It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: John Martyn qoutes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 am 

Two interesting quotes from John Martyn I just stumbled upon from the same article from 1998;

One refers to Joe Boyd:

[Boyd] just ripped me straight off," Martyn snorts. "I don't mind, because I was young and stupid, but it did irreparable damage to my marriage. Boyd exploited English folk music and took me down with it. Joe admitted this to me and apologized, which caught me by surprise. It's very rarely you get that sort of apology."

And the other refers to Nick Drake:

"I love playing, but I try to arrive about two minutes before I start and leave two minutes after I'm done," he says. "No disrespect, but people just keep saying, 'How was it knowing Nick Drake?' And I'm like, 'Please, he's dead. He was my friend. Have some respect and leave me alone.' It's so intrusive that I've refused to talk about Nick Drake for the last eight years. I end up saying, 'If you paid half the attention to him while he was alive, he'd still be here. You killed him, man. You ignored him. He was too good for you."'

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 pm 

How very sad those quotes are.
The trouble is that the music business is just that - a business. Always has been and always will be and it's almost enevitable that singer/songwriters are exploited. Having said that, I think that the artistes are far more in control of things nowadays. There's the internet for one thing and also I think they've learned from all the horror stories of the past.
I wouldn't blame Joe Boyd because he was just doing the same as anyone else would have done in his position.
As I've said before...if I'd been aware of Nick Drake way back then, I would have bought his albums. Didn't hear them so didn't buy them :(
Don't know who is to blame...Nick Drake was a sensitive soul and wouldn't 'play the game' so it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 am 

yeah and we gotta remember what John was like... he tended to be a very acerbic, somewhat contrarian sort of guy who may have enjoyed just making contentious claims... it's hard to tell.... everybody has their `schtick', the way they perceive and portray themselves; and I take John's comments with that in mind.

Who's to blame?

I don't think anybodies ever to blame for anything. We all have our life gig, and Nick played his. Or at least that's one fatalistic way to look at it, ( like a star that came to say, one rainy day )-- which perspective I like to indulge in on occasion.

regards, Arthur.

Offline Profile