It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Movies & Critiques
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 am 

We all see movies once in awhile, right? Of course...how else would we know that Nicksongs are being used with some frequency in Hollywood releases? For some releases, his songs are thee redeeming quality of the flik (cough...LakeHouse...cough)

Anyway, the most recent movie/documentary I saw was SICKO. Of course, every American should see this movie. Canadians and Europeons, feel free to feel smug.

So....what is the last movie you saw? Do you recommend it, or is it to be avoided? I expect many opinions on the two newest summer blockbusters-Harry Potter and the Simpsons.....

Offline Profile  

Post subject: The Lake House
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:48 pm 

Hi

I purchased The Lake House for one thing only, and it wasn't Keanu Reeves.

HJx

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 pm 

I saw simpsons and thought it was great. There really was never a part in it that you were thinking that it was dragging on and you were bored. Of course they had the corny jokes as usual.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:51 pm 

Last film I saw was Pan's Labyrinth

I don't speak Spanish so watched it twice - once to read the story and a second time to enjoy the imagery.

Plot: Just after the Spanish Civil War, a girl and her mother go to live with her new husband - a really vicious fascist army captain mopping up a communist rebel faction. The little girl learns she is really a fairy princess - and to return to her father and mother, the fairy rulers - she must pass three pretty horrible tasks. Brilliantly acted. Beautifully shot. But it's definitely not your Disney-style fairytale. This is quite nightmarish in places.

I wholeheartedly recommend it. 8)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:55 am 

Jacko wrote:

Brilliantly acted. Beautifully shot. But it's definitely not your Disney-style fairytale. This is quite nightmarish in places.

A friend of mine gave it a similiar recommendation. This weekend I saw No Reservation, it was billed as a romantic comedy, but had some heavy material as well. Predictable, and no Drake background! Definitely a "wait for the dvd."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 am 

Jacko wrote:

I don't speak Spanish so watched it twice - once to read the story and a second time to enjoy the imagery.

Me too, saw it on a tiny seat-back airplane screen last month and it was wonderful so, on a bigger screen must be even better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:14 am 

Two new for me: I now Pronounce you Chuck & Larry-
kind of funny, while still touching on some serious issues.
Will not be an Oscar contender.

and....Hairspray. I am not a fan of musicals in the first place (excepting only Oliver w/late Jack Wild) and to see John Travolta in a large lady latex suit was c-r-e-e-p-y! I got dragged to this by my friend who works in the theatre so we got in for free. The dancing was spectacular, Christopher Walken's part was too small, and overall-it's a musical, so there you go. She had seen it on Broadway, of course, and says live and screen just can't compare. I probably wouldn't have liked it on Broadway either.....I dunno. Costumes, cute, singing great,,,,,just didn't like it much.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:58 am 

So, here's a quick update of "What's New at the Movies...."
I've seen: Mr. Woodcock (Billy Bob Thornton) very funny
Elizabeth ok, a bit overdone compared to the first, but very lush...loose on faithfulness to actual timelines, and finally
Michael Clayton fans of Clooney, Swinton and Wilkonson won't be disappointed-everybody in the movie wears grey, the NY skyscrapers are grey, everything is grey...but the acting was first rate of course.

Another thing I've noticed is that if people just sit there once the credits roll, the film usually gets at least one Oscar nod. Well, this movie sold out, and only two people moved during the credits-straight through to the last location shot reference.

JANUARY-2008. Mon Dieu-I was going to post the latest movies I've seen, but NO ONE (?) has seen anything since my last post? So, I'm adding to my own prior post here:

OK-So I saw Charlie Wilson's War and Todd Sweeney. Two very good movies and even though Sweeney Todd was so macabre (Depp and Burton together again) 'twas an excellent production, IMHO. Anyone seen the new Daniel Day Lewis flik?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:43 am 

OMG!!! It's been since my last post that there has been a movie review. Peeps-I hardly EVER go to the cinema anymore, but am I the only one whoever does? Maybe nobody goes b/c we have absolutley no proof that Nick ever saw a movie at the theatre in his life? Or do we? OK, so while we are all waiting for the movies to come out at Blockbuster-I did actually go to the theatre. I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall upon the constant harping of my friend about how funny it was, that HE would even see it again, blah blah blah.

I knew it had to be good if a GUY was saying he would see it again, since I guess it was a romantic comedy. My viewing experience was not as good as his. He saw it opening night-with the infectious laughter of a packed audience. I saw it after it had been playing for a month or so, and there were 4 of us in the theatre. It had some moments and was just "OK." Some movies are only good with a crowd of 300 people behind them, laughing and munching that industrial popcorn. This was one of them. There are many other things to do with two hours you can never get back.

(That's it till the next installment of Sylvia's Cinema Sightings)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:11 am 

Aw, Sylvia!

Nick DID go to the cinema. I remember talking to him about Bo Widerberg's Elvira Madigan that was showing in Cambridge around the time. He was incensed that a movement from a Mozart piano concerto was so prominent as incidental music, when, in his opinion, the subject matter of the film had no connection with Mozart or pianos. Maybe he thought a soft guitar and breathy vocals would have been more appropriate.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm 

I hardly go to the movies lately either, but a few weeks back I broke that new tradition and saw Into The Wild. Not only a beautiful movie, also a great soundtrack with music from Eddie Vedder, Michael Brook and Kaki King. Especially the latter guitarist produces very fine fingerpickings and atmospheric stuff, just like on her four very different albums.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:37 am 

Peter Rice wrote:
Aw, Sylvia!

Nick DID go to the cinema. I remember talking to him about Bo Widerberg's Elvira Madigan that was showing in Cambridge around the time. He was incensed that a movement from a Mozart piano concerto was so prominent as incidental music, when, in his opinion, the subject matter of the film had no connection with Mozart or pianos. Maybe he thought a soft guitar and breathy vocals would have been more appropriate.

DEAR PETER!! OMG!!!!! OK, I stand corrected of course, and thanks for that. Now, here is the six degrees of separation that links me to Nick forever-besides just that general feeling of being linked to him forever. He was talking about Mozart-Mozart was born on January 27. That is also MY birthday. And he very logically stated an opinion that I'm sure is 100% valid, and one with which Wolfie himself would have agreed.

But the NY Times review had high praise for everything about this movie and mentioned this for the music:

To be sure, it is an old-fashioned story, romantic and filled with sentiment of the sort that is aptly expressed in the eloquence of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21, which is used as the major musical theme.

So, was Nick able to enjoy anything else about the flick, or was he so very focused on the music? But....don't you see the connection??? You spoke with him-and then you posted a message to me-admittedly a few years later. You've made my night. :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:50 pm 

I should have said that he and I separately both liked the film - it was wonderfully directed and expressed a romantic sentiment that was typical of the 60s/70s. The negative comment about the choice of music may well have been more in the way of trying to find something to criticise, since the visual dimension was virtual perfection.

Glad it made your night, anyway!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:09 am 

Cheers Peter,
I will look out for this film, sounds good :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 pm 

I might as well rename this "Sylvia's Selections." And I don't even go to the movies as much as I used to. OK, the latest:

Burn After Reading----it's OK. Funny in places. Great cast!

Pineapple Express---consistently funny. Long scene at end with the usual car violence, explosions etc. becomes boring. Otherwise-VERY funny

Zak and Miri Make a licencious imagery----I saw this because it was the same guy involved in Pineapple Express. It had some very funny moments, but otherwise...just so so. Unless you are male and enjoy bare breasts. Then there would be a little more for you here.

That's it for now kiddies!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2  Next