It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FLL & Bryter without accompaniment
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:36 pm 

This is a bit of a weird one but here goes:

I don't know much about studio work, but recordings from Five Leaves Left and Bryter Later must surely have had the violins, bass and bongos etc etc recorded seprately from Nick's voice and guitar (which in some cases have been recorded seperately also) so is it not feasible that these albums could be released Pink Moon-style with just Nick's guitar and voice?

I often think when I listen to certain songs ie Chime of a City Clock, Day is Done, 'Cello Song etc, that it would be really nice to just hear Nick's own work, in the same way as that acoustic version of River Man was on Made to Love Magic - its just interesting to hear a version without accompanyment, some of which was over-bearing and intrusive (in my opinion) on Bryter Later for instance.

Could this be done and should it be done?

On the one hand Pink Moon is a beautiful album for all its simplicity and it would show how the songs sounded before they were 'altered/added to' by the producers, but on the other hand Nick seemed happy enough with the music as it was realeased, and it may be a bit of an insult to the quality production work to re-release the albums without the orchestral and acommpanyments.

Would be interesting though...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:57 pm 

I have a feeling Five Leaves Left would stand up and be an enjoyable listen. Bryter Layter might not be as good... Drake definitely wrote some pretty basic guitar parts since he knew the type of album he wanted.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 pm 

It certainly would be nice to hear. You can read about the production of these works in Joe Boyd's White Bicycles. A cd released and available on Amazon, Time of No Reply, has some of these selections w/Nick guitar y nada mas. The version of FLY on this cd is especially worth knowing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:30 pm 

My understanding that the strings and guitar/vocals on Five Leaves Left were recorded together and not separately.

They would have been recorded on separate tracks but even stripping out the strings parts would not work because the sound of the strings was also picked up to some extent by the vocals mic and the guitar mic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: FLL & Bryter without accompaniment
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:25 pm 

the_road_warrior wrote:
This is a bit of a weird one but here goes:

I don't know much about studio work, but recordings from Five Leaves Left and Bryter Later must surely have had the violins, bass and bongos etc etc recorded seprately from Nick's voice and guitar (which in some cases have been recorded seperately also) so is it not feasible that these albums could be released Pink Moon-style with just Nick's guitar and voice?

I often think when I listen to certain songs ie Chime of a City Clock, Day is Done, 'Cello Song etc, that it would be really nice to just hear Nick's own work, in the same way as that acoustic version of River Man was on Made to Love Magic - its just interesting to hear a version without accompanyment, some of which was over-bearing and intrusive (in my opinion) on Bryter Later for instance.

Could this be done and should it be done?

if you go back to the original multitrack tapes, it is obviously possible to separate Nick's guitar and vocal tracks, although if both were recorded simultaneosly with the orchestra there might be some bleeding from the strings.
but also, a friend sent me a couple of tracks (Northern Sky and Way To Blue) with only Nick's parts. I went 'whoooaaaahh!' :shock:
then he explained he did that isolating the center channel from the surround mixes found on "A Treasury" (SACD). Now that I have the aforementioned cd, and my pc can only read the stereo audio from it, I think he connected his pc to the dvd player recording one track at a time from the surround channels, or something like that, to obtain the isolation.

nice though!

doc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:09 pm 

LFSDoc wrote:
but also, a friend sent me a couple of tracks (Northern Sky and Way To Blue) with only Nick's parts. I went 'whoooaaaahh!' :shock:
then he explained he did that isolating the center channel from the surround mixes found on "A Treasury" (SACD). Now that I have the aforementioned cd, and my pc can only read the stereo audio from it, I think he connected his pc to the dvd player recording one track at a time from the surround channels, or something like that, to obtain the isolation.

LFSDoc, that sounds amazing!- is there any way you could upload those for us to hear (maybe to sendspace.com or somewhere like that)? I'd love to hear those songs as they might sound done "solo"...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:42 pm 

Richie wrote:
LFSDoc, that sounds amazing!- is there any way you could upload those for us to hear (maybe to sendspace.com or somewhere like that)? I'd love to hear those songs as they might sound done "solo"...

there you go:
http://rapidshare.com/files/17106968/isodrake.zip

cheers!

Doc

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:34 pm 

Thank you Doc - that was wonderful! Especially Northern Sky.. It really changes the feel of the song, it sounds like he's singing right into your ear. Very interesting to hear a different take on something you're so used to hearing - much appreciated!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Nicks voice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:34 pm 

Hello LFSDoc

Thankyou for that. What a treat for ones ears. Nick so clear and so Nick.
Another tearful ten minutes.

Thanks again.

HJx

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:27 am 

Aw...thanks LFSDoc...just beautiful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:44 pm 

LFSDoc wrote:
Richie wrote:

there you go:
http://rapidshare.com/files/17106968/isodrake.zip

cheers!

Doc

Amazing, I've never heard Drake's voice so clearly before! It is so very intimate, being able to hear all of his inflections, the way his voice cracks a little when holding his notes. Absolutely beautiful, and essential for Drake fans, thank you.

And how about Northern Sky? I could've sworn Drake strummed this piece, but now it's obvious. It's akin to Place to Be and Pink Moon. I would've never made the connection. Bryter Layter really IS pre-Pink Moon. Shows you how much the production can change something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 pm 

Hmm that was interesting, really enjoyed it actually. But then again, it feels kinda weird without the orchestration, afterall that's what made FLL and BL so lush and vibrant.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:33 pm 

Thanks LFSDoc,

what an unexpected completely new listening experience ! :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:41 pm 

bernie49 wrote:
Thanks LFSDoc,

what an unexpected completely new listening experience ! :D

I'm glad you all liked them. I must thank my good friend Doug who sent them to me a while ago.

cheers
Doc

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 pm 

That's amazing! How did he do it? I don't understand how he would be able to do it. Did he rework any of the other tracks? I'd be interested in hearing instrumentals / accapellas - anything in fact!

El

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next