NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

How did you discover Nick Drake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayfaircalling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled it, it's definitely in there! Smile

It's a chapter header, but I don't remember which chapter it was for.
theadmans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was after reading an article on Nick in "Strange Things Are Happening" magazine in the late 80s - I know I went straight out and bought all 3 albums on CD.
Wild Flower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having read Nick's name a number of years ago in the Belgian magazine Humo. I saw a photograph of Nick and I was intriged.
But at that time I didn't have a computer yet, so I didn't know where to start looking for his music.

Then 2 months ago I read another article on Nick in the same magazine and I realised I had forgotten about him (shame on me Smile )

I googled and found so many things about him and his music.
Now I'm the proud owner of the albums Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon and I'm totally hooked ... Pink Moon is by far my favourite album, so beautiful, fragile and perfect ...

Whenever I see the photo of him, sitting on a bench in the park (the photo is taken from his right side), not able to look into the camera lense, but just staring in front of him ... it breaks my heart ...

But I'm glad I can finally enjoy his music!
Railroadearthfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend, and musician extraordinaire, Joey Mutis III of The Electric Farm turned me on to Nick 5 years ago.
fuztownsend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also my first post,

I heard the last 20 seconds of Riverman on radio 2 last week. I think it was Guy Chambers on 'tracks of my years' I tracked down FLL and downloaded it.

Just a pity I have never heard Nicks music until now. Got all 3 albums and listen to them non stop. Im sure there will come a time when I wont listen everyday, but feel that my world is a little bit of a better place knowing that Nicks music is there.

Of course i have read all the history and events surrounding his life, and can appreciate the music a bit better because of this, but it does not take away what an inspired singer and songwriter he was.

I have told my brother and dad about his music and told them to check him out, and although I also want to tell everybody i meet, I think its probably better, just to drop occasional hints and suggestions and let people discover his music on thier own.

ps. I heard black eyed dog for the first time a couple of days ago and it literally sent shivers down my spine.
pps. plectrum34 on youtube has nicks songs down to a tee. He should tour!
NowhereMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said in another thread,so I wont elaborate too much,it was about 5 yrs ago when I first heard a song by Nick,which was River Man,on Radio 2.It totally knocked me out.Had to find out more about him,which I did.Five Leaves Left quickly followed and then Bryter Later.
toffina1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered Nick Drake through my son playing his music. I was blown away by River Man and now I've listened to everything he ever did over and over again. There's something special about Nick Drake...can't quite put my finger on it but the closest I can get to describing it is that it's like listening to somebody playing in your living room. His music seems REAL and personal. So sad he didn't live to see how much his songs are now appreciated.
flebbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interview with Anathema, a band I really like. They talked about Nick several times, so I decided to check him out. I came across the Time Has Told Me bootleg with a lot of early home recordings, thought he was a black guy at first Smile

After a while I bought all his official albums and collected several bootlegs. I still want more.
ivyjean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flebbie wrote:
thought he was a black guy at first Smile

I sent my blues-loving brother a link to a video of Nick's cover of Black Mountain Blues. He texted me immediately "are you sure this is a white boy?!"
Bernd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Hubert Reply with quote

First time I heard Nick´s musik was when I met a good friend of mine in my hometown. We sat in his small room and talked about this crazy wolrd (in partikular our private live with its ups and downs) but much more about the invisible rules. A law that send its message into all of us. Like lines where the music notes are noticed. You didn´t spend a focus on them, but they are borders for the notes and for us. Cut a long story short...nice music touching directly to the ground. And like Nietzsche said: "the ground is looks into you". He knew´d, not sentimental on the surface...much more deeper, not cold...even to deep for warm or cold, not bad or dark, not holy...only....deep. I thank him posthume for this widening art.
Seran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought FLL and Solid Air from a 2nd hand record store - it must have been the late 70s or early 80s - I can't remember for certain. I loved Solid Air, but whilst I played River man several times, the album - which I thought was pleasant enough - was then consigned to my LP shelf and I didn't play it much. Of course, I had no idea of the connection between these two records. I often wondered what 'Solid Air' (title track) was about - I always assumed it was about an ex-lover or something. It was about 10 years later before Nick's music started to register with me, but once it did that was it! I guess that is the thing with Nick's music - it doesn't come to you - you have to go to it.

Suzuki Masajo
BerwickDrake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it doesn't come to you - you have to go to it"

never on this forum or before in the press have i heard truer deconstruction of the music of Nick Drake, pinner i applaud you

this completly sums up the way i came to and feel about Nick, i had to go out there and get it, it took a few listens it dawned on me and will now never leave me.
Snorri-Smari1989

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister gave me his two first albums for my 12th birthday (in 2001). I liked the relatively accessible "Hazey Jane II," but remember, I was still a child and possibly not quite prepared yet. One year later, however, I gave Five Leaves Left a real try and was blown away.
Chris_Sydney

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BerwickDrake wrote:
"it doesn't come to you - you have to go to it"

never on this forum or before in the press have i heard truer deconstruction of the music of Nick Drake, pinner i applaud you

this completly sums up the way i came to and feel about Nick, i had to go out there and get it, it took a few listens it dawned on me and will now never leave me.

I agree completely! What a great comment.

x
BerwickDrake

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

althought im hardly an old time fan or anything and wouldnt claim to be but when i first listened to nick drake 7/8 years ago even then he wasnt as lauded as he is now.

the best music out there has to be discovered, dusty old record stores, your grandmothers attic, your old hippy dealer who lives down the roads back bedroom thats were true beauty of music lives, not in this months glossy mojo or uncut (althought i do love these magazines) or in the 2 for £10 section at HMV (again buy a lot of these)

I always value stuff more if i stumbled accross it or was advised to listen to it by the old drunk in the pub , music with soul that actually means somthing to someone, hate the plastic glimmering bollocks that they come up with nowadays and the shit people spout " oh adele changed my life" oh and "radiohead are the best band ever"

give me allan hull, dr john, davey graham, bert jansch or miles davis and stick your ed sheeran up your arse!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: