NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

'From the Morning' in new UK TV ad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: 'From the Morning' in new UK TV ad Reply with quote

Saw an ad on ITV last night (OK, I admit it, I was watching Doc Martin) and Nick's 'From the Morning' was the track used. Can't remember the product, something health related I think but no idea really. I was too busy thinking 'bugger me, that's Nick Drake in an advert!'

Matt
HazyJayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Nick on tv Reply with quote

Hi Matt

Just seen it 'Vicks cough syrup' (the air was beautiful) see what you mean you go into shock. Even though I'd seen your posting, and shouldn't have been surprised still felt funny!! strange even!. Saw it on cable channel while watching a film.

HJx
HazeyLiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen it on sky sports....what was nice was my wounderful wife heard Nick too...we both looked at each other...well i do play nick a lot....
Stuart Villarroel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Reply with quote

FROM THE MORNING? COUGH SYRUP? THE AIR WAS BEAUTIFUL?

MY GOD IS NOTHING SACRED?

Who gave permission for this? The Estate? If it was them, is this the "protecting Nick's legacy" they are always banging on about? Or is it "protecting the nice cash cow that is Nick Drake". They just released Family Tree. They are surely making plenty of money to keep them in champagne and smoked salmon.

I am disgusted that this priceless, beautiful, singular beauty of a song has been soiled in this way. The 21st Century is run by f***wits.

Stuart
joenirvana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Reply with quote

Stuart Villarroel wrote:
FROM THE MORNING? COUGH SYRUP? THE AIR WAS BEAUTIFUL?

MY GOD IS NOTHING SACRED?

Who gave permission for this? The Estate? If it was them, is this the "protecting Nick's legacy" they are always banging on about? Or is it "protecting the nice cash cow that is Nick Drake". They just released Family Tree. They are surely making plenty of money to keep them in champagne and smoked salmon.

I am disgusted that this priceless, beautiful, singular beauty of a song has been soiled in this way. The 21st Century is run by f***wits.

Stuart

I totally agree. It the same when that terrible advert used 'Pink Moon' as the soundtrack and then all promotion of that album was based on that tracks use in that advert. It just proves that some people are just greedy and want to exploit as much as possible
the_road_warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd also agree.

From the Morning is probably my favourite song (except maybe Three Hours) and to see it used just to sell a product, when its so beautiful and heart-wrentching upsets me.

I mean this has been covered before on another thread, and I can accept the idea that at least it will bring his music to more people or whatever, but to his fans this music is sacred like Stuart said and to hear some of his most tender and beautiful lyrics sold-out to help people "clear nasal passages and unblock phlegm" really irritates me
Stuart Villarroel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs appear in adverts. Some of them even kinda fit, but "From The Morning"" is just too damn good, just too beautiful, too fragile to be used in this way. It's like they took Nick's most beautiful delicate moment and put a rap to it. I mean its really that bad.
I haven't seen the advert, and don't ever want to. That song is too good for those f**kers.
No. No. No!
Music is spiritual. The music business is anything but.
We live in an age whe we can ransack the past and draw things in our own faeces all over and call it art, or legitimate.
If Nick's music (especially the raw brutal honest untouchable beauty that is the LP Pink Moon) is deemed fit to be just another bit of advertising background muzak then I am living in a sorrier world.
A bit of me died today. They desecrated "From The Morning" my favourite song ever.

Sorry for the angry rant but that song just is the last one that should have been used in an advert.
"My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold.."

Stuart
Sylvia127

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not aired here in the US to my knowledge, but have to agree with everyone. I can't imagine this song being used for this purpose or product. As a matter of fact, the only things suggested to me by the lyrics would be environmentally friendly products, nature, conservation, and Earth Care.
Stuart Villarroel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an email from Cally in which he has said the estate "has limited powers to the use of Nick's music in non-traditional outlets"
He said he was hurt by my comments but I have clarified my outburst below.

Here is my reply...

Hello Cally,

If you note my orignal email it should be apparent that my comments are
dependent on the word "IF" . If you are telling me that you didn't directly
approve this then I have no beef with you or the estate.
Besides I am just a fan and no one of importance.
I never made a direct accusation. I confess ignorance but you are The Estate
and we do not know who else has control over the use of Nick's music.
"Now we rise and we are everywhere including Cough Syrup ads..."
Thanks for presumably putting me in the clear.
I still think that From The Morning has been abused.
Yours Sincerely

Stuart
Mirrored Soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never want to see this advert - and I don't ever want to hear 'I got into Nick Drake after hearing that 'cough advert' - if that's the way to 'find' Nick's music you didn't deserve to. Would be nice just to see 'beautiful' imagery backed by Nick's beautiful music breaking up the monotonous mind numbing TV schedules - aligned to no one - sponsored by no one - belonging only to people who love beautiful music. Will never happen I know...
wayne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm all for music being used in adverts Shocked - it widens the fanbase...

And I think the VW ad was quite good as it was done sensitively - it also attracted a lot of new fans.

I've not seen the new ad but would have to agree the idea of Nick's music being used for a cough remedy seems a little tasteless...
hazeyjane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne wrote:
Personally I'm all for music being used in adverts Shocked - it widens the fanbase...

And I think the VW ad was quite good as it was done sensitively - it also attracted a lot of new fans.

I've not seen the new ad but would have to agree the idea of Nick's music being used for a cough remedy seems a little tasteless...

I totally agree with you. The VW add is beautiful and I know Nick would be proud of it. Because it's delicate and sensitive as the song Pink Moon.

And I'm also all for music being used in adverts for the same reason as you: it widens the fanbase. Isn't this what Nick wanted? That people listened to his music? He's not here anymore to do shows and other things to promote his music, so how can we can make as much people as possible to be touched by his music? Please don't get me wrong, I just believe that if the advert is well done (like the VW one), there's no need for panic.

I haven't seen the advert either. And a cough remedy and a car are tasteless the same way. It's just a matter of how the ad was made.
DJO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Last edited by DJO on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirrored Soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Nick would have thought having his music used to advance the cause (sorry profits!) of one of Global Capitalist's big players - whose history is abhorrent and whose continued worker exploitation can never cross the mind of a marketing team whilst discussing what a fantastic song Pink Moon is.
DJO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Last edited by DJO on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: