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

The real key to Nick Drakes playing has little to do with his choice of guitar and string guages, it is all to do with right hand technique, syncopated and hypnotic motifs played with a light touch and fluidity heard only occasionally from the likes of John Renbourn. Whilst Nick could be strident in his picking (time has told me) his trademark was a subtler sound with an emphasis on perfect timing.
A smaller bodied guitar with well played in bronze or silk and steel strings helps- I believe he used a Martin with a mahogany body- the one pictured on Bryter Layter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: