NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Colonial Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James-US NIck Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Colonial Music Reply with quote

The whole state of music is in the shitter currently. I have a hard time finding any new talent overseas and otherwise. I have said it before and I will say it again, Elliott Smith will be remembered as the UNited States Nick Drake. HE is the greatest talent we have ever produced and while not nearly as good as Nick he is aa close a second as we can come to! I cant listen to modern rock radio, its all horrible. Even the UK is in a bad state. all the boy bands and pop fluff acts that have originated in my countries home land (SPice Girls--need I say more?) is indicative of the global music state, which can only be a good thing really. As more and more crap is produced and distributed to the huddled masses the more the great acts shine through, like the Drakes and the SMiths. I dont mean to defend my country or disrespect England in any way. I love England in a way I cant love America. I have spent two long furloughs over there in my short, 18 year old life, (16 and 8 months apiece) and I know I will be living there in my adult life, I fell in love with europe and in love with Chealsea football club (and yes, it was before Abromavich)
Cathy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Hi James, I agree with you to an extent, but theres always been pop fluff around in various guises. Would be interesting to see how much dross was in the top twenty on the same day Pink Moon was originally released. There are times of course when you get loads of people rushing out to buy more interesting stuff but its often tied in with fashion and therefore more palatable for mass consumption. I take your point but I think we all tend to romanticise the past. I remember as a child in the 70s that most of the music getting regular airplay was anodyne and commerical, but thats not always such a bad thing cos it means you get a decent underground scene flourishing in response. There has always been great and original music around and there is right now... where do you want me to start?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: