NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Easy Drake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John4

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Easy Drake Reply with quote

Ive just discovered a rather good tab for normal tuning of Time Has Told me....are there any other easy versions of Nicks songs around. I can get my fingers round some of the authentic ones but the endless re-tuning (and getting lost) drives me mad.

Also...while I'm at it, are there any good guides to 'how best' to re-tune to some of his tunings...I'm sure I've got strings a whole octave out while I've been faffing about trying to find f#.

Cheers

John
John4

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

So...if you were going to just drop into your local folk club and toss off a couple of Nick Drakes...which would they be...and how would you manage the tuning?
David Horner

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Hi Can you help? I am looking for the basic chords for time of no reply Ive looked on numorous occasions but had no look.
Thanks

David
Orv Pibbs

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Amazon in the UK has a song book available, that includes "Time of No Reply" and all other Nick Drake tunes. I have it, and its pretty good. Although since Im a keyboardist, the various tunings for guitar of many of the songs, make it a little challenging for the piano. But for guitar, should be good for you. Check it out.
JoshNYC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Gotta disagree with you on the accuracy of that published book of songs from amazon, Orv. Robert Kirby himself told me it was full of incorrect chords, and Ive found that to be the case as I just got the book a couple of weeks ago and found it fairly useless. There are even lyric goofs, unforgiveable in my opinion. But its better than nothing, I reckon, if you dont have the ear to figure out the chords from the songs themselves---as apparently the transcriber of the book didnt either!!

Orv Pibbs

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Josh,
Again, I'm a keyboard player, and you do have a point. However, using say "Day is Done" as a an example, the keyboard transcription for keys is close enough. Since you appear to know Robert, will U be attending his show in NYC in July? Should you find another Nick Drake songbook with better information, I trust that U will let all of us know...

Orv

JoshNYC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Orv, I should hope I will be at the July 2 show as I am the one who organized the concert and am the guitarist---and my wife Julie is the vocalist!

I'll have three guitars onstage with me---all tuned differently, so as to save time between songs plinking and plunking to get the unique Drake tunings.

I should say the Amazon book isn't ALL wrong...it's just you can't really depend on it for exact interpretations.

Most challenging song thus far: Three Hours. Took me three days to hear what he was doing in a couple of spots, and Robert says he sometimes used as many as 5 fingers on the right hand.

Visit my website at TheMaxes.com for more info...and you can download Julie and I doing "Fruit Tree"...cheers.
Orv Pibbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Josh,

Very Cool ! I am so envious of you. Wished I could be there. But unfortunately I have other committments. Is there any possibility of getting a recording of the show after it takes place ? Nick's Art has really influenced me as both an Artis and a Person.

Orv
JoshNYC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Thanks, Orv. Yes, the concert will be recorded and were currently in talks about a release...nothing solid yet but of course if it happens well let folks know.

Orv Pibbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Hopefully, you will not run into the same problem with the concert,as the movie A Skin Too Few. A slow as things are moving with that, will probably be 2006 until one will be able to obtain a legitmate DVD copy.

Orv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: