It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: X Factor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:18 pm 

Now here's a question! (or three, or four :roll: )

Do any of the people on X Factor have it? What is it anyway?

Would Bob Dylan have even got through the 1st audition? Doubt it somehow " You can't sing! Out!!!!!!" not saying I'm a huge fan but you can't argue with success....

So what exactly is the X Factor?.....and can we bottle it and make ourselves a fortune? :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm 

Does the X factor have a place?
Well, the divide between "pop" and "rock" has always been there. In the 80s it was nick kershaw and banarama or whoever was "manufactured" in the 60s many of the motown artists were in essence manufactured with a team of producers and songwriters working for them. (Although ofcourse arguably with better voices and talent). Simon Cowell would argue that its his programmes that keep Sony Music afloat and allow the company to invest in unknown rock talent.

I think the danger lies in anything that becomes directly or indirectly a monopoly. In short the two "manufactued pop" and what you and I might term real muisc have always co existed. I think the only fear people have is that its becoming less a co existence and more one form of music all of the time. If people are exposed to one type of music for the majority of the time they arguable beome a climatised to it.

Music is ultimately about emotion for me. The 11 yr old boy/girl has as much right to jump aorund her bedroom to Kylie as we do to put on a Nick Dfrake record and rest for a while. Ofcourse some music is just more technical, more proficient and more cleverely written. That really is just fact. Its harder to play Nick Drake's tabs than to play a g c d chord pop song.

I think the nature of the world is that things change, nothing is static. Look at the sudden change Grunge had on the music scene in the early 90s. Whether we see that again is hard to say though...

I hope some of these musings are of interest. ;) x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 pm 

stewart_h wrote:
In the 80s it was nick kershaw and banarama or whoever was "manufactured"

I'm not sure Nick Kershaw is a good example in this case. He put up his own band before he was signed as a solo-artist. In this band, Fusion, he played a jazz-rock kind of music. In many of his early solo-work (on which he played many instruments himself) you can hear this background. Also his guitar-solo's were, although too short, very well played. Some of the great instrumentalists like Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips wanted to play on his albums.
Maybe there's some confusion with one of those Stock/Aitken/Waterman products like Rick Ashley and indeed Bananarama.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 pm 

Lol you are right I was thinking of Nick Kamen (who got famous with the levi jeans ad). Nick Kershaw is quite good ! Was a worthy mistake to make though as youve added soeme interesting facts about the Kershaw !

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm 

stewart_h wrote:
Lol you are right I was thinking of Nick Kamen (who got famous with the levi jeans ad). Nick Kershaw is quite good ! Was a worthy mistake to make though as youve added soeme interesting facts about the Kershaw !

Yeah, Nick Kamen :lol:

B.t.w. Kershaw's first band was called Half Pint Hog. They had almost as much gigs as "our" Nick: three!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:42 am 

I wonder if Nick had gone on "Opportunity Knocks" the talent show of his day if he could have beat Mary Hopkin too the winning post and got a recording contract with The Beatles Apple records .
If Twiggy had been watching would she have contacted Paul McCartney and said you most sign this guy he's really talented, as she did with Mary ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVit7ce ... re=related

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm 

Y'know flydrake somehow i think Nick weren't quite the sort of guy that might enter a talent show. Not his style methinks.

But the Mary Hopkin singin `Those Were the Days' ( and there's a couple other good youtubes of the similar about) ; aside from the cheese factor, I think this is actually a very good song.

Allow, if you will, this wiki link with some background on the song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Were_the_Days_(song)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:39 pm 

If u watch Flydrakes linked video, please can someone tell me what the guy to the left of Mary Hopkin is saying at 2:09? This Is Vital Information.

egads,

Unruly,

Arthur.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

stewart_h wrote:
Does the X factor have a place?
Well, the divide between "pop" and "rock" has always been there. In the 80s it was nick kershaw and banarama or whoever was "manufactured" in the 60s many of the motown artists were in essence manufactured with a team of producers and songwriters working for them. (Although ofcourse arguably with better voices and talent). Simon Cowell would argue that its his programmes that keep Sony Music afloat and allow the company to invest in unknown rock talent.

I think the danger lies in anything that becomes directly or indirectly a monopoly. In short the two "manufactued pop" and what you and I might term real muisc have always co existed. I think the only fear people have is that its becoming less a co existence and more one form of music all of the time. If people are exposed to one type of music for the majority of the time they arguable beome a climatised to it.

Music is ultimately about emotion for me. The 11 yr old boy/girl has as much right to jump aorund her bedroom to Kylie as we do to put on a Nick Dfrake record and rest for a while. Ofcourse some music is just more technical, more proficient and more cleverely written. That really is just fact. Its harder to play Nick Drake's tabs than to play a g c d chord pop song.

I think the nature of the world is that things change, nothing is static. Look at the sudden change Grunge had on the music scene in the early 90s. Whether we see that again is hard to say though...

I hope some of these musings are of interest. ;) x

Goof post.

For me it is just a money making exercise for Simon Cowell and his cronies at the end of the day. It's even more cynical than the manufactured acts of the 80's although it really has captured a lot of people's imagination :shock:

I see there's a campaign to get The Trashmen's Surfin' Bird to number 1 this Christmas to beat the x-factor release again, I for one wholeheartedly endorse it!

Offline Profile