Bryter Layter

For musicians interested in Nick's work.

Moderator: Matt (admin)

Bryter Layter

Postby Anzacky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:52 pm

I think to slate Bryter Layter is pointless, yes maybe it was the weaker of his albums, but then i enjoyed it so its served its purpose.
Anzacky

Postby Black Cat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:10 pm

I agree. Bryter Layer is a very unique album - sometimes I love it to bits and sometimes I hate it. Very strange. But I think it's one of those albums that grows on you after a while - it becomes 'brighter later' (ha ha). It was the last Nick Drake album I bought and I was disappointed at first because of the sheer atmospheric difference to the other two. I guess it was just a little unexpected.

However, last night I couldn't sleep and I wanted to listen to a CD I hadn't played in a while. So I put Bryter Layter on and suddenly everything made sense - the arrangements, the vocals, the instruments... I don't know why but just the combination of it being pitch black and having these wonderfully 'visual' songs playing quietly in the background made me really 'experience' the positives and subtleties of Bryter Layter a lot of people probably miss. Also, the city clock outside my house chimed during 'At The Chime of a City Clock,' which was funny!

Anyway, my recommendation - listen to it with your eyes closed! :wink:
Black Cat

Postby modestmatt14 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:46 am

i find when i listne to albums at certain times of day they gain so much more and with bryter layter i find when i am in the dark it is an amazing album. It is a very relaxing album, but the only thing that has ever turned me off about the album is the horns in it and how it sounds so 60's/70's while the rest of nick's work is rather timeless and has no time period stuck on it. I have also found that listneing to it outside under the stars is mind blowing since i spend most of my days outside listening to music.
modestmatt14

Postby wisemanfreed » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Bryter Layter is when I get that springtime feeling. It's a very warm and comforting album.
wisemanfreed

Postby Black Cat » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:48 am

Oh wow - outside under the stars! What a fantastic idea - thanks Matt! And, yes, there is something 'warm' about Bryter Layter...
Black Cat

Postby modestmatt14 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:24 am

Black Cat wrote:Oh wow - outside under the stars! What a fantastic idea - thanks Matt! And, yes, there is something 'warm' about Bryter Layter...

yea it si something that i started doing one day when i was studying because this oen teacher i had told us that you can concentrate more int he cold and it was bitter cold so i went outside. That teacher was also arrested for being a petaphile but it actually works. and i now just lay on my grass and stare at the stars and the moon and it si peaceful
modestmatt14

Postby placetobe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:05 pm

The sound of rain also goes exquisitely with Nick Drake albums. :)
placetobe

Postby KaiBailey » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:41 am

Bryter Layter is a very pretty album, which isn't always good. Sometimes you feel you've heard all the songs one too many times, but other times you feel you will never stop listening to them.

I think it's a wonderful album, with wonderful instrumental work, and songwriting.
http://myspace.com/kaibailey <--music that you're not really interested in
KaiBailey

Return to Musicians