NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Nick's Guitar, his style of playing, and how to learn.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Nick's Guitar, his style of playing, and how to learn. Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new here, but not to Nick's music.
I have been reading a lot of posts from people wanting to learn how to play at Nick's level or how to play in his "style", as well as what guitar he used, mics, etc.

I was going to ask in a post how someone reccomends teaching yourself in Nick's style, but it seems that the question has already been exhausted.

However, I think it would be great if there were some kind of forum specifically set up for professional musicians (and skilled ametuers) to help teach novices fingerstyle via Nick's music, as well as tips for recording, good guitars, this sort of thing.

Anyway, please share your thoughts.
Thanks
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bogo,

That's what this bit of the forum is essentially for, it's a seperate area for musicians to discuss the specifics of Nick's work as opposed to general topics about Nick on the 'Fans' section.

Cheers,

Matt
Bogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt (admin) wrote:
Hi Bogo,

That's what this bit of the forum is essentially for, it's a seperate area for musicians to discuss the specifics of Nick's work as opposed to general topics about Nick on the 'Fans' section.

Cheers,

Matt

You're right. I realized after I posted this that this IS essentially what I was talking about. Thanks for the response.

More specifically then, is there any plan to release a comprehensive set of tab books or scores for the albums? I think now that Nick's popularity has hit a high point, it would be a good idea to release something like that for aspiring fingerstyle guitarists (and guitarists in general).
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is one TAB book out at the moment :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Blue-an-Introduction-Nick-Drake/dp/0711981795/sr=8-10/qid=1157099983/ref=pd_ka_10/026-8905999-4180421?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

but it's unlikely there will be a full set of TABs released officially. With most of Nick's stuff, however, once you've worked out the tuning it's not that big a step to work out what he's doing. I suggest you start a new thread to discuss tunings for the songs and see what happens. Maybe we can start a list of the tunings for all the songs which we can add to the site somewhere for others to reference.

Cheers,

Matt
Richie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bogo, you might want to take a look at this site:

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/NDtabs2.html

Comprehensive and quite accurate tabs of pretty much every song by Nick.. they may not be professional but I've found that most of them sound spot on. A lot of Nick's songs can be quite challenging to play, it takes a lot of work to get the right\picking hand patterns correct in particular but if you start off playing things slowly and gradually work up speed it'll come to you eventually.

PS- I'm new on here by the way. Nice to see another healthily active forum on Nick, I also post a bit on Brendan's long-running Drake board over here:
http://www.b2g2.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=brendan0813
Anzacky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tab book "way to blue an introduction to the music of Nick Drake" But i have seen another book with a bigger collection of songs, the only problem is it's not tab so for some one like me who can't read music it is useless. I would love to see a tab release as three hours is in that book and i would love to learn that song.
4_feet_to_infinity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with the statement that once you learn the patterns slowly, you can pick it up. I usually try to learn the chords first, and then try for individual notes. Seems to work well.
jacomo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I've taught myself every Nick Drake song within one year. I'm twenty years old - I became obsessed with his music and had to master the songs. Start slow with the fingerpicking patterns and you'll soon master them. I love the sound of the rolling rhythms.

You can hear/watch a bunch of my Nick Drake songs here to believe me - http://www.youtube.com/evanrkg
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacomo wrote:
Start slow with the fingerpicking patterns and you'll soon master them.

Yeah, just keep at it, keep practicing until your hands ache.
I started learning 'From the Morning' about week ago, but found it hard to master the fingerpicking, especially the thumb. I have been playing it over and over again on a daily basis for a few hours every day and today when I came home from work, the first thing I did was picking up my guitar, I started playing and I had it! Now I can play it pretty much flawlessly in the right tempo and I can even play the variations Nick does here and there. I'm so happy. Very Happy

Which song should I start on next, knowing I can play 'From the Morning'?
modestmatt14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicks guitar picking is like a tougne twister i think. you jsut have to pracitce for massive amount of minutes or hours and never stop it and once you can get htat down it is jsut perfecting it
jacomo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus wrote:
jacomo wrote:
Start slow with the fingerpicking patterns and you'll soon master them.

Yeah, just keep at it, keep practicing until your hands ache.
I started learning 'From the Morning' about week ago, but found it hard to master the fingerpicking, especially the thumb. I have been playing it over and over again on a daily basis for a few hours every day and today when I came home from work, the first thing I did was picking up my guitar, I started playing and I had it! Now I can play it pretty much flawlessly in the right tempo and I can even play the variations Nick does here and there. I'm so happy. Very Happy

I'd suggest 'Parasite' for the more Travis picking-esque style or 'Road' if you really want a challenge.
bmore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine does excellent covers of a lot of Nick's music. He showed me how to play `From the Morning' and with a couple weeks practice I've got it down and can sing it also. I find the slide is very important to get the right sound.
But he's told me that the only way I'll be able to play some songs (eg Fruit Tree, Road) is to be able to pick with all five of my right hand digits i.e. Ive got to have good control of both my right hand pinkie and ring finger. Is this so? Is there any one out there that plays `Road' without using their right hand pinkie? I find it very hard to pick with my thumb and all fingers.
Richie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't need your right-hand pinkie to play 'Road'.. at least not the way I try to do it (using the tab from that site I linked to above). It's tough to get it to sound like the way he plays it though, you need to work on emphasising certain strings above others. My own project at the moment is trying to get 'Cello Song' right, I have a fair bit of it sounding okay but I can never get through the full intro part without coming undone towards that tricky bit before he launches into the main part..
modestmatt14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit tree doesn't need to use a pinkie unless you are picking a few strings at the same time. but fruit tree can actually be done with 4 fingers
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacomo wrote:
Nautilus wrote:

I'd suggest 'Parasite' for the more Travis picking-esque style or 'Road' if you really want a challenge.

I've mastered 'Parasite' as well over the last week, including the singing part. I'll just need to practice it a bit more to make it more fluent, get the last couple of flaws out and master a - imo - tricky variation with pulloffs during the chorus, but I can play the basic structure with my eyes closed. Smile

Next up is 'Road'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: