NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

How did you discover Nick Drake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f3lix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......About 30 years ago (God that is scary) I was in a record shop with my best friend, who's surname happens to be Drake (yes it's true) I was flicking through the (lovely vinyl) albums.... and came across one called Pink Moon. Loved the cover and thought it was funny about name coinicidence so went ahead and bought it.......

......got it home........

.....and..

........ Hated it.

This guy couldn't play, sung out of tune........... YuKKKkkk!!!

About 2 months later for some unknown reason it ended up on my turn table again........

.........It was the the best thing I had ever heard!

I've no need to explain to you guys but it sent a shiver down my spine.

For me, not only is Pink Moon Nick Drakes best album but one of the best albums I own.

Hi and goodbye..........f3lix. x
MarkRoberton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post on here :>)

I might have had an experience common to many of you;

Going through school in the early 70's, there was a trend towards progressive music (fairly obviously). Although I wasn't completely 'in' with the clique, because I also liked Stevie Wonder and ska reggae, I had always loved The Yardbirds, Pink Floyd and The Who. These bands, plus Zep/ELP/Sabbath fuelled the testosterone, plus there was that ever-present itching urge to seek out musical dexterity, and fuel the imagination (King Crimson/Yes).

Every girl I knew back then had Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Elton, and James Taylor.
But one, 'Peta' liked the young Al Stewart, and had 'Five Leaves Left'. It was easy to curl the lip at such softies, but I could see the charm in this - plus I couldn't deny a little regard for Donovan, so I 'got it' - just didn't 'go get it'.
I also gave little interest in Fairport Convention and Sandy Denny then.
However..... time shows the wiser, and those voices from the past did wait for me. 'Timeless music'? Now a familiar term, but this is what it means, it doesn't need to belong to time.
Coming across a copy of 'Heaven In A Wild Flower' in a used record shop I used to frequent, I really liked the atmosphere that it had. Then the natural step to take, was to hear the rest of Nick Drake's work - a wonderful body of music that it is (and there's a copy of Pink Moon on its' way to me now, as I don't have that LP yet)

I got around to hearing Fairport, and the beauty of Sandy Denny's voice in particular, 'Fotheringay' off the 2nd LP is the most hauntingly sad and touching piece of music I have ever heard. Nick Drake has such a beauty, that vocal presence that fills a room, and fabulous guitar-strings playing underneath.

I realised how unique is his lingering and languishing in the words, drawn out like a bowed instrument, like they're coming to the top of a well, careful not to waste a drop of the emotional content.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My younger brother put on Five Leaves Left a few years ago when we sitting in my flat having a quiet night in with a few beers and playing a bit of Pro Evolution Soccer on the old Playstation. It just floored me in a way that no album has done since. I kicked myself for not finding out about this incredible music sooner.

Within days I'd bought it along with Bryter Later and Pink Moon, with the latter now among my favourite albums of all time. I then set about learning as many of the songs as possible on guitar, (with mixed results! Laughing ) while reading the available books about him.

Also, Pink Moon was also the first present I bought my girlfriend and she's now a fully fledged devotee too. Very Happy
MarkRoberton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in the last hour I have listened, for the very first time, to Pink Moon.
I've got the other original albums, so I thought to treat myself to the one I had put off getting.

I'm astounded after one play, I had to sit down to take it in, though I'd casually thought to potter about and maybe hear a couple of tracks then watch something I like on the television (okay, I'll admit it, I like 'The Weakest Link'. There, I've said it).

I heard something about the process of recording this LP was to record the instruments and the vocal separately, and the effect of that would make sense - in allowing the phrasing and impact of the lyric, without even slight distraction of having to concentrate on the guitar.

Anyway, the lyrics are already 'impacting'!
This on first impression I liken Nick's voice to the instinctual depth and soulfulness from a Native American Indian. Practically a religious experience? Are such analogies too much to draw parallel?
Why not, music is the food of.........
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johanna San

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Drake has so been a part of my life for the past year and a half that I find it hard to believe it has only been that long. I grew up listening to Donovan and a lot of the music of the 60's and 70's but somehow missed Nick in all that time. In Fall of 2007 I returned to college after a break of over 20 years. My painting professor required us to do a review of art in one of the local galleries or studios. Every fall Cookeville TN hosts an event called "the Art Prowl' where local studios open their doors to the public, so I took my then 8 year old daughter with me and we hit the galleries. After a fantastic event, we headed into the last gallery happy and exhausted. They had refreshments and we browsed the artwork and snacked. Music played in the background and I found myself focusing on the song more than the art. Another song came on and it was even more beautiful than the first. By the third song, I walked up to the man behind the counter and asked him what exactly we were listening to. He said Nick Drake. I asked, is he new, I've never heard of him. Within a week I was the proud owner of Five Leaves Left, Bryter Later and Pink Moon. Nick has inspired paintings and is often played at my house. My musician sons have not specifically attempted to learn Nick's songs but every so often I hear a phrasing or bit slipping into the songs they write. I can't imagine life without Nick now.
The Raven, Lilith by George MacDonald
Anaba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard Nick's music was at my friends place maybe five or six years ago. He was listening to 'Cello Song and I found it quite interesting. I asked him about it and he suggested Bryter Layter for me for being an "easier" album than Five leaves left. Well I went to the library but there was only five leaves left so I lent it and fell in love with it.
Artery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. This is my first post.

Like someone else here I first heard NIck Drake (Hazy Jane) on the Island sampler LP Bumpers in 1971. I was enraptured from that moment. I am glad to say that I bought all Nick's albums while he was alive so he at least earned some money from them. They were 2.15 each from Musicland in Kingston-Upon-Thames.

The received view these days is that Nick was totally unknown during his lifetime. I must tell you that is not completely true: there was a lot of liking and support for Nick among my friends and in the music press. There weren't many detailed articles or features simply because no-one had access to Nick or supplementary detail about his songs.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artery wrote:
Hi. This is my first post.

Like someone else here I first heard NIck Drake (Hazy Jane) on the Island sampler LP Bumpers in 1971. I was enraptured from that moment. I am glad to say that I bought all Nick's albums while he was alive so he at least earned some money from them. They were 2.15 each from Musicland in Kingston-Upon-Thames.

The received view these days is that Nick was totally unknown during his lifetime. I must tell you that is not completely true: there was a lot of liking and support for Nick among my friends and in the music press. There weren't many detailed articles or features simply because no-one had access to Nick or supplementary detail about his songs.

Welcome! Great to read! I guess you're right about the last. When people sell about 20.000 albums today (like Nick seems to have, according to Peter Hogan in his book "Nick Drake: The complete guide to his music) one would say they have a cult-following. In those days the music-industry wasn't so over-the-top as now, I guess, so that would make that amount even more telling. But I guess for an artist on Island it was just not enough.
Gretsch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

Let me start out by saying I am simply blown away by Nick. I love late 60's/early 70's stuff like The Dead, The Airplane, early Floyd, etc. I discovered Mr. Drakes music while reading a Syd Barrett forum (Syd is one of my all time favorites) and decided to search You Tube for his stuff. The first song I listened to was "Parasite" and it actually brought me to tears! After listening to this song about 500 times in a row (wife was not happy about that!) I started searching for more of his music and the rest is history.

Now, my days are spent searching for as many bits and pieces as I can find about Nick and am learning alternate tunings in order to play his songs.

Love this forum, read everyday, look forward to many discussions with fellow Nick fans.
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the forum (and sorry for the delay getting you activated!)

Matt
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New revised publishing of Lost in the Woods out tomorrow (probably the best biography on the ill fated Syd Barrett out there)

In the UK. US publishing of the tome not for a few months..
Gretsch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the heads up JoeChrisMorris. I read Lost in the Woods not long ago but might check out the revised version.
Abderhamane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was aware of Nick from the early 80s, probably from the odd mention in the NME or something, but it wasn't until 1999 that I chanced upon a copy of Way To Blue and bought it. Around that time I'd met and fallen in love with a beautiful woman, so I did what every male does - I made her a mix CD! I can't remember exactly which of Nick's songs I included, but I think it might've been Northern Sky and River Man. But she said she'd enjoyed those songs the best so I ran out and bought Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter on CD (not Pink Moon, for some reason). It was coming up to Christmas so I got her a copy of Time Of No Reply too. We lived a fair distance apart, so we used to meet up halfway sometimes, often in Tanworth, where we'd wander around the lanes or sit in one of our cars and talk and listen to Nick, or... ahem... anyway, we used to think that Time Has Told Me was written for us...

Time has told me
You're a rare rare find
A troubled cure
For a troubled mind
Time has told me
Not to ask for more
For someday our ocean
Will find its shore

Life got in the way though and we split up a few months later and listening to his music became a bittersweet experience for me

And now it's nearly ten years later and I find myself up at two in the morning posting on messageboards. I bought the albums on vinyl not so long ago and can now listen to them every so often

I think of her every day
mayfaircalling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: my story Reply with quote

I heard of Nick Drake when I was about 11. My brother's boss had given him a copy of the CD, saying, "Beau, you look just like Nick Drake". It's very unnerving how much my brother looks like Nick. We put on the CD and listened to the first couple songs together, and we agreed that it was good. Later on I went back and focused in on Cello Song, because I played cello at the time. I was hooked, and 9 years later I still listen to him every day.

Before this introduction at 11, I'd been reading "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (come on, I was 11!), and the song Road was quoted in one of the chapters. Of course it didn't mean anything to me at the time that I read it.

I also have a very vague memory of reading a Horse Illustrated issue, where a woman had written in about her horse that had died, and she quoted Pink Moon. I remember wondering what the hell a pink moon was. I could be mistaken about this... it was a very, very long time ago.
Johanna San

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Road" was quoted in "the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"? Do you happen to recall whereabouts? I'm going to have to re-read it
The Raven, Lilith by George MacDonald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: