It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:34 am 

Buy cheap; sell high. The first and last lesson of success.

If you're a trader.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 am 

You seem to think that everyone involved in the music business should survive on air and praise.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am 

There are degrees.........and then there are degrees.
Praise usally comes at some sort of cost. Unless relations are involved of course.
It's said, and rightly so, those who can do and those who can't, teach. It also stands that those who can will and those who can't, exploit.
Except in the case of John Peel. As far as I know.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:58 pm 

My dog has no nose.

How does he smell?

Awful!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 pm 

I've read that John Martyn was physically abusive to his wife, Beverley and that he had some severe substance abuse problems. Could that possibly have contributed more to the irreparable damage to his marriage? :roll:
In "White Bicycles" it is clear there was no love lost between Joe Boyd and John Martyn and altho its not described exactly why, John Martyn was a difficult character.

Joe Boyd is a businessman and therefore interested in financial success but I never got the impression he wasn't sincerely interested in the music.
He made sure Nick's music would never go out of print before anyone knew there would be any money to be made from it.
(I told myself I wasn't going to participate in this discussion because its just discussion for discussion's sake. But here's my 2 cents anyway). :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 pm 

Joe didn't make any money for Witchseason, sold it to Island for a buck or something

Clearly if he was recording Nick Drake you was in it for the money as Nick only did a few gigs!

didn't tour or support his albums

Haven't read Beverley's recent book Sweet Honesty so I don't know how the relationship was between John and Joe

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:55 pm 

I beg to differ on the "few gigs" we have been led to believe after reading this http://galacticramble.blogspot.com/2010 ... ss_19.html
posted in another thread. Of course, also there's always the unlisted and private ones everyone does that always get forgotten.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:44 am 

I haven't read Beverley Martyn's book either.
(By the way, whatever happened to the song she and Nick supposedly wrote together that she was going to perform back in October, 2010)?
In Joe Boyd's "White Bicycles" (pages 196, 199) it indicates he wasn't a big fan of John Martyn as a person. It seems the feeling was mutual.

And no matter how many live gigs Nick actually did, he still didn't make any real money for Witchseason or Joe Boyd.

Boyd's promotion of Nick before and after his death seems to be a labour of love rather than a rip off.

(two more cents) :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 am 

Narcissus wrote:
P.S. While I have your attention Matt (admin) - what did you think of Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet? And would you reccomend it to others?

I definitely would recommend it - it's a book to be read slowly and absorbed (and then re-read several times). Full of wisdom and truth

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:30 pm 

any talk about "Northern Sky"?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm 

Please read the Beverley Martyn book Sweet Honesty. Although the writing is rushed and repetitive, it is very insightful, passionate, and ultimately, a rewarding read.

It does cast a dark shadow on John Martyn for he was a wife beating drunk. She explains how Joe Boyd tried to push her into a relationship with Nick Drake as a form of protection from John; as if it were “do you want the beauty or the beast?”

The book also explains how Boyd became silent during the Bev & John album Road to Ruin (by sitting in the sound room reading a newspaper) due to Beverley not seeing Joe’s advice through; to be with an abusive drunk rather than Nick was ineffable.

Matt (admin wrote:
I definitely would recommend it - it's a book to be read slowly and absorbed (and then re-read several times). Full of wisdom and truth

I am very pleased Matt!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am 

No. What Martyn said is interesting and may be similar to what Nick was getting at in Hanging on a Star.

But singers and musicians often complain they saw none of the money and their managers ripped them off etc. but I honestly believe Joe is 'one of the good guys'.

Without him we'd never have heard of the artists you've mentioned - let alone Nick.

In everything I've ever read on Nick, I've always got the impression Joe did the best for him and all his artists in a time when they were not prticularly fashionable and the wider music industry had no real interest.

It's probably a shame he left Witchseason to go to America (leaving Nick feeling abandoned) - but he did have his own life to live.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:24 pm 

One assumes Joe went to the US for the money and that Witchseason wasn't doing so hot, financially

He certainly wasn't making a fortune off of Nick Drake!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:55 pm 

JoeChrisMorris wrote:
One assumes Joe went to the US for the money and that Witchseason wasn't doing so hot, financially

Perhaps Joe but I feel that he scampered to America because nobody needed him in the UK;

Nick was pushing what would become Pink Moon with John Wood.

The Incredible String Band became Scientoligists.

John Martyn was being John Martyn and felt Beverly was a lost cause.

Linda left Joe to become Linda Thompson to be (after a brief spell with Nick).

Yes Whitchseason was in debt, so it was a natural choice not a money grabbing ‘F@*k you all I smell dollar”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 am 

There was an interesting television documentary on BBC4 the other night. It was about the Californian folk scene in the late 60s and early 70s and featured CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, James Brown etc. It did cross my mind that if only Nick had moved there and signed up with Elliot Roberts and David Geffen - it really could have worked artistically. Of course, Nick would never have done it alone, but perhaps he could have followed Joe (who, by the way, I don't see as a shark).

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next