It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How did Drake accomplish so many tunings for Pink Moon?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:41 pm 

- Drake's guitar had magical powers? (or more realistically, did it not have a problem playing in such diverse tunings?)
- Drake changed the strings depending on the song? (Most of the strings on Pink Moon sound dead, but maybe he saved dead strings and swapped gauges?)
- Did Drake swap out saddles between the recording sessions? Maybe this is unlikely too, but you never know

Last edited by wisemanfreed on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:22 pm 

Um,, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere, not sure where, perharps the
Dann bio, that two guitars were used on Pink One, one being a nylon string classical. In fact you can hear the differences... I'm fairly certain that Things Behind the Sun and Road are recorded on a Nylon string guitar.
If this is so, and disregarding Know and Horn, there are Nine songs recorded over two two hour sessions. so consider the following scenario

First session: Things Behind Sun -Standard Tuning on a Nylon string guitar; Road--- just drop the g string down to e, play on the same nylon string guitar; then switch to second guitar pretuned and ready to play in CGCFCE, play Pink Moon, Which Will, and Parasite. Drop high C string to G, play Place to Be. End of first session.

Second Session: Tune to BEBEBE, play Harvest Breed and From the Morning, tune down to AAdEBE play Free Ride.
notice in doing this you are always tuning Down, which is easier than tuning UP

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 am 

@ bmore: If Nick indeed used a Nylon string guitar, my money would be that it was only on "horn." All other tunes are clearly (to my ear) played on steel. I hear at least two guitars on the album: an all mahogany (road, things behind, which will, possibly others), and a spruce top of some kind, (possibly the reputed D28).

@ Blues: the smaller the guitar, the easier it is to move between different tunings, and lighter strings help a lot too. The M20 is tiny, and with light to medium strings, it's a breeze to change between all of Nick's various tunings without breaking strings much, and the action performs quite well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:01 am 

Well, I think Nick was a complete genius
Inspired, call it what you will
He played piano, so I guess I knew music if he could play what he did on piano and transfer it to guitar
I guess thats where he came up with all those tunings?
But (Christ!) his prowess on guitar is awesome. Its been said before and by others, but his guitar playing was perfect. I think Joe Boyd said something to the effect that each note was perfect

I mean, I've been playing guitar for as long as Nick was alive, but listening to Road or something, Christ, it just makes me feel silly, just what hes doing. Its all very well worked out, regardless of what his mental state was..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:28 pm 

I am naive and haven't completely gone through this incredible wealth of knowledge that I have found in this forum, but I wanted to share a way I have found to play with Nick in my livingroom. I tune my guitar down a half of a tone in a standard tuning i.e. inbetween D# and E, G# and A, C# and D etc. I then could play "Which Will" in a CFDmG Chord structure, Slap a capo on the first fret and play "Pink Moon" in D. I was under the impression that Nick used this slightly off tuning on purpose, perfection in the imperfection if you get my drift.

Offline Profile