NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Jose Gonzalez tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tikitorch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Jose Gonzalez tip Reply with quote

Hey, BlueSort and other Nick Drake fans: If you haven't checked him out yet, I think you'll really dig Jose Gonzalez. His website, www.jose-gonzalez.com and his myspace page both play tunes. They're so hypnotic. You might have heard "Heartbeats" on some Sony commercial--the one with all the bouncing rubber balls. I passed the CD around my office and everyone's hooked. Hey, it's healthy. And Jose is even on tour for the next month or so, so if you get a chance, see him live. I've heard his sets at SXSW were amazing. I'm new here, and I look foward to talking music with you!
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, wonderful stuff. The guitar playing is sublime as well, nothing like Nick's style but equally distinctive and individual
BlueSort

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Jose Gonzalez Reply with quote

TikiTorch, We'll be heading to New York next weekend to see Zero 7, w/ Jose & Sia, at Webster Hall. My wife and I are very much looking forward to the show. Check out the new Ray Lamontagne record, "Till the Sun Turns Black". Great record all around. Reminds of me Van Morrison but the first track "Be Here Now" owes everything to Nick. Cheers
placetobe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adored Jose Gonzalez for ages, and then saw him last August. I have to say I was so disappointed.
Usually when I see a musician live, there's something else added to their music; some extra flavour that's lacking from the recordings that marks live performances from listening to the CD.
However, with Jose, there was absolutely nothing! He was the exact same as he is on record, and it felt bland. I was bored!
It was probably the wrong situation for him - the main stage at the Greenman festival; sadly I hadn't had any money to see him in November 2005, when he was playing one of my favourite venues. I always regret missing that show. Sad

I wonder what Nick Drake was like live. I imagine that he'd weave intensity around him, and draw you in, even though he was so shy. It would lie in his awkwardness...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nossuri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered the second Jeremy Flies-cover CD a lady of the internet-shop gave me the name of Gonzalez. "If you love Nick, you'll love Jose", she wrote. She was right.
the_road_warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recently bought Veneer and have been pretty impressed.

I remember hearing Heartbeats at the time it was around and was mildly interested, but it was only after hearing people compare him to Nick (which is unfounded really) and reading that a major influence on him was Nick, that I decided to go for it.

I think Remain, Crosses and Hints would have to be my favourite tracks.
Will be interesting to see where he goes next musically.
the_road_warrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See he's got a new album out on Monday here. Heard one track on his website and it seemed pretty good for a first listen, very similar to his previous stuff still.

Looking forward to it
Nossuri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't had the time to listen to them I bought the new album In Our Nature + the 2004-EP Stay In The Shade (including 4 non-album tracks) + the limited free single Down The Line, which includes the cover of Smalltown Boy from Bronski Beat. Skipping through them promissed a lot of acoustic guitar-virtuozo and gentle voices...
Nossuri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzalez recently released a new CD with his old band Junip, plus 2 older EP's with stuff they recorded before Gonzalez went solo: http://www.junip.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> General Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: