NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Chris Thile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Chris Thile Reply with quote

Anyone here heard Chris Thile's (mandolin player from Nickel Creek) latest solo album 'How to Grow a Woman From the Ground'? If you like bluegrass there are some great tracks on there (including a fantastic cover of the White Stripes' ' Dead Leaves & the Dirty Ground'). There are also some beautiful original songs on there too which are amazing, especially 'Stay Away', which was influenced by his divorce apparently.

There's an amazing range on the album - all of which is as good as it gets - and I highly recommend it. For a sample go to the Woodsongs archive http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp & listen to show# 416 (also available as a podcast fron iTunes) which is a whole hour of Thile and his incredible all acoustic band live. Woodsongs is a great site anyway for anyone into acoustic roots music so check it out.

Matt
placetobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard Chris Thile's solo music, but I think that Nickel Creek are fantastic; particularly the instrumentals. Mandolin playing that takes my breath away...

I get the feeling that Chris Thile is perhaps a JRR Tolkien fan..? A track on his solo album is called Riddles In The Dark, I believe, and there's a track on the Nickel Creek self-titled album named House of Tom Bombadil.
COINCIDENCE, NON? Wink

I suppose that my only criticism of Chris Thile is that he has too-clean a voice. It doesn't have much to it. He hits all the notes, but there's something too polished about it.

Still.....if I could play the mandolin like he can, the world would be mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his voice is definitely better on this new album, he goes out on a limb a bit more and it's more exciting to listen to as a result. Definitely one to listen out for if you get a chance.

Matt
placetobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I'll take a look. Any especially recommended tracks?

whenever I breathe out, you're breathing it in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Stay Away' is my personal favourite but there's a real mix of styles on the album. The bluegrass cover of The White Stripes' 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' is great too.

Matt
placetobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks far too young to have been divorced. I'll go find those songs. Thanks Matt. Smile

whenever I breathe out, you're breathing it in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: