It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Similar Musicians
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:22 am 

Hi there, I've recently been introduced to Nick Drake and John Matyn's (60's/70's) music. Can you recommend any other musicians of similar style. Thanks. Jas

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:33 pm 

Hi,

A particular favourite of mine is Roy Harper. Folk/singer-songwriter based stuff from a similar period (he's still around and touring) with some great songs. There's a bit of a range of styles covered but Valentine might be a good place to start for gentler acoustic stuff - he's a brilliant acoustic guitarist in the Davy Graham/Paul Simon mould and there are some lovely songs on this album. Stormcock is also worth a punt. It has only 4 songs but each is a bit of an epic with some great acoustic playing, poetic lyrics and interesting brass and string arrangements. Great headphone listening in the early hours!

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:44 pm 

You may also like Tim Buckley, although not sounding too similar the music is in the same vein. Also I highly recomend Devendra Banhart and Elliott Smith. Similar in a way to Nick but individual and unique artists. Check 'em out on myspace if you want to listen for free before buying.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:28 pm 

I would suggest looking out for Steve Tilston and Michael Chapman as well. The latter is a lot gruffer and a bit less pastoral but both are great singer-songwriter-guitarists who are a little more forgotten these days.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:25 pm 

My recommendation would be Badly Drawn Boy's debut album 'The Hour of Bewilderbeast'

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 am 

Bert Jansch, Anne Briggs. Martin Carthy. You could try this thing called Pandora, you put a Artist in the search box and it plays a song by someone who is like that artist. And you rate it Thumbs up and Thumbs down. It's like a personal Radio station.

http://www.myspace.com/thisiscorybrackett

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 am 

Has anyone heard, have an opinion on Elliott Smith? My guitar instructor mentioned him after today's lesson, citing his "Figure 8" cd as reminiscent of Nick's style. I'd never heard him before and wanted any thoughts or opinions before heading down to B & N store. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 am 

I love Elliott Smith, I would start off with XO. You can hear a lot of Nick in that record. Also, he was a huge Beatles and Beach Boys fan as you will hear.

Hope you like the record, it's one of my favourites.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:57 pm 

I love Elliott Smith too, and especially his first 3 albums. The lo-fi quality somehow appeals to me. But there is a big difference between Elliott and Nick. Elliott has a lot of anger in his voice and lyrics while Nick didn't. To me this gives the music a totally different feel. On the other hand, Elliott's death was just as tragic...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 pm 

The "old" Donovan from the mid-60's up to the early 70's or Ralph McTell or James Taylor or Jackson Browne or ... :?:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:35 pm 

You could try Duncan Browne, his first 2 albums are very good. 'Duncan Browne' the album can get alittle psychedelic, but it's only 2 songs, the rest of the album is very acoustic...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:48 am 

ack. i dislike elliot smith. just another pop person. jack johnson, just sadder.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 am 

i forgot to mention...

ray lamontagne is a favorite of mine. doesn't have the progression of nick..but good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPHRcQv_sU

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:11 am 

i was in teh car once and my sister was playing her MP3 player and all of the sudden i ehard something that resembled nickd rake so much so i stopped my cd player and it was jack johnson. jack johnson really sounds like nick. and elliott smith sounds like him a lot

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:30 am 

Yeah Jack Johnson is in some senses a modern Nick Drake, in terms of acoustic "laid-backness" (if thats a word) but he lacks (in my opinion) the poetry, philosophy and depth of Nick's music.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2  Next