It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: John Martyn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 pm 

You guys should give him a listen, he dedicated a song called solid air to Nick Drake, they both recorded on the same record label.

heres id rather be the devil by him..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDj9HbYE7AY

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:17 am 

This one's also fantastic, with Danny Thompson on double bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_Utj4A ... ed&search=

:D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: John Martyn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:54 pm 

Hi

I really like Solid Air by John Martyn as previously stated wrote by John about his friend Nick. And the track May You Never another really good listen off the same album.

HJx

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:09 pm 

John Martyn is a great musician, I've liked his music since seeing him play live in the late 80s. In some ways it's strange that he's not better known. I'd recommend 'Bless The Weather' as an introduction which was recorded in 1971 and featured some of the same musicians to those on 'Bryter Layter' in Richard Thompson, Dave Pegg and Dave Mattacks and was also engineered by John Wood, and has a great laid back sound.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:39 pm 

Well I bought Solid Air based on the acolade it has got on this forum, and I have to say - it is amazing.

Other than The Easy Blues (which I can't stand!) every song is gold, particular favourites are Don't Want to Know and Go Down Easy. After only a fortnight or so, it has become engrained in my consciousness, and has literally been all I've listened to.

I had heard of him before, he was on that Folk Britannia series shown on BBC a while ago (as was Nick if anyone watched it) and he stuck out in my memory as saying he "wasn't into all that political stuff, love is what its all about for me".

Now just ordered Bless The Weather :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: More John
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm 

Get more John Martyn albums, road warrior

Personally, I love Glasgow Walker and London Conversation.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm 

I adore John Martyn so much. I saw him play twice last year, and he was fantastic. London Conversation is a beautiful, beautiful album, and, although I quite like it when he goes electric, I don't like it as much as when he was all folksy and acoustic.

It does strike me as a little woeful that he's stuck doing the Solid Air tour over and over for money, instead of always playing his other, superb newer material. A recent song of his, Under My Wing is one of the loveliest, catchiest songs I've heard in years.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:32 pm 

Maybe he does, I'm not well informed, but it seems Martyn seldom tours outside of the British isles, is that true? Strange, he should have an audience around Europe. Maybe not as big as in England, but that is to be expected. I would love to see him, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, Donovan, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:19 am 

Getting his albums in chronological order now - he is an amazing artist, its surprising he isn't more well known.

London Conversation is a great debut. His cover of Don't Think Twice is quality, and Back to Stay is one of my favourite of his tracks. You can clearly hear the influence of Bert Jansch on some of his songs as well.

The Tumbler wasn't as good. It just seems too fast tempo and more of a showcase for his guitar skills. The tracks with the jazz flute stand out but the rest didn't impress.

Strombringer and Road To Ruin are both pretty enjoyable and set up Martyn's more laid-back, soft sound. They both got only poorish reviews on amazon.co.uk but I don't see why.

Bless the Weather is one of the best I've got so far - Really laid back music and the lyrics are beautiful.

Solid Air - Great of course

Inside Out is the most recent one I've bought, and probably the best I've heared yet. Its close to a masterpeice, and one of my favourite albums in my collection. The title track is stunning and Beverley is one of the most beautiful songs I've heared.

Just ordered Sunday's Child, Live at Leeds and One World as they were on offer for 3 for £15.

Can't wait.

Thanks for bringing him to my attention people :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm 

I saw this on the johnmartyn.com website -

'BBC Radio 4 will be profiling John on Friday 1st February on their Front Row programme to be broadcast at 7:15pm GMT. '

Also, he will receive a 'Lifetime Achievement Award and perform at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards 2008 on Monday 4 February.' It says on the BBC site that 'Highlights of the awards show will be broadcast on Radio 2 on Wednesday 6 February from 7pm in an extended edition of The Mike Harding Show.'

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 pm 

Stormbringer is one of my favorite albums.I like the songs John The Baptist,(Levon Helm from the The Band plays on this song) and Traffic-Light Lady. Paul Harris play piano on Stormbringer.He also plays the piano on the song One of These Things First off of Bryter Layter.
The Tumbler album is not bad,it's a grower....

Lindisfarne-City Song

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 am 

I've only heard Sweet Little Mysteries - a 2cd Island sampler. The first cd is wonderful, the second I don't listen to much (aside from "Sweet Little Mysteries"!)

I have London Conversation but it hasnt really grown on me.. shall have to give it another listen

"Solid air" "bless the weather" "head and heart" - these are all wonderful. Sweet Little Mysteries might be out of print howsoever..

"May you never" "you can discover" - great stuff!

Offline Profile