It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which is your favourite album?
Five Leaves Left 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
Bryter Layter 26%  26%  [ 20 ]
Pink Moon 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 76
 Post subject: Which is your favourite Nick Drake album?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:33 pm 

Just curious to see the result, I have a fair idea which I think will win but you never know!

Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:37 am 

I think this one's gonna be close.

My vote's on Pink Moon.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Best Album
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:04 pm 

I have them all and listen to them all the time. If I had to give all but one of them up for the rest of my days, it would have to be "Five leaves Left". I could never understand the fuss over "Bryter" being his best record. I mean its great, but I think the musical depth and diversity of emotion are infinitely stronger and more engaging on FLL. Just my thoughts.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 pm 

maybe belonging to a minority, but I vote for Bryter Layter, as it has gems like:
Fly, Northern Sky, Hazey Jane I & II
but I like all the other albums either :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:19 am 

Matt, you should add a "can't choose" category (in keeping with Betty from RiverMan-ha!)

Today I picked Bryter Layter because of the most beautiful love song the ear can hear-but the cd I listened to for hours while driving was Five Leaves Left.

And the first acoustic song I can play myself (hurrah) is "Horn" from Pink Moon-so you see...c'est impossible.

Tell us yours and why...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:16 pm 

Hi Sylvia,

Mine has changed over the years, and probably will do again! When I first heard Nick's music about 15 years ago it was Five Leaves Left that I listened to more than the others and they've been in rotation as to which is my favourite since. Right now it's Bryter Layter, I love Northern Sky more than any other song of Nick's.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:24 am 

Matt (admin) wrote:
Hi Sylvia,

Mine has changed over the years, and probably will do again! When I first heard Nick's music about 15 years ago it was Five Leaves Left that I listened to more than the others and they've been in rotation as to which is my favourite since. Right now it's Bryter Layter, I love Northern Sky more than any other song of Nick's.

Total agreement there. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:44 am 

"It depends on how I'm a-feelin' " (from Boots Of Spanish Leather by B.D.) 8)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 am 

I love Cello Song from Five Leaves Left.

Pixi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:38 pm 

At the moment, mine is Bryter Layter, but it seems to always change. A few months ago it was Pink Moon, but I do think it just depends on the way you're feeling.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:44 pm 

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. I have only quite recently discovered Nick's music and absolutely love it. My favourite album is without doubt Bryter Layter and my favourite song from it is "One of these things first" - I especially love the piano on this song, it seems to have such a beautiful flow to it.
I don't think it is possible to listen to Nick's music, though, without somehow becoming drawn into the tragedy of his life.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: fav. album
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:13 pm 

Hi Matt.
I can only say that my favourite is bryter layter,but only because of nicks eagerness to try and make his sound more commercial.It may be that this was to be his money making one, and for someone as frail as nick, he must have been gutted when it didnt move.There has been a lot of discussion over the arrangement, but this album is a pandoras box, if you try to get close to it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: fav. album
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:15 pm 

anthony wrote:
my favourite is bryter layter,but only because of nicks eagerness to try and make his sound more commercial.

That's why I dislike Bryter Layter!

I like Pink Moon. It really is Drake's true testament of music. Just him and his guitar... no fancy orchestras or any of that. Just a man and his guitar showing how much he can do with it. Even though Pink Moon lacks any orchestration (except the piano notes), it seems to cover even more musical territory than either the two previous albums. Also, I just find it more enjoyable to have absolutely everything on the album be the work of Drake. Don't get me wrong, there are incredible moments on the prior two CDs, but I just have this geniune interest in Drake and Drake alone.

Oh, and the mood? I suppose that's why I vote Pink Moon. There's really never a time I wouldn't enjoy Pink Moon. I'm a stark guy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Favourite Nick Drake album
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 pm 

I think Nick is one of the few artists for whom it is impossible to choose a favourite, and I was delighted to see each of the three albums currently pegged level at 33% each ! For me they make up a perfect body of work.

I think this might be why people feel the need to buy everything immediately after buying a sampler ! I discovered Nick through an NME review of `Heaven In A Wild Flower' in 1985, and bought it on spec never having heard a note. I was bowled over. I played it all summer, and was desparate to hear the rest of his work. It wasn't until Hannibal re-issued `Fruit Tree' a year later that I finally got my wish, as the Island releases were impossible to obtain. It cost £19.99, I spent 2/3 of my dole money on it and starved for the rest of the week !

Enough info, I'm new to the list and may I say what a really nice standard of posts I've read so far ! Hi y'all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 pm 

i just love all three .....but if i had to pick id go for pink moon....but my fav Nick song is northern sky....

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Matt (admin) Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next