NickDrake.com
Discuss the music of Nick Drake.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Nick Drake Under Review......Documentary......some thoughts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHT

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over the above here is some raw input.

The first time I ever listened to a whole Nick Drake album was one dark evening driving back from St. Clairesville to Marietta Ohio. Pink Moon. Because that's the first one I bought. It's my favorite.

When I got home that night I said “I just listened to Nick Drake's Death Music”.

My favorite selection is Parasite. The best music and the lyrics are great too. It has more impact I find than River Man.

But Parasite as I've said before is weird. That's another reason I like it.

No one ever says anything about Parasite. Probably on account of what I just said. It's too weird. “Take a look you may see me on the ground ...For I am the parasite of this town ...And take a look you may see me in the dirt ...for I am the parasite who hangs from your skirt.”

You tell me what that has to say about Nick Drake.

I'm also a big proponent of the 60s early 70s and never miss an occasion to share my persuasion Nick was significantly influenced by the progressivism of this time. He was definitely a part of his generation. To hear him doing his cover of Get Together. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't want to. Things did very perceptibly wind down in 1974-1975. But you're right he may have been too involved with other concerns for this to have had much impact.
Snorri-Smari1989

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not denying the possibility that the progressivism of Drake's time, or the seeming decline of its impact in many areas during the early 70s, did not in any way affect his state of mind. And Dann made an interesting point. I just do not find there to be enough evidence that this indeed was one of his main concerns during his last years. Perhaps Dann only intended this to be a mere theory, but I generally find him to speculate a bit too much, which probably affected my scepticism in this case.

As for "Parasite," I'm also surprised it's so (relatively) seldom mentioned. I love the lyrics, and the way Nick delivers them...so much nerve!
ivyjean

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri-Smari1989 wrote:

As for "Parasite," I'm also surprised it's so (relatively) seldom mentioned. I love the lyrics, and the way Nick delivers them...so much nerve!

My husband added Nick to his Pandora profile after I started listening to him. He's not one to listen to lyrics - he doesn't even know the words to the national anthem, ffs - but he came busting out of the study one day and said, "Do you know this song "Parasite?" It's intense." It really affected him, and it takes a powerful song to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NickDrake.com Forum Index -> Fans All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: