It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Picking pattern for "Road"?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:42 am 

Hello,
I'm working on Road currently and can't find a comfortable pattern for my fingers.

I have the tabs, just need a good pattern to help.
Any suggestions?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:57 pm 

do you currently use your right hand pinky? I've found that it is pretty much impossible to play Road well with out. The only way to hit the high notes on the e and b string and stay in a good position to play the rest is to use your pinky

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:17 am 

For the verse I let my thumb take care of the bottom 3 strings. I tend to do strange/not very effecient picking patterns, though, but it works for me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:45 am 

it all depends on how you pick. I don't knwo fi you use your pinkie or not Bogo so i don't knwo if i can help. I have trained my ring finger to play strings that peoplke would use their pinkie for because i haev weak pinkies from hurting them so much. but you should definatly use your thumb for the bottom 3 strings. It helps a lot

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:54 am 

I don't use my pinky, actually. I probably should (and stop using it to anchor). I also tend to use inefficiant picking patterns, save for songs that are impossible with them. I've been looking to correct it and start playing so that I can play w/ my whole hand, and thus be able to do it longer...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:40 am 

It's alright not to use pinky. and i know waht you mean by not using a pickign apttern. I make bass lines in songs and evne if it is on the b string that i want the bass to be on i play it with my thumb.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm 

here I'll give the picking pattern that i use ; i'm assuming your using chris healy's tab which is what the picking pattern will follow, ( i do the `third bit' slightly different than the tab as i hear a slight difference in the track)

so T= thumb, I=index, M= middle R= ring L= little finger(pinky)

Main Pattern: first bar: T,I,M,R,L,R,M,L,R,I,T,I,M, T(hammer on the 02),I,M
second bar: T,I,M,R,I,L,R,M,I,T,M,R,T,M,R,T

2nd Bit: for this part just follow the rule thumb on low E string, then for any note on A string use index finger and so on...... only four strings are used .

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 pm 

bmore wrote:
here I'll give the picking pattern that i use ; i'm assuming your using chris healy's tab which is what the picking pattern will follow, ( i do the `third bit' slightly different than the tab as i hear a slight difference in the track)

2nd Bit: for this part just follow the rule thumb on low E string, then for any note on A string use index finger and so on...... only four strings are used .

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Road pickin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:59 am 

I found the easiest way to crack this tune was to concentrate on the bass line under the thumb. The other fingers just seem to follow. Simple as that

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:50 am 

Just listen to the song a lot to gauge the rythm and follow the tabs on algonet which are about 95% correct.

If you can live with encorporating your little finger then it will be a huge help to you. The key to the song is in maintaining a persistent rythm.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm 

bmore wrote:

So I am just now getting to this, whoa. Do you include the lead-off 0 on the first and second bit in the picking pattern?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm 

I love the guitar part on this track, it's probably my favourite song of Nick's based purely on what the guitar is doing. It's the picking pattern that does it too, it's just so hypnotically beautiful, the way it trips along is incredible.

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm 

Matt (admin) wrote:
I love the guitar part on this track, it's probably my favourite song of Nick's based purely on what the guitar is doing. It's the picking pattern that does it too, it's just so hypnotically beautiful, the way it trips along is incredible.

Matt

I couldn't have said it better, myself. Trips along is perfect for it... I also hear it's one of the hardest to play.

Offline Profile