NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Nick on John Peel Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little is out there of Nick talking about Cambridge with Peel
Ken3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Nick Drake on the John Peel show Reply with quote

Sorry, been away for some time from the forum?
Yes the tapes do exist, and they were due to be played on the BBC in 2010.
I worked there , and took photo's of the broadcaster Gideon Coe.
I also promoted the BBC show by Brad Pitt that was put out a year earlier, on Nick.
The estate were not keen to have these played, and the tapes were pulled, which was a pity in my view? .
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess Gabrielle owns the rights; certainly Family Tree came out under duress, and that didn't even see the best home material released
Ken3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just felt if the theory expounded that Nick wanted his music to reach a wider audience and made a difference, as Molly had been known to suggest, then here was a show, that Nick himself had appeared on, and agreed to do, and the tapes would have been cleaned up for transmission.
Now you have the situation that bootleggers have inferior tapes, being exchanged beetween fans, and not available to a wider audience.
The estate does not gain, and neither does Nick in my opinion?
I think my view is different from others on here...
I love Nick's music and want it to be accessable, to a wide audience to promote his exceptional talent that he had.
Of course it is up to his sister to have the final say........
One beggers to wonder if the live tape that Peter Rice has of Nick in concert, he told me about should surface wether that would be seen as a suitable project to release, after the tapes had been digitally enhanced.
We have a wonderful cannon of music in Nick's album's, I felt this was an attempt to add to it........ I was obviously wrong?
Matt (admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken3 wrote:

The estate does not gain, and neither does Nick in my opinion?
I think my view is different from others on here...

We have a wonderful cannon of music in Nick's album's, I felt this was an attempt to add to it........ I was obviously wrong?

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you - I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say we'd like to hear the tape!
wayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken - could you tell us what the BBC tapes include? Is it just the music we've heard or is there an interview with Nick?

As for the Peter Rice tape, it would be lovely to hear that live concert, but I can't see it happening unfortunately, the estate has said before that they weren't happy with the musicians on the day...
Third Wave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken3, thanks very much for your input on this matter.

I don't suppose you would be kind enough to clear up some of the confusion over that broadcast attempt by Gideon Coe? Just what recording did he have access to? The partial, 2 track bootleg, the full, 4 track home recording (same source) or the, as yet, only rumured to exist 5 track pre-broadcast master tape?
Ken3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i know of no interview.......
I understood that they would have played 4 tracks with Peel and his producer in them.
Not sure John would have interviewed Nick, he may well have had a conversation with him. By the way I am informed that John's widow has his shows tapes. I have no idea where the tapes originate from?
I no longer work for the bbc. I did work on a number of other artists from this period including Rory Gallagher, and know Rory's brother quite well.
The BBC have a great vault of material, they also had a policy of re-recording over tape in those days. All BBC material has been moved to a new controlled/ monitored building as material does go missing? , and some becomes perished.
Sorry I cannot help more, I think the production crew were as bewildered about the programme as I was. Captain Beefheart was the replacement for Nick, and he apparently asked for a copy of the show, he liked the broadcast so much.
I think Nick's estate thought I was trying to create a story or something, frankly nothing could have been wider of the mark. I think working for the BBC just made them very cautious of me. At least that is how I felt.
JoeChrisMorris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the engineer for the Pink Floyds 1967 BBC sessions (Top Gear) had taken a tape so maybe someone did the same with Nick before it got wiped?

Theres always that chance Sad

I've only heard the "off air" recordings of Nicks on the Peel show that appears on the (unofficial?) Time Has Told Me vol 2 cd (Schoolkids Records?)
where (as I recall) theres a snippet of Nick saying he was wasting time in Cambridge

I guess the Peter Rice recording will turn up one day. Already more of Nick on bootleg (Saturday Sun, Fruit Tree II, Time has told me, Tanworth in arden, Tanworth in arden II, etc etc!)
than one ever had any right to hear, certainly..
Ken3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we are posted on youtube so no secret there I guess.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeTnC1DSYhg
my photos of the show are on here........or non show to be correct?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/3563287874/in/photostream
There are some other photos of the nick drake night in London, with the artists and Robert Kirby, probably on of the last public appearances he made.....well to my knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: