NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Rasmussen's Pink Moon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Rasmussen's Pink Moon Reply with quote

I don't think this is a spoiler!

I just finished reading Pink Moon by Gorm Rasmussen. Itís certainly worth getting and provides some different viewpoints on Nick. Given that Rasmussen is a poet this is perhaps not surprising, and it is certainly more emotive and thoughtful than the other biographies. For me personally the fact that Nick was diagnosed with endogenous depression was a surprise as I had the same. Whatís interesting here is that it is generally considered to be genetic, so drugs can help, but not cure. The solution is often to change oneís life, perhaps radically, in order to get away from the cause of the trauma. In that lay Nickís dilemma Ė which Rasmussen explores as only a poet might. Anyway, I like the way the book is written. Rasmussen clearly feels deeply about Nick and his legacy (not to suggest that other biographers did not of course) and the book is yet another piece of the jigsaw. If I had any reservations they would be that I was expecting more from Rasmussenís many discussions with Nickís friends and family and that the overall tone of the book is ultimately rather sad .

Suzuki Masajo
shirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts on the book!
I will most probably get it.
ivyjean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking very forward to reading it. I read the first bit (the "peek inside" feature on Amazon) and it really left me wanting more.
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I weren't poor and destitute here in New Jersey - NO JOBS!!

I'll have to pick it up when I'm not penniless. Doubt if my library will get it in anytime soon (though they did have the Trevor Dann & the Joe Boyd books in - go figure!

has anyone read it yet?
ivyjean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeChrisMorris wrote:
Doubt if my library will get it in anytime soon

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Will your library order in books for you on request? Ours will - it might be worth a shot.
Nossuri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon doesn't seem to know people can actually collect things, especially things from special people. Look which email I got today:

Quote:
You might like to know your copy of Nick Drake: The Pink Moon Files is eligible to trade in at our Trade-In Store.

When you've finished with this book you can trade it in for an Amazon.co.uk Gift Card, which you can then use on millions of items across the store.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ivyjean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nossuri wrote:
Amazon doesn't seem to know people can actually collect things, especially things from special people. Look which email I got today:

Quote:
You might like to know your copy of Nick Drake: The Pink Moon Files is eligible to trade in at our Trade-In Store.

When you've finished with this book you can trade it in for an Amazon.co.uk Gift Card, which you can then use on millions of items across the store.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

We live in a culture where everything is assumed to be disposable, and most people have such short attention spans ... Confused
LostBoy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading it. It was well written and although there was really not much "new" information in there, it was put in a more personal way than the other books were and drew me in more. The endogenous depression was news to me as well as was Brian Wells owning Nicks Martin guitar. The guitar debate will no doubt, go on, and on but there ye go. Smile
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in standard tuning, apparently
LostBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeChrisMorris wrote:
in standard tuning, apparently
Shocked

The guitar Brian has is apparantly the new one he got after Pink Moon so i'd like to know what happened to the original one (not the Spanish one belonging to his sister now) that was used on the demo's and first recordings.

Sorry, i'm just adding fuel to the fire I know Embarassed
Chris_Sydney

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly with Seran and LostBoy. Rasmussen's book is by far my favourite one about Nick. As it was primarily written before the big resurgence of interest in Nick in the 1990s, it has makes Gorm's journey to discover the threads and people Nick left behind even more personal. I love that he has preserved the ambiguity of Nick's legacy by offering little speculation and rather focusing on his own relationship with Nick's music, Nick's parents. There's a great sense of poetry in his writing style, with lots of passages that I found particularly evocative. I was very fond of the vignettes where he recreates in third person key moments in Nick's career, all written in a seemingly silent world where Nick does not communicate with others but merely observes. It's a brave choice for a subject who has been both dissected and mythologised so often, but it works.

If you haven't read it, I strongly encourage you to check it out. If I fancy myself in the mood to curl up with a book about Nick I know which one I will pull down from my bookshelf now.

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: