It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting Bryter Layter-focused interview with Cally.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 pm 

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/writing/t ... ick_drake/

This bit stuck out for me:

Songfacts: Joe Boyd beautifully embellished the arrangements on Bryter Layter - there's string, brass, saxophone, etc. Is it true that Nick later said that the album was "too elaborate"?

Cally: In general I have found this anecdote to be written only by scoundrels with axes to grind or a thing against Joe Boyd himself. I do have a letter home to his father, written by Nick, stating how chuffed he was with the arrangements, praising Robert Kirby and Joe and John Wood for their talents. I think it highly unlikely Bryter Layter had anything on it that was 'forced' upon Nick. I'm told he was absolutely clear about when to say yes and no in the studio. The fact that Pink Moon was so scant with instruments tends to make people think that Nick took control and reacted against the Bryter Layter orchestrations which, I think, is nonsense when you look at what Nick was listening to (along with everyone else) by 1972.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 pm 

Nick seems to have been in a withdrawn state by Pink Moon, it sounds like just the sort of album you'd cut in a couple nights with just the engineer!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:18 am 

It also struck me that it was nice seeing someone other than Joe Boyd being interviewed about Nick for a change. Joe would likely say the same ;-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am 

Thanks for sharing Luke, there are a few new bits in there I wasn't aware of. Whether Cally makes the same decisions any of us would when it comes to Nick's legacy I think you have to admire his integrity.

Given that Joe Boyd, Robert Kirby and Cally (not to mention Nick's own letter to his father) all uphold the fact that Nick was happy with the arrangements on BL, I'd like to think we can now put to bed the idea that Nick was somehow coerced into them.

"Nick always had the final word, he made the decisions" - Robert Kirby

"I do have a letter home to his father, written by Nick, stating how chuffed he was with the arrangements, praising Robert Kirby and Joe and John Wood for their talents" - Cally

Whether we like BL as much as the other albums or not (I love it) I think we have to accept Nick was as responsible for how those songs sound as anyone. Pink Moon was undoubtedly a reaction to BL but that doesn't necessarily mean Nick was unhappy, just that he continued to change, as all artists do.

Listen to Dylan, Neil Young, Miles Davis, Springsteen - all of them changed tack regularly. My real regret about Nick's early death is that we didn't get the chance to hear more of these shifts over the years. Imagine how he might have sounded in his 50s with just a guitar, just a piano, a whole string section, electronics or a full band.

Now I have to go and listen to BL again! :)

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 pm 

My late sweet 90 year old mother-in-law always said that "Introduction" was "just beautiful" when ever I played BL in the car...and she loved Nick's voice. So Nick crossed the generation gap many times over.

I love BL as much as any by Nick.

BL's instrumental tracks to me were Nick's nod at such great masterpieces as Pet Sounds that used instrumental tracks to complete the full aural and musical palette. I'm sure that those great LPs that came before influenced and impressed Nick enough to want to try his hand at it too.

As we know now, Nick was quite proud of those instrumental tracks--as much as anything he did. And now we know that Nick had full power & final say....on everything, when it came to arrangements and final cuts in studio. As shy as he was, he was solidly in control of his music. I can just imagine him quietly saying, head lowered, "No, that's not right, let's try this", or, "Yeah, that's good".

And everyone in studio listened.

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:01 pm 

lukej wrote:
It also struck me that it was nice seeing someone other than Joe Boyd being interviewed about Nick for a change. Joe would likely say the same ;-)

Amen to that. Thanks for the link.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:46 pm 

For what it's worth, Introduction and Sunday are two of my favourite Nick pieces to play.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

lukej wrote:
For what it's worth, Introduction and Sunday are two of my favourite Nick pieces to play.
Worth a lot....

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:43 pm 

Gosh! Introduction is a favorite track!

I can see why its on the Treasury release!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:10 am 

In case you didn't see my previous post of this. I think my friends and I are the only people to ever do a complete performance of the Bryter Layter album.

:D

https://soundcloud.com/popsiclerecordin ... nick-drake

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm 

lukej wrote:
In case you didn't see my previous post of this. I think my friends and I are the only people to ever do a complete performance of the Bryter Layter album.

:D

https://soundcloud.com/popsiclerecordin ... nick-drake
Just wonderful, Luke. I can hear the love you all have for Nick.

I don't suppose you perform in my home of Maine... ever? Maine is very welcoming to our Canadian neighbors, as you know. Quebec & New Brunswick love us especially, and we love you all, French-English road signs along some Northern highways.

Bienvenue.

A great concert by you and your friends. Beautiful guitar work on Intro & Summer. Luke.

By the way, being a Bruins fan I can only offer condolences to the Leafs. We are calling it the Miracle Comeback-- historical. I can't imagine what Toronto is calling it?!

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm 

Thanks LK,

I'm a Brit, and not much into hockey I'm afraid. I only hear about it when my facebook feed fills with comments on a game night!

We'd bring the Songs Of Nick Drake show down to Maine in a heartbeat if a promoter there wanted to book us. If there was a way to scrape together two or three hundred Nick Drake fans in or around Portland...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm 

lukej wrote:
Thanks LK,

I'm a Brit, and not much into hockey I'm afraid. I only hear about it when my facebook feed fills with comments on a game night!

We'd bring the Songs Of Nick Drake show down to Maine in a heartbeat if a promoter there wanted to book us. If there was a way to scrape together two or three hundred Nick Drake fans in or around Portland...
Ahhh...it was a Canadian gig though right? Or did I completely miss that? So are the musicians all Brits, or international?

If you were Canadian it would be unpatriotic to NOT love hockey!

:wink:

-Aldous Huxley

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:56 am 

Well it will take more than Cally's opinion to sway me on Bryter Layter! Fact is that it is generally considered to be 'less good' (rather than 'poorer') than FLL and PM. That despite the songs being amongst Nick's best! And being critical of the production (as I most certainly am) does not imply I am anti Joe Boyd. My opion is that BL 'could' have been an absolute classic, but the production wasn't up to the standard of the song writing. I wish John Cale had produced it (for example) - I suspect we would have heard a very diffrent record.

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 pm 

Funny but the arrangements on BL are why I love it. They're what makes it more than just another Five Leaves Left - shows Nick taking things in a different direction.

It's definitely the most divisive of Nick's albums, that's for sure!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next