It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How many chances did Nick really have?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:23 pm 

Hi everyone,I'm new here.I've been browsing on this excellent forum on Nick and thought i'll write something.

This has been bugging me for a few years now, but how many chances/opportunities did Nick have of becoming well known/famous before his deep rooted depression set in?

It's widely known through Dann and Humphries' brilliant books on Nick that the depression started to become a problem around Bryter Layter/Haverstock Hill.

I think it was Muff Winwood and correct me if I'm wrong,this is just from memory,I haven't read the books in a while but he talks about going round to wherever Nick was living at the time and trying to wake him up.

I think he talks about Nick staying up 'til six in the morning smoking dope and it was winwood's job to basically try and wake Nick up.If this was just after Five Leaves Left was released I would have thought Nick would jumped at the chance to get his name out there.

I think winwood also says that he lost count of the t.v and radio sessions Nick missed because he was so untogether.I'm not sure,but how many gigs did Nick perform before the release of FLL? And if he did,how many went badly wrong for him?

Didn't FLL have sleeve printing errors and wasn't the album delayed several times as well?surely all this might have been eating away at Nick.
He has just made the most beautifully, stunning debut album at the age of twenty/twenty one only for a series of cock-ups to have happened!

Don't get me wrong,I'm not knocking Nick at all.Five Leaves Left,Bryter Layter and Pink Moon are my top three favourite albums ever(although not in that order),It's just that I feel Nick probably missed so many chances of reaching a wider audience when he was feeling up and relatively happy rather than how he became only a few years later.

Are there any more opportunities that Nick missed when he was 'healthy'?
Sorry for the rather lengthy first post and will be looking forward to contributing in the near future.[/b]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:31 pm 

he didn't tour, do any tv, skipped out on the odd promotion, and the only interview was a catastrophe

whether this was due to psychological trauma or indifference due to pot use..

certainly the man didn't try very hard to have a career. Barely even played at Cousines!

(which appears to have been the most laid back venue)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:19 pm 

I often get really upset and mad when those Guitar Heroes at the BBC are shown.I always think Nick should have been on there!
I'm pretty sure sure his performances would have been electric!
He would have given some brilliant performances.We probably would have seen him coughing,scratching his head and,heaven forbid,smiling!
I don't know if I would prefer to see him in this way after just seeing the photographs for so long.
It'd be like letting daylight in on magic,wouldn't it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:30 am 

I feel like maybe he was afraid of success, and separate from that, was unable to commit to what it takes to become successful. He was fundamentally unable to perform the acts that were required to attract attention. Think of it - could he have coped with fame? From what we know of him, I doubt it, and I'm sure that somewhere in his subconscious, he realized that.

Bless his heart. [/sincere]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm 

I'm also new here on this board. Been reading on the forum with much interest for quite some time, though.

One thing rarely taken into consideration, I think, when the subject of Drake's relatively limited commercial success is brought up, is that very few artists become greatly successful at all. Drake's career didn't start off with a boom but whose does? David Bowie had to struggle for several years, so did Simon&Garfunkel, and most other artists. Compared to many other cases, objectively spoken I wouldn't classify the reception of Drake's first album as too surprising, though it obviously deserved better. However, realistic expectations and expectations based on how you truly believe or know you deserve to be received are two different things. If the generally modest reception of his work affected his later depressions, I believe (without having known Nick or anyone in his close circle, mind you) that it was the indifference, more than anything else, that made him disappointed (posterity has demonstrated that BRYTER LAYTER is more than a "late coffee'n'chat record," or whatever it was that reviewer wrote of it in 1970). True, Nick's attitude when interviewed and his apparent fear of touring did not help matters....but the somewhat indifferent reception of his work, though not uncommon to any newcomer, possibly made him so disappointed he just did not care as much afterwards. Long-winded post, this....but it seems to be difficult avoiding some speculation on this matter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:46 pm 

Snorri-Smari1989 wrote:
One thing rarely taken into consideration, I think, when the subject of Drake's relatively limited commercial success is brought up, is that very few artists become greatly successful at all.

That's a very interesting point. It's often joked that only about 200 people bought the Velvet Underground's first album but that every one of them went on to form an important band. There's plenty of music (as well as books and art in general) that only comes to be appreciated after its time. In the case of some artists they're still alive and producing art when this happens so they get the benefit of it. In some cases, like Nick's, they're not around to see it happen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 pm 

Didn't Loves third album (Forever Changes) only make it to around 183 on the charts, narrowly beatingo ut Zappa albums like Lumpy Gravy

And thats probably better than any Beatles album

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 am 

I suspect the issue with Nick was his background. As a member of the social elite he would have been conditioned for success from an early age. But likewise, he wasn't a typical of that social class. Having acquired a recording contract without to much trouble and produce a marvellous first album it must have come as quite a shock to his self esteem. I would imagine Nick cared little for the trappings of wealth, but that intrinsic presumption of success must have been difficult to ignore - particularly with his sister achieving moderate success as an actor.

Suzuki Masajo

Offline Profile