Similar Musicians

Discuss other artists and their music

Moderator: Matt (admin)

Similar Musicians

Postby fieldmouse » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:22 am

Hi there, I've recently been introduced to Nick Drake and John Matyn's (60's/70's) music. Can you recommend any other musicians of similar style. Thanks. Jas
fieldmouse

Postby Matt (admin) » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi,

A particular favourite of mine is Roy Harper. Folk/singer-songwriter based stuff from a similar period (he's still around and touring) with some great songs. There's a bit of a range of styles covered but Valentine might be a good place to start for gentler acoustic stuff - he's a brilliant acoustic guitarist in the Davy Graham/Paul Simon mould and there are some lovely songs on this album. Stormcock is also worth a punt. It has only 4 songs but each is a bit of an epic with some great acoustic playing, poetic lyrics and interesting brass and string arrangements. Great headphone listening in the early hours!

Matt
Matt (admin)

Postby danielchester » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:44 pm

You may also like Tim Buckley, although not sounding too similar the music is in the same vein. Also I highly recomend Devendra Banhart and Elliott Smith. Similar in a way to Nick but individual and unique artists. Check 'em out on myspace if you want to listen for free before buying.
danielchester

Postby Breakfast » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:28 pm

I would suggest looking out for Steve Tilston and Michael Chapman as well. The latter is a lot gruffer and a bit less pastoral but both are great singer-songwriter-guitarists who are a little more forgotten these days.
Breakfast

Postby Folky » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:25 pm

My recommendation would be Badly Drawn Boy's debut album 'The Hour of Bewilderbeast'
Folky

Postby drakesinfluence » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 am

Bert Jansch, Anne Briggs. Martin Carthy. You could try this thing called Pandora, you put a Artist in the search box and it plays a song by someone who is like that artist. And you rate it Thumbs up and Thumbs down. It's like a personal Radio station.
"And if one day You should see Me in the crowd, lend a hand and lift Me, to Your place in the cloud"

http://www.myspace.com/thisiscorybrackett
drakesinfluence

Postby Sylvia » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 am

Has anyone heard, have an opinion on Elliott Smith? My guitar instructor mentioned him after today's lesson, citing his "Figure 8" cd as reminiscent of Nick's style. I'd never heard him before and wanted any thoughts or opinions before heading down to B & N store. Thanks.
Sylvia

Postby drakesinfluence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 am

I love Elliott Smith, I would start off with XO. You can hear a lot of Nick in that record. Also, he was a huge Beatles and Beach Boys fan as you will hear.

Hope you like the record, it's one of my favourites.
"And if one day You should see Me in the crowd, lend a hand and lift Me, to Your place in the cloud"

drakesinfluence

Postby Ostar » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:57 pm

I love Elliott Smith too, and especially his first 3 albums. The lo-fi quality somehow appeals to me. But there is a big difference between Elliott and Nick. Elliott has a lot of anger in his voice and lyrics while Nick didn't. To me this gives the music a totally different feel. On the other hand, Elliott's death was just as tragic...
Ostar

Postby bernie49 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 pm

The "old" Donovan from the mid-60's up to the early 70's or Ralph McTell or James Taylor or Jackson Browne or ... :?:
"Look through time and find your rhyme / Tell us what you find
We will wait / At your gate / Hoping like the blind"
bernie49

Postby drakesinfluence » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:35 pm

You could try Duncan Browne, his first 2 albums are very good. 'Duncan Browne' the album can get alittle psychedelic, but it's only 2 songs, the rest of the album is very acoustic...

drakesinfluence

Postby jomarkdave » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:48 am

ack. i dislike elliot smith. just another pop person. jack johnson, just sadder.
jomarkdave

Postby jomarkdave » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 am

i forgot to mention...

ray lamontagne is a favorite of mine. doesn't have the progression of nick..but good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPHRcQv_sU
jomarkdave

Postby modestmatt14 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:11 am

i was in teh car once and my sister was playing her MP3 player and all of the sudden i ehard something that resembled nickd rake so much so i stopped my cd player and it was jack johnson. jack johnson really sounds like nick. and elliott smith sounds like him a lot
modestmatt14

Postby the_road_warrior » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:30 am

Yeah Jack Johnson is in some senses a modern Nick Drake, in terms of acoustic "laid-backness" (if thats a word) but he lacks (in my opinion) the poetry, philosophy and depth of Nick's music.
the_road_warrior

Next

Return to General Music Chat