It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What's happening?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:09 pm 

Let us know if there's something Nick-related going on. Gigs, book readings, TV or radio documentaries or just something you think we'd like to know about.

Cheers,

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:05 pm 

im currently listening to five leaves left :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:40 pm 

I just thought I'd post this info on a play which was held in Toronto in April 2006, even though the event already happened & I missed it!!

I find it interesting how Nick Drake's life & music inspired this play about about "a fragile person adrift in an indifferent world"

It demonstrates that play or film inspired by Nick Drake's life/music does not have to be biographical or linear story but can be just an expression of the creativity & universality of life experiences.

"A Place to Be" - "The Nick Drake Project was directed by Matthew Heiti
"The Nick Drake Project" is not a biography or a history lesson—these things have all been covered,” says playwright Matthew Heiti. “Everything Nick Drake could say, he said through his music. The Nick Drake Project is, above all else, an expression of that need to say something, the longing to be heard.”

I am posting the rest of the original play description, a performance of the Toronto Underground Renaissance Theatre Group.
www.peterkatz.org

"Place to Be-The Nick Drake Project"
by Matthew Heiti
at Alumnae Studio Theatre
70 Berkeley Street
April 6-8 and 12-15 at 8:00pm
(Wednesday, April 12th performance is PWYC)
Tickets: $15 ($12 for students/senior)

For more information, please call 905-466-1635
www.torontounderground.ca

Toronto, Ontario (Canada) — Toronto Underground Renaissance is pleased to announce the world premiere of Place to Be: The Nick Drake Project. This uncompromising adventure about a fragile person adrift in an indifferent world will run at the Alumnae Studio Theatre from April 6-8 and 12-15 at 8:00pm.

Billy Moon has become trapped in the nine-to-five life of crowded subways and fluorescent offices. Unable to find a place in ordinary society, Billy packs his suitcase and runs away from home. He becomes lost in a strange land, alive with traveling musicians, railroad hobos, and mythological creatures. Pursued by the specter of a great black dog, Billy’s journeys finally lead him to the very edge of the world, where he must confront the demons of his own mind. Inspired by the music and life’s work of Nick Drake, Place to Be: The Nick Drake Project is a dark adventure about the need to reconnect to the fantasy in our daily lives. It is about the black holes a person can fall into and the journey home.

Nick Drake was a British musician who recorded three albums in the late 1960s and early ‘70s. He died in the early hours of November 25th, 1974, from an overdose of antidepressants. Selling some 20,000 albums during his lifetime, Drake was virtually unknown until after his death. Over the years, his chillingly beautiful melodies and voice have drawn people to his music. Pilgrims flock to his gravesite in Tanworth-in-Arden, England, searching for answers to a man who will forever remain an enigma.

Told using a mixture of theatre, dance, music and puppetry, Place to Be: The Nick Drake Project promises to be an exhilarating piece of live theatre, and a stirring tribute to one of music’s greatest unsung heroes.

Toronto Underground Renaissance is dedicated to providing unique and vital live entertainment to Toronto audiences. Over the past two years, TUR has produced full-length plays in Richard Kirwin’s An Evening with Mr. J, and Matthew Heiti’s Scar. The company also stages an annual summer festival, Squiggest, showcasing the best in grassroots theatre, dance, live bands, DJs, and comedians. Some of Squiggfest’s stellar acts have included comedian Darrin Rows, sketch troupe Todd’s Lunch, and musician Peter Katz. By helping artists with unrecognized talent be heard, Toronto Underground Renaissance is committed to a rebirth of the arts in Toronto

Last edited by lucydem on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:38 pm 

Acoustic guitar player/singer Damien Jurado will be doing a tour of England & Scotland this December 2006!!!

12/05/06 Night & Day in Manchester, England
12/06/06 Barfly in Glasgow, Scotland
12/07/06 The Cluny in Newcastle. England
12/08/06 Norwich Arts Centre in Norwich, England
12/09/06 Musician in Leicester, England
12/10/06 Luminaire in London, England

Damien Jurado Covers Nick Drake
Spin.com-September 21, 2006

Damien Jurado's rendition of Nick Drake's lullaby-esque classic,
"Pink Moon."
"It's no stretch of imagination to mention Damien Jurado in the same sentence as Nick Drake, as the Seattle-based singer/songwriter has a Drakesian tendency toward lovely, lonely acoustic guitar melodies strummed sparsely alongside his wistfully brooding croon. And now Jurado is paying homage to perhaps one of his greatest influences by covering Drake's classic tune, "Pink Moon." The track was cut in a one-hour sitting, wherein, as Jurado told SPIN.com, "I just played as many Nick Drake songs as I knew." The musician doesn't have official plans to release the songs, which were "originally recorded as a birthday present for a friend of [bandmate] Eric Fisher," Jurado revealed."

Last edited by lucydem on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:25 am 
When was the last time you guys searched this forum for the answers?

Post subject: re; gigs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 pm 

Hello,
For anyone who lives in the West Midlands, or anywhere really,there is a gig Keith James and Rick Foot present The Songs of Nick Drake at the Robin 2 R&B Club, Bilston, Wolverhampton, WV14 7LJ on Wednesday 21st March. The write up in the gig guide make it sound real good. I have never heard of these guys before let alone seen them. Has anyone seen them? and were they impressed. I am really into Nick Drake and dont want to be disappointed.
Thanks. x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:03 pm 

HazyJayne wrote:
For anyone who lives in the West Midlands, or anywhere really,there is a gig Keith James and Rick Foot present The Songs of Nick Drake at the Robin 2 R&B Club, Bilston, Wolverhampton, WV14 7LJ on Wednesday 21st March. The write up in the gig guide make it sound real good. I have never heard of these guys before let alone seen them. Has anyone seen them? and were they impressed. I am really into Nick Drake and dont want to be disappointed.

I was asked to do a review of their gig in Cambridge last December.

http://www.movingtonenews.co.uk/features/reviews/nickdrakecam.asp

They're well worth seeing. Keith James performs his own interpretations of Nick's songs - don't expect exact copies of Nick's recordings.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Keith James and Rick Foot
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 pm 

Hi

'The songs of Nick Drake' are being performed by Keith James and Rick Foot.

They are doing a 31 gig tour starting 19th March including Sunday 24th June @ 4.00pm at Glastonbury Festival, Somerset.

Their web site is www.songsofnickdrake.com if you would like so see where they are playing.

Havent seen them myself but hoping to go. Peter Rice reckons "they are well worth seeing, but not to expect exact copies of Nick's recordings".

HJx

Offline Profile  

Post subject: The gig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:17 pm 

Hello

Went, saw and very impressed. Rick Foot excellent double bassist. Keith James respectfully, sings and plays Nicks songs. They so compliment each other musically. And like the write up that Peter Rice did on a gig in Cambridge last year. the audience wait until the last note is played before showing their appreciation after each song.

I have to add this. I am not musical and I have heard alot about Nicks 'right hand' never understood what that meant, but after watching Keiths right hand last night. I know exactly what it means. Unbelivable.
Unmissable if you get the chance to go. He had to do lots of retuning. (and swopping of guitars which Nick was never fortunate enough to be able to do)

They played mainly Nick and a few songs by other people, including a brilliant Solid Air by John Martyn.

Can you tell I would recommend it?

Go and see them!

HJx

Offline Profile