NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

'From the Morning' in new UK TV ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But here's a thought.

John Densmore, as a member of the Door's probably doesn't need,.. to stay alive... any advertising deals.

Neither, likewise, does Tom Waits.

So they can both afford to be on their high horse.

Not like either of them are filthy rich, .... but by some standards they are.

Me, I have to work at a shitty minimum wage job 48 hours a week and on my days off try and do laundry, buy food, play guitar, sleep; and go back to work and do the same meaningless shit just to pay the rent and buy food for another week.

And be creative at the same time. At the age of 46. huh.

If some ad mogul said something like `ere we've got an`undred thousand dollar, , all you gotta do is sign away you rights, and we gonna use your song for an advert..... and I'd be like `So where do I sign?'

But then I'd say `WHAT, you want an `undred thou for me life???' go suck me big fat male bird .. and then What ..`only an `undred thou to buy my manumitance?" And I'd say `go plumb yourself'

And then I'd hafta go back to being a slave, till I was 76, and ready to die.

And you should do too.

Ah, but then what are me choices, lad?

(Please note, that in the above, where the text says `male bird' the original text was c*o*c*k; furthermore, when the text says `go plumb yourself' the original text was `go f*u*c*k yourself'

Regards,

Arthur.
Seran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Toffina has touched on an interesting point. I'm quite irritated that I can't listen to the 'New World Symphony' without seeing a young boy pushing a bike up a cobbled street in a grimey northern town. I'm less bothered, but bothered nonetheless, that I can't listen to Legiti's 'Atmospheres' without going on a journey through the star gate in 2001 (likewise the 'Blue Danube'). That kind of association is fine when the advertising agency has come up with a brilliant ,but original, jingle. But when it is a cherished song, well I think it can be a bit destructive (as Waites says) - but not always. I'm fine with them using 'From the Morning' (one of my most cherished songs by Nick), as long as I don't find myself thinking about toothpaste/cereal/soap powder. I guess what I'm saying is that the estate should be careful about the use of Nicks songs for advertising, but I can see the difficulty when balancing commercial vs artistic legacy considerations.

toffina1 wrote:
That's really interesting Peter.

Ultimately, I have no real gripes with people using Nick Drake (or anybody else's music) in their adverts and the advertising companies obviously spend a long time finding suitable music. However, used in the wrong way or for the wrong product, this can appear to diminish the artist and alter people's perception of them.
So many songs from established artists, or snippets of them, have been used to sell everything from toothpaste to cars, that I'm wondering why they can't simply employ someone to create new jingles...and there are plenty of talented people out there willing and able to do just that!

Which brings me on to this...I can no longer listen to this without forever being reminded of Formula One racing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgC6yJKoCXs

Suzuki Masajo
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually believe advertising can diminish anyone's art - good art is god art. It can desensitise people to it though which is the real danger (and, in some instances, provide a highly unfavourable first impression).

Good music is still good music, no matter what it's been used to sell
bmore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit more of Tom Waits quote:

They suck the life and meaning from the songs and impregnate them with promises of a better life with their product.

goodnight,
arthur.

I've got go get some cough medcin? Can anyone recomend?

BRRRING

Oops looks like AT&T is calling again. What can my bill be now??
I must go pay them somethin or I shan't have a phone, from this morning.

g'night.
Lumiere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt (admin) wrote:
I don't actually believe advertising can diminish anyone's art - good art is god art. It can desensitise people to it though which is the real danger (and, in some instances, provide a highly unfavourable first impression).

There is an interesting discussion about this matter going on for over 30 years, about using the work of art.
Most of the times, advertising supported by good music gives people a hint for new discovers, such as VW with Pink Moon or AT&T with From the Morning.
Of course there are negative aspects, like on AT&T's, as they broke the song to fit in their 30 seconds commercial.
But, still, it's a way to share art in larger circles, which seems positive, I believe.
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicks not hurting for cash, certainly Sad
GJB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you all feel about Nick's music being used (as it is, frequently) in TV programme such as Gardener's World (BBC) and various others? Personally I don't have a problem with the music being used in either TV ads or such programmes. I'm always delighted to hear it whatever the setting but then I've no desire just to be part of an exclusive club.
Sylvia127

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumiere wrote:
Matt (admin) wrote:

There is an interesting discussion about this matter going on for over 30 years, about using the work of art.
Most of the times, advertising supported by good music gives people a hint for new discovers, such as VW with Pink Moon or AT&T with From the Morning.
Of course there are negative aspects, like on AT&T's, as they broke the song to fit in their 30 seconds commercial.But, still, it's a way to share art in larger circles, which seems positive, I believe.

I found that so annoying I called AT & T to complain, as a valued customer, stating that although the ad is pretty visually, and flowy, etc., that it was disrespctful and shortsighted to cut this song short, and chop it up. Of course, I was thanked for my views, even though I don't use AT & T. Very Happy
Lumiere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in an intestine fight for customers and try to do their best to attract the public.
Playing Nick Drake is warm and classy. And filling the screen with Christo and Jeanne-Claude's art brings interest. Orange colors and yellows from a fresh morning, new day, new things in the air...
I know a lot of people who stopped and wondered, "who's that voice? what song is that?" Nick Drake's newcomers.
And in other hand the ones who know Nick's work look at the upsetting fact of From the Morning chopped. Guess we are the colateral damage, little for AT&T when they count thousands of new subscriptions for their services.
lostmusic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, using Nick's music for advertising is crass and cheap and with the service AT&T provides, they don't deserve to be associated with the likes of Nick Drake.

But having said that, I have to admit that whenever I hear a Nick Drake song either in an ad or a movie, my attention is grabbed immediately and I take a breath and stop and listen and enjoy the music. I just can't help it...
ivyjean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for zombifying this thread, but ...

I discovered Nick very much by a random Google search (going to start a spinoff thread on that) and was captivated by him. I found somebody's YouTube channel and was using it as background music while I worked, just letting it flow over me. The song I now know as "From The Morning" came on and as soon as he lilted the word "beautiful" in that second line, I had mental images of flowing orange fabric. It was a real well I'll be damned moment, but now the song doesn't recall the commercial to me at all. It just exists as its own beautiful entity.

I'd like it played at my funeral, and I'm amused by imagining my family's confusion when they recognize "the AT&T song." Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: